Thoughts on Allentown - Saturday Night

Finally, I got to see a show for the first time this year. I've had a little money trouble since i'm a college student, so i'm poor. So I was just glad to get to at least one show. And boy was I pleased with this lineup.

The first corps i got to see was Crossmen. And I'm a little biased cause I have some friends marching there this season. The show was fairly descent and very entertaining. It was one of the more entertaining shows of the night. One thing I noticed was their closer was simply dirty. It was hard to make out what they were trying to play by the end, and it just seemed to end on a bad note.

Spirit of JSU was quite a step up from Crossmen. There was a lot more impact in their brass than Crossmen, and you could easily tell. They had a lot of fun sections to their show. The drill got muddy from time to time. Sometimes it was hard to tell what they were trying to accomplish.

Madison was next. I don't know why some people have a problem with their show. Their brass was awesome. There was a lot of exposed runs in that book and I'm really surprised their score wasn't a little higher.

Blue Knights came on, and I really wasn't expecting much, and I was proven wrong. Their show was dark and fun to watch. The blend in that brassline was beautiful to listen to. It could've used a little more drive to it. But other than that, I was a great show to watch.

Carolina Crown was next. Their show was ok. Had some nice visual impact, but the music i didn't care for too much. And the drumline didn't too much either, which I found kind of odd. It used to be that their drumline was smokin and ther brassline was lacking. It was completely different for this show.

Santa Clara Vanguard.........what can i say. My second favorite show of the night. I loved every second of the show. The end of the show was great with them marching off the field. I just thought it put the icing on the cake.

Bluecoats were next. Great first half, not so great second half. I don't know. The first half of the show was fun and exciting. I loved it. The second half was just bland. Their brass should not be .2 points behind BD. Musically i don't think their close at all. Secondly, the drum scores. There should be a much larger spread between BD and Bluecoats. I'm sorry, but the Bluecoats were super dirty tonight. Not sure why, cause I've heard the D-line has been smokin this year. But my brother and I were cringing at some of the sections because of all the dirt. I just hope that it was a bad night.

Finally, I've been waiting all year to see BD. They didn't disappoint. They were in a league of their own. I haven't seen Cav's show, and since they've been beating them, they have to have another crazy show, cause Blue Devil's show was too much fun to watch. The first minute and a half was all percussion with some brass solos here and their. The drumline was just nuts. I think the drumline got a 19.5. Doesn't surprise me. They were really clean. When the brass played the Godfather theme, the whole crowd went nuts. Their sound was much bigger and a lot louder than the rest of the corps. I'm also glad to see that they have a lot of General Effect visually. The past few years their drilll has taken a back seat to the music. But this year musically and visually they're pretty even. This show was just fun and exciting all around. My favorite show of the night by far.

Overall, I haven't been more pleased with a drum corps show. One of my favorite years was 1999, and this year may contest for that spot. There wasn't much I didn't like about any of this shows tonight. I'm very happy that all of the corps were able to put out some fun and exciting shows. I'm not understand much of the bad comments about some of these corps. I think they're all doing a fantastic job. I'm just glad myself that I can watch all of these corps and just enjoy them without giving harsh criticism towards them, because I normally do. Granted, I haven't seen the Cadets this year, lol. So I should probably shut my mouth. But that's a topic for another day.

The drumline was just nuts. I think the drumline got a 19.5.

Nope, 19.2, Bluecoats hot on thier tail with a 19.1. Bloo's bottom bass was out for the night. Some nasty poisonous spider bite, from what I heard.

Phantom got the high of the weekend with a 19.4, over half a point spread from the Cadets and Cavaliers on Friday night. The spread is on target too, no inflation there. Phantom Regiment percussion was completely superior in every way on Friday night.

Their brass should not be .2 points behind BD. Musically i don't think their close at all. Secondly, the drum scores. There should be a much larger spread between BD and Bluecoats. I'm sorry, but the Bluecoats were super dirty tonight. Not sure why, cause I've heard the D-line has been smokin this year. But my brother and I were cringing at some of the sections because of all the dirt. I just hope that it was a bad night.

Finally, I've been waiting all year to see BD. They didn't disappoint. They were in a league of their own. I haven't seen Cav's show, and since they've been beating them, they have to have another crazy show, cause Blue Devil's show was too much fun to watch. The first minute and a half was all percussion with some brass solos here and their. The drumline was just nuts. I think the drumline got a 19.5. Doesn't surprise me. They were really clean. When the brass played the Godfather theme, the whole crowd went nuts. Their sound was much bigger and a lot louder than the rest of the corps. I'm also glad to see that they have a lot of General Effect visually. The past few years their drilll has taken a back seat to the music. But this year musically and visually they're pretty even. This show was just fun and exciting all around. My favorite show of the night by far.

Psssst...your bias is showing, "Blue Devil Fan"... :ph34r:

Hey...how did the Blue Knights do? I fell asleep during their show...and I just now got up. Nice sound...but geez....bored the crap out of me.

Hey...how did the Blue Knights do? I fell asleep during their show...and I just now got up. Nice sound...but geez....bored the crap out of me.

I'm absolutely biased, but sometimes I wonder if some people just roll into a show expecting Blue Knights to be "boring," "over-intellectual," etc. and let it color their perception. I can not for the life of me put myself in the shoes of someone who thinks that, and I've definitely tried. It's not jazzy or fun, but the emotional content of the literature that they're playing is so high, it baffles me when people dismiss it as boring. I suppose I could understand if the performers weren't conveying that emotional content, but I've seen them numerous times this year and have yet to see that as a problem.

I'm not docking your opinion, but I find it curious because I can't relate to it at all. But like I said, I am biased, and maybe that's coloring my perception... not that I give my old corps a free pass, but this year's show is so exciting to me.