2006 Phantom

I realize that I will certainly be ripped and ridiculed for expressing my opinion, and that's fine. These days, opinions must fit within the guidelines of certain individuals that frequent this forum to be given consideration. Last evening, by some mis-alignment of the planets, the Phantom Regiment came within 1 point of the Cavaliers? Quite honestly the creativity, innovation and visual eye candy the Cavaliers offer is on a different level to Phantoms tired, re-hashed and boring Fuast presentation. For god sakes there were guard members in Phantom literally tripping over their flags last evening, not to mention equipment drops at key moments. I will say their hornline can play loud, but I heard several nasty, crass sounds coming from them last night. As far as a percussion section goes, I seem to remember hearing one a few times. They are supposed to have this great persussion section, if so, why don't they use them? Percussion has a secondary role in their 2006 presentaion, makes you wonder at the scores they get. 2006 Phantom just flat out lacks creativity, innovation and entertainment value for this long time drum corps fan, and is quite frankly like watching paint dry. Might have been a good show 10 years ago though. If by some bizarre occurance Phantom wins this year, I for one will be left scratching my head. Oh well, flame away, ready set go!

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are entitled to your own opinion. But I was there last night as well, and 2006 Phantom wowed me, as did The Cavaliers. I think these 2 will be 1 and 2 come Finals. Phantom's hornline is being compared to the 2003 hornline, which was AMAZING :whistle: . They will probably win percussion; because they are THAT GOOD. Their guard will improve as much as they need to. This year's Phantom Regiment will be compared to their 1996 World Champion Corps when the season is done. You will see. Basically, I just disagree with you, that's all.

... 2006 Phantom wowed me, as did The Cavaliers. I think these 2 will be 1 and 2 come Finals.

I'd love to see that happen, but I'd hardly think that BD is just going let 2nd slip away from them... heck, they still have a perfectly good chance at 1st! Once tonight's scores come out, we'll have a better idea, but it will still be completely up in the air until Quarters as far as 1-3 goes.

What a season.

I as well was a little surprised by how close they are to the Cavaliers....but I wouldn't have had them too far back either. I saw this show in early July and then again in Atlanta last weekend. I was blown away with how much their program had developed in one month. Their Closer is really what sells the program IMHO.

I realize that I will certainly be ripped and ridiculed for expressing my opinion, and that's fine. These days, opinions must fit within the guidelines of certain individuals that frequent this forum to be given consideration. Last evening, by some mis-alignment of the planets, the Phantom Regiment came within 1 point of the Cavaliers? Quite honestly the creativity, innovation and visual eye candy the Cavaliers offer is on a different level to Phantoms tired, re-hashed and boring Fuast presentation. For god sakes there were guard members in Phantom literally tripping over their flags last evening, not to mention equipment drops at key moments. I will say their hornline can play loud, but I heard several nasty, crass sounds coming from them last night. As far as a percussion section goes, I seem to remember hearing one a few times. They are supposed to have this great persussion section, if so, why don't they use them? Percussion has a secondary role in their 2006 presentaion, makes you wonder at the scores they get. 2006 Phantom just flat out lacks creativity, innovation and entertainment value for this long time drum corps fan, and is quite frankly like watching paint dry. Might have been a good show 10 years ago though. If by some bizarre occurance Phantom wins this year, I for one will be left scratching my head. Oh well, flame away, ready set go!

Thank you, may your corps be as creative and "eye-candyish" as you dream. Have a good one.

gotta ask the obvious question

If Regiment lacks "entertainment value" how come the crowd went nuts for them and gave the a substained standing ovation - many leaping out of their seats before the end of the program.. and then after the ovation died down it started up all over again?

One thing is certain - its entertaining. They had the crowd eating out of their hands last night.

Edited by George

Thank you for your opinion. :) Now push the call light and tell the nurse your ready for your medication. :whistle:

Other gems by "Dans:"

The Cadets have clearly been slotted by the judging community at this point.

The judging community has obviously decided the Cadets will come in 5th this year no matter how good they become, what a shame.

Because the judging (I use the term loosely) community has decided about a month ago that the 2006 Cadets are not worthy of merit.

Come on now George, we all know you can't hold Phantom to the same standards as the Cadets.

Some of us still remember the way Phantom showed Cadets a lack of respect at finals last year. Phantom showed an arrogance and lack of class and I see their fans have similar traits. Enjoy your party now cause the Cadets aren't going to lay down and die, the fat lady aint singing yet!

Talk about not understanding what you're watching, but of course Phantom gets a pass on this because they are not the Cadets.

Phantom plays very well but is very bland and un-interesting.

This corps is a powerful machine and I would bet they are the corps the Cavaliers and Blue Devils are looking over their shoulder at. Go Cadets!!!!!!

"Phantom won Percussion again!" That will come to an end this week when they see Cadets!

This corps is going to be freaking amazing! I know, some will accuse me of being bias, some will say several corps are predicting greatness this season, but I'm telling you, there is something really special brewing with the Cadets. Obviously some will not care for the 2006 Cadets just because they are the Cadets, but I think many will be suprised how cool their show is this year! As you stand and watch this corps, one can't help but realize there are some great minds at work here! Bring on the season, the Cadets should do very well!

-----------

I don't think it would be too crazy to say that at this point, you are just really, really disappointed that your favourite corps is not scoring as well as others, and your reaction to that is to lash out at another corps. It's your opinion, of course, and maybe one day once the season is over you'll be able to look at Regiment 2006 and see it in an unbiased way, and see it for the exciting show that it is.

But if you don't, and if you choose to prop up the Cadets by saying that the things Regiment is doing are ten years out of date (a ridiculous comment, and one that makes your drum corps knowledge suspect), then I don't think anyone is going to really care. Because frankly, most of the audiences Regiment has played to don't seem to hold the same opinion.

Live by the judges, die by the judges. You can't have your cake and eat it too.

Have a great day! :)

P.S. I would implore phans and phormer members not to give in to the temptation to blast this guy...he is after all just stating his opinion, and we don't need to speak for the corps...the fact that they are less than 1 point away from the front runner speaks for itself. Plus it would give us a black eye. Let's just thank him for his opinion and tell him to have a nice day.

Edited by The Tsar

While I wouldn't compare Phantom to drying paint, I do see a creativity gap bet. the two corps with the Cavaliers winning that race. I dunno, perhaps it's my bias that causes me to love the Cavaliers, and dislike everything else. :whistle: I wouldn't buy it for a second if PR pulled off the win.

That was sarcasm, so don't even reply people.

Edited by siuehist