Regiment's "crass" sound

You're the second person to mention 2002, so I am off to listen to that right now...

Any particular spots in 2003? Might as well grab that DVD as well.

in 2003 after the sops do the runs in Ostinato they're screeching a bit before the pit comes in...*if i remember offhand*

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody else cringe when the low brass comes in at the big hit in Canon (opener)?

You know what I'm talking about, right?

Gahh! :sshh:

That doesn't happen on the concert recording. I'm pretty sure it also doesn't happen on the quarters VHS (remember, that's the year they put quarters on the tapes and then told us after the fact).

YES!!! It was particularly bad then, but that was lack of tuning. I didn't hear it at Semis or Finals.

It kinda sounds like you're equating crass with EDGY. The same could be said for just about every hornline prior to 1993 with some acceptions (86&88 BD, 93 Star, 84 Cadets etc etc) Only the GREAT lines were able to pull off a more refined sound on the G bugles. But that was part of the allure of drum corps. The "EDGE" was the power. It made your teeth rattle. I remember on a judges tape from 87 when the low brass came in on a big hit... he said, "I wouldn't call a Boston philharmonic brass kind of sound .. but I get your point."

I think the point is/was/will always be ..... that edge that a hornline walks or even crosses ... is what makes drum corps drum corps. 93 Star was very ahead of it's time and all, but I think the current lines of Phantom and Crown are more true to the drum corps faithful (old farts) than anyone else. We need that edge in our face .. so we can sit there on the edge of our seats internally yelling ..... "CMON GIVE IT TO ME ...... RIP THAT ****" You know I speak the truth :)

^0^

Edited by supersop

In 03 I thought their hornline had issues all the way through finals. By that I mean a noticable number of individual players sticking out with not so good tone quality and intonation, and kind of dominating the overall brass sound for me. I don't use the word crass because I don't know what that means. I notice a little bit of the same this year, but it's gotten better with every performance I've seen or heard, and I expect the ensemble kinks to be smoothed out by finals just like last year.

I think Edgy is a better term than Crass. I particularly heard it in the Mello's when I got to attend rehearsal and the show in Lousiville. THe Mellos have a great book and the voice will project on its own but they, in my opinion, tried to play too loud and caused the edgy sound. On another note surprised to hear that Cavaliers call the sound edgy as I would prefer the Regiment sound with the fullness of the low brass.

when it comes to brass performance, i think there is more PR vs. Cavaliers debate on DCP because SCV and BD guys dont hang here as much. BD guys tend to stick to their own forum, and i dont know where the majority of SCV guys post (if they do at all).

i know a lot of people say things like "i was in san antonio this year and i hear a lot of "crass" sounds from corps X. well, you can go back to any year and find bad sounds from ANY corps in san antonio. so i dont think it's fair to compare san antonio 2006 performances to finals recordings from any year.

and of course, after Bluecoats win their first championship, they'll be thrown into the mix

Edited by bluemarlin82

In 2003 is where I would offer some criticism to "overplaying" on the brass...mainly the contras. That said, man they could put out some sound. But, perhaps just my tastes, I think their sound was a bit forced sounding in the hit of Canon in D, and then at 2:18-2:20 during the crescendo in Wild Nights, they get VERY out of control with the dynamics. I still LOVE this show though...man it was awesome seeing it in Indy. They tore the house down!!!!!

i know a lot of people say things like "i was in san antonio this year and i hear a lot of "crass" sounds from corps X. well, you can go back to any year and find bad sounds from ANY corps in san antonio. so i dont think it's fair to compare san antonio 2006 performances to finals recordings from any year.

I'm not comparing San Antonio to a finals performance. Where'd you get that? :laugh:

I'm talking about a comparison at that show of what I think are the two top hornlines this year. That's it. Nothing more. Goodness knows it'll be completely different at finals.

Some very good points being made on this thread in a civilised manner. Just wanted to thank everyone for not letting it disintegrate into a bashing fest.

P.S. I was told by PhanDoris that I should explain that I spell things like "realise" and "civilised" the way I do (with an "S" instead of a "Z") for the same reason I add "Us" to favor, color, humor, etc: I lived in Costa Rica for 4 years during my youth, and was taught grammar at an English private school with a British teacher. Lest anyone think me a grammar-challenged heathen. :)