SCV's Request

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anybody not like Vanguard? I have never met a person who just doesn't like Vanguard. They have to be the most popular corps in DCI.

Because year after year, they give fans exactly what they want. They've never done anything to make them lose fans. What a novel idea...

Hmmm..... If they have to ask you to yell..... I don't know about this. The Vanguard yell is a tradition born out of spontaneity. If it doesn't happen this year as loud as the last two years, is it really a big deal? I can understand wanting to hype up the members, but still I have mixed feelings about this....
I prefer the word; "Contrived", as in "This is the most contrived thing I've ever heard of.".
yes, "contrived" applies here.

Sorry Vanguard! I still like you!!

Sorry to burst you bubbles but the Vanguard Yell has always been planned. Not by the staff, but by members. I've been told that during the very early season that the Vanguard Cadets are the ones who pick out the spot and do the Yell and as time goes by and people pick it up, more and more people in the audience do the yell. I'm not sure how long they've been doing this. Back before 02 the the Yell was much less obvious, but 97 is the first year that I can I think you can actually hear it on the recording.

Long story short. Vanguard Cadets are the ones who start the yell every season.

Edited by Spirit Age-Out

Surely they keep it in mind though when arranging the music... why else is there a nice VANGUARD sized gap in every show... :)

Sorry to burst you bubbles but the Vanguard Yell has always been planned. Not by the staff, but by members. I've been told that during the very early season that the Vanguard Cadets are the ones who pick out the spot and do the Yell and as time goes by and people pick it up, more and more people in the audience do the yell. I'm not sure how long they've been doing this. Back before 02 the the Yell was much less obvious, but 97 is the first year that I can I think you can actually hear it on the recording.

Long story short. Vanguard Cadets are the ones who start the yell every season.

Well then, the Vanguard CADETS are planning the yell, not the Vanguard members.

I absolutely love SCV and always have. They are the classiest corps on the field. But I'm with the few others that think that asking for a yell at a specific time is just, well...contrived (to borrow a word from above).

Maybe, if they continue to write in specific places in their show where they want the yell, the corps itself should yell "Vanguard" for the first half of the season, so everyone can figure it out.

However, doing it this way doesn't make it that special any more, IMHO.

Frankly, I don't care one way or the other. Can you imagine how magical it must be for the members, finishing up the show under the lights to a stadium full of screaming fans, you get to the huge build...and they all stand up and scream "VANGUARD!!!" just for you....everything at that point ceases to become about placement. I can imagine if it was me out there wearing red and green (or red and white now...boo), when I came back in after the yell, I would be playing my face off in thanks to the crowd. And I will be in that theater, screaming VANGUARD, regardless of who starts the thing at the beginning of the season. (Even though the members cant hear me, I'm still sticking up for my Santa Clara Vanguard!!)

VANGUARD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I can't wait to teach my girlfriend the ways of the Vanguard yell. It might only be in the theatre, but it'll be cool. I feel sorry for the poor folks in front of us tomorrow, cause God knows, that girl is loud. :beer:

The yell is one of the main things that gets my heart racing at a show. And I'm just the guy yelling it. I can't imagine how hyped the members are when the crowd screams like that for them. I wish I was on the field for the yell at the 2004 finals. To me, that was one of the greatest drum corps moments I've ever witnessed. The intensity of the performance after the massive Vanguard yell pretty much stopped my heart. So now I always have a defibulator and a change of underwear on hand when SCV takes the field...just in case.

BTW, seems like the same formula from 2004 - a bunch of short random-sounding blasts, then 4 "tension building" half notes and VANGUARD!!