DCI is moving to Indy

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I understand the logical approach DCI has made in reaching this agreement, In the end I think it could be what keeps DCI from becoming something radically different. I really think this is the best for DCI, any city that goes after you to be there and doesn't give up is good. Having said all that, I thought DCI was drum corps INTERNATIONAL not drum corps United States and some other crappy places, In Canada we have had some great corps in the past in Open Class, A Class, A/60 and some great corps in Div. II/III which is still part of DCI. You want to complain about travelling from the West how about travelling where for every dollar you spend, you need to raise anywhere from 1.10 to 1.25 (could be as much as an additional 25% in touring costs), how about no Div. 1 shows here in a number of years, no not a regional, not a finals but a plain old show. (Kawanis did do an exhibition in Canada last yearor the year before) I know a little off topic so I will only say, we choose to be a part of drum corps, attend the DCI shows so whether I personally like the decisions DCI, the BOD, Dan Acheson or any committee make, I will respect that decision as it will be in the best interest of DCI, thus allowing it to continue and thrive, I will still support DCI and hopefully attend finals soon, now that I know I can plan ahead, for the next 10 years. To anyone who really feels cheated, go out put togther a proposal to DCI, arrange the stadium, including concessions, parking, hotel deals, talk to the school distrcts for housing, get committments from these people as well as sponsors, be sure there is adaquate facilities around for corps, fans etc.... give it to DCI and when they say 'No Thanks' then you can complain about being shafted. Just my $0.02 or in canada i gues that would be my $0.0185 CDN

I can see your frustration, but it doesn't make sense as to why hold championships out there. West Coast corps already HAVE to travel through the Rocky's and then back every summer. Every single person on DCP and any fan understands that, but there are a LOT of other corps that aren't on the West Coast that wouldn't be able to finance a trip out there, even every 4-5 years. Why hold a championship out there, if lets say not every Div. II/III corps would be able to steadily make it out there, because guess what, there is more to Championships then Division I. Struggling Div. II/III Corps shouldn't be faced with raising tour fees and a possible backlash at their attendence just to compete at Worlds.

And, of course, there are no struggling Div. II/III corps out West that can't afford the money to travel eastward. :blink: Many West corps DON'T cross the Rockies. And if they do, it's at a monsterous expense (The Academy and Mystikal to name two).

Why can't anyone see things from a west perspective? Do you really think that we have no competitive circuit out here or something? Thare are about 10 corps at each of our shows here in California...TEN. That's a lot more than just Div. I corps, even though we do have 7 of those as well.

I'm not saying we should hold Finals anywhere for more than a year at a time, but it sure would be nice to share a piece of the "money saving" pie with some of the California kids! (And yeah, I'm aware that DCI is doing so for the first time in 1007...thank you DCI!)

Edited by PeeWee

Good move for stability, and I can assume that this is a financially lucrative agreement for both parties.

However, I wonder if it is wise to commit to a stadium with completely unknown acoustics??

I just got back from witnessing Drum Corps history...

Someone beat me to the punch on what was said. The mayor joked about his medal being the first and last music award. DCI wants Indianapolis to be the Marching Music Capitol of the World. A lot of thanks was given to BOA for thier help and initial move a few years ago. It seems from the mayor comments that DCI was a major reason for the roof idea. It was mentioned that they would be able to open it for DCI expirence and never have a rained out show here because they could close it if nessacary.

DCI Championships in Lucas stadium from 2008 for 10 years, skipping 2014. Memorial Stadium at IU will be the backup in 2008 if Lucas is not ready.

For all Indy people, Fox and WTHR where there filming for the news and the Indy Star should have a great article on it tommorow.

Edited by Begines

From the ICVA release:

The ICVA estimates the Drum Corps International World Championships will have a beneficial economic impact of about $10 million per year with a projected impact that could exceed $100 million through 2018.

That, my friends, is one of the key reasons why Indy courted DCI, and stuck to it!!! This not only was a smart business dcision for the city of Indianapolis, but will also be a win for DCI as I am sure stadium rental will come at a far less price then Camp Randall and others have over the years.

And to think it took ESPN, and still other TV networks to realize DCI draws revenue!!!

With all of the money that is saved, lets hope that ticket prices go down as well.

:wall::wub::rock::rock::rock::blink::rock:

I'm sure that from a logistics and planning point of view, this is an excellant move for DCI. From the fan's point of view, maybe not so good. Can you imagine how people would scream if the Super Bowl was played in the same city for ten consecutive years? :blink:

The NFL doesn't have dozens of teams with buses and trucks that they have to coordinate around the country year after year. I'm a fan, but the kids on the field are more important than I am. Just a thought.