27th Lancers say goodbye - Madison 1986

Twenty years ago, the 27th Lancers performed their last show at prelims in Madison. The corps missed making finals by fractions of a point and was relegated to the back of the stands during Finals.

During the day on Saturday, members and staff of the corps spray-painted a farewell sign using the giant white scrim that was part of the "Sondheim Suite" production.

I think it read... "We gave it our all... We have nothing left to give... Goodbye Two-Seven"

The sign was walked across the back stands during retreat.

Does anyone have a photograph of the sign?

Will any 1986 alumni be in Madison this week?

I remember this very well.

Truly one of the saddest moments in corpsdom. Another moment that ranks a close second with me is in 1980 when Blue Stars missed making finals by 2.3 points. Another stalwart of DCI finals since 1972's first championship.

Blue Stars put on a very powerful performance in exhibition that night (13th place corps used to play the exhibition) leaving many wondering if they should have been in finals!!

I remember this very well.

Truly one of the saddest moments in corpsdom. Another moment that ranks a close second with me is in 1980 when Blue Stars missed making finals by 2.3 points. Another stalwart of DCI finals since 1972's first championship.

Blue Stars put on a very powerful performance in exhibition that night (13th place corps used to play the exhibition) leaving many wondering if they should have been in finals!!

Even sadder to be a Trooper that day.

Troopers were 13th on the sheets, but got a penalty for being late. The year before, they started with a 51 and ended up with an 81. In '80, started with a bang at a 66, and finished with a 76. Many reasons, but no good rehashing.

Even sadder to be a Trooper that day.

Troopers were 13th on the sheets, but got a penalty for being late. The year before, they started with a 51 and ended up with an 81. In '80, started with a bang at a 66, and finished with a 76. Many reasons, but no good rehashing.

We would have been 9th or 10th in the first DCI, but a penalty placed us 13th...by half a tenth!

We would have been in finals that day too, If our scores were 30 points higher. Or if we had marched a field show in 86. :P

For some reason, we were "regrouping" in 86. We fielded again in 87 with pretty much the SAME GROUP. Of course, by then, Tuthill had decided that the Argonauts would be fielding a marching band from 88 onward.

Edited by apoch003