Regiment's "crass" sound

I'm by no means a brass person, so take my analysis with a HUGE grain of salt. I've been in choirs since I was 6, so a lot of my vocabulary is vocal-related.

I'm most likely reaching here, but the best I can come up with is that IF the critique is of the general brass sound, and not just individual tears, like the contra tear at the first big hit of Sanctus in 2003, then the best way I can describe the sound is that Phantom's upper brass sounds more "nasal" compared to others. I have no idea if that is a product of the way the music is keyed, or the dissonance in some chords they have played the last few years, or a product of the way they blow into their horns. Again, I'm not a brass person.

This "nasal" aspect for me creates a kind of harsh tone in the sound, more pointed, whereas brass sound from The Cavaliers is a bit softer, more rounded. Once again, I think some of this has to do with the music arranging, because I thought The Cavaliers had a more nasal, harsh tone when they did the Latin movement in their Bond show from 2004.

This is the best I can come up with right now. However, I love the sound they create, both Phantom and The Cavaliers....and Blue Devils, and Cadets, and Carolina Crown.

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I see...I don't really notice much about PR's sops and mellos, it's more of a lower brass thing for me.

2005 is getting some love, but I still think the hornline in '04 was wonderful.

Here here (hear hear?)! 2004 is one of my favorite listens.

This "nasal" aspect for me creates a kind of harsh tone in the sound, more pointed, whereas brass sound from The Cavaliers is a bit softer, more rounded.

Been a while ago now, but I did note some brass sound issues with Cavaliers in San Antonio where I was sitting (about the 25, first row upper deck). Some harsh sounds. Again, it was almost exclusively high brass. Regiment at that time wasn't so much nasal as dirty. I think they've got their best brass sound in years, this year.

But in the past, before this year, I would say that you are almost certainly correct.

Edited by festive

I felt they were crass in 2002, and I don't think that's a very controversial statement. There was some overplaying at times in 2003, where the corps allowed their hornline to err on the side of volume, rather than caution, but I think Phantom's sound has been improving every year. Last year's line was spectacular! I would have certainly given them high horns over the Cadets.

From what I understand, 2002's hornline was really young (like 17 young), so that might have something to do with it.

Man, it's painful to watch the visual element of Regiment 2002, apologies to all who marched that show.

I've heard some bad sounds out of the sopranos in the opener so far...nothing terrible, but certainly a few people got over-eager and wanted to play the hero. The Buicks sound yummy. Gotta be honest with you, I don't watch this show often because while I love Shosty, the visual kills it for me, and I don't own the CDs. Listening to it now and not watching it...don't want to be distracted by the visuals.

Tim, you marched in 2002...can you tell us about the brass staff that year, and what you felt were differences heading into 2003 and 2004?

Also, what about the visual? Who wrote that show, was it Sanchez?

Oops, sop soloist in the Piano Concerto movement had some issues with tone.

Man, J.D. must have had a rough time arranging the 1st movement of the Piano Concerto. I'm not saying he did a bad job, far from it...but I've seen the score, and it must have been some rough nights for him figuring out how he wanted to orchestrate it. I think he learned a lesson on arranging piano concerti, because he's handled the Corigliano much differently, don't you think? The pit is much more involved in this year's than in 2002's.

Mellophones are a bit suspect (soundwise). I can see why people have some nits to pick with this show. Still find the buicky yummy though. :P

Sanchez wrote the visual in '02 and '03 and '04. However, all the major hits and visual impacts were rewritten by either Tony or Bob in '03.

Pete Bond was the brass caption head in '02. Him and JD had differing views in terms of playing fundamentals. JD wanted to start using the breathing gym then. His philosophy has always been based on that. Pete, well, as awesome as he is, told us to "Get more #### is your sound." So i think the main reason for people being crass were the two differeing philosophies. When Pete was there it was his, and when JD was there is was his.

I think the difference between the piano concerto in '02 and corigliano in '06 is Paul Rennick. JD and Paul have definately "gelled" since '03. And Brain Mason (from what I've heard) wasn't anything near Rennick.

I find the '02 season interesting at least. Out of 20 euph/baris. There were 16 new members in that line and I personally attribute our "yummy" sound to Amanda Drinkwater and Chad Dempsey who beat the living crap out of us all summer long with many tracking and basic blocks.

Eric Clubb

Buick 02-05

<filter circumvention removed: ds>

Does anybody else cringe when the low brass comes in at the big hit in Canon (opener)?

You know what I'm talking about, right?

Gahh! :sshh:

I thought I was the only one! I had to go and watch the video again last night to make sure I wasn't hearing things (according to the some of the DP'ers here this is one of the end all, be all brass performances of all time). But yes, I too, do cringe when I hear the bit hit in Canon....But I'm just a pit guy; what do I know... :P

Regiment this year has had some intonation problems as the same with Cadets and the Cavies in particular...their lower brass is one of the best, i would say...their sops...have hard times blending together in the higher ranges of the notes, and bending and the "crass" sound becomes evident. Regiment this year, however, is the best they've been in a while...

Anybody who thinks Phantom has a "crass" sound, just stay and watch them do a victory concert.

:blink:

From what I understand, 2002's hornline was really young (like 17 young), so that might have something to do with it.

A large number of Phantom members had food poisoning that night, as well. I've always wondered what role that played in the sounds that came out of the horns. ampssuck