DCI is moving to Indy

kenelbow, thanks for the on-site reporting! Made me wish I could have been there for sure. I really like hearing that this was something Indianapolis had been pursuing, makes me proud of my fair city. Heh, I'm also glad that DCI held off until Indy had the venue to make it work.

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a fan of the 10 year plan. I'd rather see it there every 4 or 5 years. If it must be there for a second year in a row, that's ok.

The West Coast IS screwed because aside from who we have here, most of the other corps DON'T come here consistently as part of their tour. It was nice to see Cavies, Scouts, Glassmen, Cadets, and Phantom come out for those brief times they did. The pageantry arts in the West (and I'm even talking outside of California) is considerably growing. Some of the kids/parents in those programs don't have the finances to travel to see the big game, and everyone knows how much better an experience it is to see it live than on video.

...and what I've said doesn't just apply to the West. It applies to any other region of the country other than the midwest. I'm not bashing the midwest, but there are quite a few other people that would love a slice of the pie.

There's my 2-cents.

That being said, I think this is a good move for DCI. Logistically it will be easier for corps to get there (I-70 / I-465 are good and easily accesible roads). Plus those who need to fly in can do so will a little more ease and less cost then, let's say, flying into Madison. If Indy's airport isn't cost-effective, Cincinnati Ohio's airport is only about an hour-and-a-half away, and many airlines fly in there.

Trust me, Indy's airport is more cost-effective that Cincinnati. Cincy's airport is bigger, but Delta has pretty much a monopoly of the traffic there, and hence sets the price pretty high. It is common practice here in Cincy for travellers to fly out of Dayton, Columbus, Indy and Louisville .... all of which are usually cheaper.

Edited by hughesmr

Being a native Hoosier, I think this news is truly great! Yes, we live in Wisconsin now, and love it here, but we still bleed Hoosier Crimson.

Indy has made DCI feel welcome, has opened doors for them, and wants to be a generous host.

There was a framed sign over my desk in the newsroom at the Kokomo (Ind.) Tribune:

"If you're not making someone angry, you're not doing your job". From reading the posts, and I've read every single one, DCI is doing one heckuva job!

By the way ... I saw the clip from News Channel 13 out of Indy ... Did you know that Ball State University (Muncie, Ind.) graduate Dave Letterman was their weatherman in the late '60s? Indy is his home town. His mom still lives there.

We are all suspicious of the unknown ... but ... c'mon ...

The climate will also be less volatile. We all know it's too hot in Orlando, as well as rain being more probable in other locations in the south.

Can any old farts here finish the following lyric?:

"God didn't make the little green apples, and _____________________ "

What fills in the blank above is most CERTAINLY not true!!! :)

The West Coast IS screwed because aside from who we have here, most of the other corps DON'T come here consistently as part of their tour.

I can see your frustration, but it doesn't make sense as to why hold championships out there. West Coast corps already HAVE to travel through the Rocky's and then back every summer. Every single person on DCP and any fan understands that, but there are a LOT of other corps that aren't on the West Coast that wouldn't be able to finance a trip out there, even every 4-5 years. Why hold a championship out there, if lets say not every Div. II/III corps would be able to steadily make it out there, because guess what, there is more to Championships then Division I. Struggling Div. II/III Corps shouldn't be faced with raising tour fees and a possible backlash at their attendence just to compete at Worlds.

Just my 2 cents as well.

Trust me, Indy's airport is more cost-effective that Cincinnati. Cincy's airport is bigger, but Delta has pretty much a monopoly of the traffic there, and hence sets the price pretty high. It is common practice here in Cincy for travellers to fly out of Dayton, Columbus, Indy and Louisville .... all of which are usually cheaper.

Cincinnati's airport is rated the most expensive in the country, period. That is unbelievable, but true. Indy & Louisville are bargains in comparison.