Don't Ask, Don't Tell

I hope I did not overlook this answer, but Quarterfials has always been the TESTING ground for the camera people. They don't come into the shows already knowing where to point the camera. They get a script and each night that script gets modified before the next show pending the corps does not change something which throws things out of whack. This was talked about on PBS many times concerning the camera angles long ago.

Yes, very true. Prelims used to be a rehearal for the staff to let the camera people know where they should point or where they'd like them to point on finals night. And the staff wasn't telling them all high camera angles back then either. I remember when Zingali took over, he was actually writing down high cam here, side left here and so on......sometimes it was too much side left, but you get my point.

They didn't get it wrong for the 50 yard line drum solo in 1979 and 80, I can tell you that much. He was adament about that, and I'm sure he wasn't the only one that made sure most of the guard work in almost all of the corps was shown. I know, very sad for the drum lines.....but you could certainly hear them!!! :beer:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

The doors at the theatre have two purposes. Not only can you enter...but you can leave, too.

<**>

This is a discussion forum. Things get discussed. Your retort is ill-advised, albeit allowable however laughable and trite.

This thread has two purposes: Respond or Do Not Respond. You chose poorly.

they should just show the medium high camera so we can take in the whole field drill, and then they could have closeups in a small inset in the upper right corner of the screen for the soloists, or for closeups of the drumline during their break or specific shots of the lead guard people who are portraying a character or doing solo work.

I like the sound of that!!!

The doors at the theatre have two purposes. Not only can you enter...but you can leave, too.
<**>

This is a discussion forum. Things get discussed. Your retort is ill-advised, albeit allowable however laughable and trite.

This thread has two purposes: Respond or Do Not Respond. You chose poorly.

To each his own. I thought it was perfectly appropriate, under the circumstances. :beer:

My problem with the comment about the theater doors is that Mark didn't add anything to the discussion! If he would have said, "You're wrong - I liked the camera work during the cinecast, and this is why..." that would have been much better.

Sir, You have a somewhat valid point, as you saw the cinecast and I did not. And I will even concede that had you been the producer/director, the end result may have been better. But to find fault with the presentation, does not give you a refund.

Nor does it allow a 'time warp', where you can go back and view it again, edited to your liking.

I've gone to the "Classic Countdowns", and they weren't 'perfect', but I didn't jump on the forum and criticize the show.

How would it be if all fans of the activity wanted pro-rated refunds, based on their satisfaction levels when they attend events?

I understand this is a forum for opinions. My opinion is there is too much negativity, toward an activity that is so positive.

Studio Tan- That link is hilarious! I don't mind being on the recieving end, because I've had my share of dishing it out. b**bs

How would it be if all fans of the activity wanted pro-rated refunds, based on their satisfaction levels when they attend events?

I understand this is a forum for opinions. My opinion is there is too much negativity, toward an activity that is so positive.

I agree about the negativity. This activity IS positive, and I am careful to be very positive toward the corps and individual members.

However, I think my point is getting lost. Of course I would never go to a live outdoor event and request a refund if I was not entertained. To the contrary, I would CLAP and support the corps, because it is the right thing to do.

I DID enjoy the performances last night. However, I do think that most people expect the presentation (as far as camera work is concerned) to be much better. It would actually cost LESS to have a better production! They could use less elaborate cameras, and indeed, fewer cameras and cameramen! There is no need for goofy camera work! I think that the director is almost trying to generically heighten the excitement level. The problem is, drum corps is ALREADY exciting! We don't need MTV-style camera work to prove it. Heck, MTV-style camera work would be acceptable IF it was well done. But it was sloppily done.

To me, the production values of the broadcasts from the late 80's and early 90's were far better than what we've had recently. Those old videos show drum corps for what it really is - VERY CLASSY. The cinecast last night was not classy, it was childish and sloppy.

I will say that the sound and picture were great where I was. Quality was definitely there is that regard. The picture itself was AMAZINGLY sharp!

Totally agree -- to have the opportunity to experience Championship week seating 600 miles away in a theater is good enough for me.

I will expect a better product when my DVDs arrive -- but for now,

I'm thankful for last night and the live streaming tonight.