Official DCI Quarterfinals Cinecast Thread

I HOPE to go. Do you think it will be crowded? I don't think I can make it there by 5 (my daughter's corp is on later, so I will be ok).

Betsy

Hi Betsy. I have absolutely NO idea what to expect. It's a first time for this theater. Give me some idea on how to recognize you and I'll be sure to say hi. What corp does your daughter perform with? If she's with SCV I know EXACTLY when to yell "SCV" during their performance (saw the video tutorial a few days ago lol). If she's with Bluecoats I will be Blooing as soon as they hit the screen.

John

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be in Madison but I'm glad to see there's a drum corps community alive and kicking along the Bend in the Arkansas - I marched in the old (OLD) Young Tulsan's drum corps back in the early 70's and have always wished such a lively, dynamic metropolitan area could get at least one corps together - now if something starts in Kansas and you include Texas, maybe, just maybe there may come a Great Plains Revival.

I'm a TU graduate (1980) and went to Tulsa Central.

Go get 'em, Okies!

regards - Jim

Jim, when I was in high school several of my friends and I traveled to Tulsa once a week to play with a group called Young Tulsans ('79 and '80 prolly). By then it was a concert band only however, the only local outlet for us outside of our school. I didn't know they had a drum corp previously. I forget the director's name.

Jim, when I was in high school several of my friends and I traveled to Tulsa once a week to play with a group called Young Tulsans ('79 and '80 prolly). By then it was a concert band only however, the only local outlet for us outside of our school. I didn't know they had a drum corp previously. I forget the director's name.

Yeah, it was Jerrold Lawless Jr. - (his dad was the band director at Nathan Hale HS) and he taught my sister at Central - then left for Tulsa Junior College when it first opened (now Tulsa Community College) and that's where I worked with him, starting in 1973 (and going to Romania and doing the Bicentennial Tour).

Apparently YT's marching band competed at the 1968 VFW and Mr. Lawless saw the drum corps competition and decided he wanted one. The group was robust enough to go buy a set of equipment - horns, drums, flags, the whole smash - then they took the field around 1970 - Mr. Lawless was William Revelli's fair-haired boy on the Eb clarinet and ran the corps something like the Michigan Band.

However, he did have the smarts to hire Truman Crawford to write the music for us - which is where I first heard the name - "Oklahoma!", "Victory at Sea", "Bridge Over Troubled Waters"(?!?), some kind of "Chicago" salute that I think he first did for the Royalaires.

Mr. L then made an even smarter move and hired Mitch Markovitch to teach the drumline - Mitch would later go on to teach the Argonne Rebels of Grreat Bend, KA, where I met him in 1979 when I was on the horn staff (after marching BD in 1977).

The Young Tulsans did the Great Plains circuit for a year or so to moderate regard. They very quickly found out that the corps would easily take the organization over and they bagged it - when I joined it was a parade group that we took to Romania. The horns and flags were sold off shortly thereafter - YT was always at its best as a band - and has two World Music Championships - 1964/68 (the same festival in Kerkraade, Holland that BD won last year - but we beat them to it by almost 40 years! - and they only won it once - come to think of it, I've got three championship groups on my resume...who knew?)

I was assistant conductor of the YT's from 1974 to 1978 or so. doing the Junior High Band - it was a great lesson in how to run a rehearsal and the resume item got me into grad school and beyond. Mr. L's insistance that we learn to read bugle music helped a great deal when I marched with the Valiant Knights of Enid in 1975 and later with BD.

Black Gold came years after that - so there is a history (albeit a rather strange one) of successful drum corps in Northeastern Oklahoma - and unless the quality of bands like Union and the rest siphon off the energy (why join a startup corps when you have such great performance opportunities in your home school - which my corps Atlantic Guardian is going through now).

If I were you I'd have a table and a sign up sheet at the broadcast - talk to the theatre - or stand up before the show starts and flat-out ask folks if they are interested in starting a corps - and then start a 501 ©3 and get it going on - get the names on paper, have a meeting time scheduled before you walk in the door.

You won't have a better venue for finding drum corps nuts - then the hard work really starts.

regards - Jim

I just called the theater

There are 198 seats in the theater and 155 are remaining to purchase.

I'll be the mom rooting for glassmen.

Should I stand up and yell, that's my girl when glassmen take the field? :P

Betsy

I just called the theater

There are 198 seats in the theater and 155 are remaining to purchase.

I'll be the mom rooting for glassmen.

Should I stand up and yell, that's my girl when glassmen take the field? :P

Betsy

The venue may fill up with tickets sold at the door - happens here in Maine, too.

BY all means, stand up and go crazy - it's not like you're watching a Bergman film, it's drum corps - carry on like a crazy fool and yell for your girl.

regards - Jim

HUNTSVILLE--I'll be there with a charcoal gray PR shirt. I'm bringing three more phanatics with me!

Edited by Phansouth

Goodluck! Have a greattime at Huntsville Cinecast.

rimshotTerrance :)

Those of you who are attending the broadcast of quarterfinals in the theater, post here!

Where to find a list of theatres?