Regiment's "crass" sound

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

whoa whoa, I can take all the comments about individuals sticking out from time to time, and even having harsh tones on occasion, but lacking power? That's where I draw the line, in no way can the corps be said to lacking power from 02-Present. Having power is the reason we're having this discussion about what 'crass' is.

You gotta wonder how Gino approaches the trumpet. I'm aware that he has produced some winnning hornlines, but I am not a fan of the 2005 cadet trumpets. It's not just 05 cadets... there are some 04 vanguard trumpet things that aren't pleasing for me either. One would suspect that since he is such a renowned trumpet player, he would have a trumpets that don't pinch and aren't harshly attacking every note. My opinion of a good trumpet section would be the sound that cavaliers have been getting in recent years. 02 had some great soloists who were playing above the staff with gorgeous sound. No pinching, no harsh playing. I haven't heard much of 06 cadets, but the same trumpet problems were apparent to me in their memorial brass recording.

You gotta wonder how Gino approaches the trumpet. I'm aware that he has produced some winnning hornlines, but I am not a fan of the 2005 cadet trumpets. It's not just 05 cadets... there are some 04 vanguard trumpet things that aren't pleasing for me either. One would suspect that since he is such a renowned trumpet player, he would have a trumpets that don't pinch and aren't harshly attacking every note. My opinion of a good trumpet section would be the sound that cavaliers have been getting in recent years. 02 had some great soloists who were playing above the staff with gorgeous sound. No pinching, no harsh playing. I haven't heard much of 06 cadets, but the same trumpet problems were apparent to me in their memorial brass recording.

Gino is the caption head.... who ever said he actually worked sectionals with the Trumpets? You should talk to the instructor of that section. I for one wasn't impressed. They did sound thin and the book wasn't that effective. I like what Jay B. does most of the time, but his writing for upper brass isn't my cup of tea. Really listen to what's written the next time you listen to '05. You may not blame the line as much as you do the score.