DCA Announces Unique Prize

I'm quite certain that Pepe slept with his Conn French Horn... it was a beat up piece of junk that just sang in the night like a "nightingale on steroids"...

Someone asked if the award is like the "Spirit of Disney" and the answer is emphatically NO...

The key here is FANS...

Disney officials selected the winners which was appreciated (had one of those catchy statues in Patriots) BUT - they were/are still corporate executives with corporate decision making processes on the brain...

This is simply a fan vote ... Joe Schmuck in the stands ... voting from the heart... not the pocketbook... such a wonderful opportunity.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I heard about this award and I wondered one thing...

Why three ALUMNI corps and only one COMPETING corps? I mean, if the request was made by the individual who made the donation, then fine. But seriously... as a member of both alumni and competing corps, I know that the financial strains of a competing corps are far greater than those of an alumni corps. That's why competing corps have to charge higher dues and such and still have to be careful about their budgets. A number of junior and senior corps have folded or at least gone inactive because of financial woes. I can't honestly think of a single alumni corps that had to close it's doors purely because of financial concerns. So I just feel that giving the competing corps a better opportunity might be to the advantage of the entire activity. Or maybe have something that gives a winner for alumni corps, class a corps, and open class corps plus a bonus for the highest vote receiving corps overall. Just a few thoughts on the matter. Althought no matter how it's done, it's still a great thing for the fans and the performers. And definitely named for the right drum corps personality.

I'm quite certain that Pepe slept with his Conn French Horn... it was a beat up piece of junk that just sang in the night like a "nightingale on steroids"...

This is simply a fan vote ... Joe Schmuck in the stands ... voting from the heart... not the pocketbook... such a wonderful opportunity.

This is a really great idea, and a great way to honor a great man.

I remember seeing him take that horn into the showers with him when all the corps were provided shower facilities at the show site, many years ago!

Hello Sayre!

Yes, the distribution of prizes is as requested by the donor. DCA will not change any aspect of this individual's vision. We are extremely grateful for this unusual contribution to the excitement surrounding our main event!

Indeed Pepe played French Horn and was one of the best ever to touch the instrument. And, as Tom Peashey has quoted Pepe as saying when asked by Pepe if he could borrow his French Horn, "I don't know if you'll know the fingering. This is one of those new 2 valve jobs", to which Pepe replied, "That's okay I don't use the valves anyway".

But prior to picking up the French Horn when Hy Dreitzer began arranging fulltime and stopped playing the French Horn for the New York Skyliners (sometime in the early 60's) Pepe was a solid lead soprano, even won a soprano individual contest or two (probably even more). That is unless Riggie Laus was around. :D

Hello Sayre!

Yes, the distribution of prizes is as requested by the donor. DCA will not change any aspect of this individual's vision. We are extremely grateful for this unusual contribution to the excitement surrounding our main event!

I kinda thought so. That's awesome though. It's always a good thing when people are supporting the activity. I wasn't asking out of ungratefulness or anything like that. Just curious, you know? Anyways... it's a very good thing and like I said before, what a cool opportunity for both the corps and the fans.

Thank you to the annomous donor!

• 1 month later...
Hello Sayre!

Fred and Tom, you say that the donor wishes to remain anonymous. I have two questions, please. ONE: Are you, or anyone else, at liberty to say how much is the $ dollar amount of each of the four prizes?

I know that the Bridgemen, Cabs Alumni, and Preston Scout House were the three alumni winners. TWO: Who was awarded the prize in the competing corps category?

The Hawthorne Caballeros won the competing corps category.