Will Phantom win Brass AND drums?!

With Phantom winning percussion and brass tonight at Quarters, one can only wonder if they will keep it up and take home the trophies on finals night.

They only won horns by .1 tonight, but they have Steve Calhoun judging tomorrow night which has loved them all summer and gave them the nod in Atlanta. So, if they win tomorrow night, they will have a good chance barring a large margin of loss on finals night. As a BD fan I'd say they should watch for the devs but the judges have liked Cavaliers sound this season so we'll see.

Drums I think is no question that PR will win as they have much of the season (they won tonight by half a point for crying out loud). It would take some seriously crazy numbers for Devils to make up the difference of tonight's .5 victory when it comes to averaging the scores on finals night to see who wins the trophy.

SO, looking at it that way it seems as though there is a good chance for PR to take home high drums and high horns. If they manage to pull that amazing feat off, here's another question: has a corps ever won drums AND horns but placed third overall?

This could get interesting.

Edited by kas87

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With Phantom winning percussion and brass tonight at Quarters, one can only wonder if they will keep it up and take home the trophies on finals night.

They only won horns by .1 tonight, but they have Steve Calhoun judging tomorrow night which has loved them all summer and gave them the nod in Atlanta. So, if they win tomorrow night, they will have a good chance barring a large margin of loss on finals night. As a BD fan I'd say they should watch for the devs but the judges have liked Cavaliers sound this season so we'll see.

Drums I think is no question that PR will win as they have much of the season (they won tonight by half a point for crying out loud). It would take some seriously crazy numbers for Devils to make up the difference of tonight's .5 victory when it comes to averaging the scores on finals night to see who wins the trophy.

SO, looking at it that way it seems as though there is a good chance for PR to take home high drums and high horns. If they manage to pull that amazing feat off, here's another question: has a corps ever won drums AND horns but placed third overall?

This could get interesting.

Pretty sure they aren't doing the "tournament" scoring for captions like they used to. Case in point...last year at finals it was originally announced that phantom and cavies won brass, when in fact cadets did. I think they were taking them straight off the finals recaps and misread.

This is a great year. Sure many could have guessed that PR could win horns, but percussion in a blow out. Not many would have predicted that.

To see those scores they must have gotten a lot better and applied a different approach than mid July. Shocked that they for one were ahead of BD and secondly by a decent gap.

As for percussion I would say it looks pretty good whether it be by average or straight finals score as Prosperie is judging finals and has given them great numbers all year long.

let me guess....

"Cadets are lightyears ahead in what they are doing with their brass!!! Where is the credit for all the demand? cadets easily have the hardest brass book this year!!!"

...or it could be that PR's brass scores this year have rarely been better than either Cavaliers or BD. Thursday, they eked out a .1 spread on Cavies, but they were DOWN .3 from Cavies 4 nights ago. Wasn't there Thursday night, but I can say that on Sunday, that .3 was a bit generous considering the differences in sound quality while both lines were on the move.

Edited by mobrien