DCA Rochester

I can't find the thread, but about a week ago someone was asking about good places to eat while in Rochester for DCA Championships weekend. Seeing I have the day off and I have a little time, I will try to give some places in and around the city that I know you will like. I hope the corpsmen from here will add to my recommendations so that you all will enjoy your stay in town as much as we are looking forward to having you here.

To start off, the new Paytec Park is two blocks from where I grew up, granted it's not the same as it was in the 50's and 60's, it was called "Little Italy" back then, but a few of the restaurants have remained. I will give phone #'s for the restaurants, you might want to call for reservations.

Roncone's - 232 Lyell Ave. (585) 458-3090 - Corner of Lyell and Parkway directly behind the stadium Jumbotron. Not the original owner, but the food is the same... great. I like to go there on Friday and get the Seafood Diavlo $13.95, it's not for those who don't like hot spicy sauce. They use to serve wonderful Veltri's Italian Bread unfortunately Veltri's is gone. They were on Parkway right behind Roncone's, but there are still 7 or 8 Italian Bakery's within 5 blocks of the stadium, so the bread is still fresh and wonderful.

Rocky's - 190 Jay St. (585) 232-9717 - Corner of Jay and Oak one block from open end of stadium. Rocky's is only open for lunches Monday - Saturday 11:30 - 2:30 (12:00 - 2:30 on Saturday), on Friday they are open for dinner 4:30 to 8pm. You want to get there at noon sharp on Saturday when they open and order the pork with your pasta. They make their sauce with big chunks of pork to mellow it. Only on Saturdays do they offer the pork with your pasta. everyone in the neighborhood knows this and the pork is sold out in a matter of minutes. If you are fortunate enough to get there early and order, you are in for a real treat the pork has been absorbing the sauce for days. If you don't get the pork don't worry, the meatballs are big and freshly made. Rocky will personally greet you at the door and the whole family works in the kitchen making the dishes the same way they did 50 years ago. Rocky's is known for their Tripe. Raviolis and everything else is made in the kitchen from scratch. You might want to buy a Rocky's T-Shirt while you are there.

Antonetta's - 1160 Jay St. (585) 328-1830 www.antonettas.com. You will have to drive from the stadium but it might be less crowded than the others. They are open for lunches Monday - Friday 11:30 - 2:30. and dinner on Friday 4:30 - 9:00. This place is a must for Yankee and Frank Sanatra fans, the owner, Nick Petrillo is a huge fan of both and the pictures and artwork are worth the visit. Nick is always in the dinning area and will talk Yankees all night if you let him. This is my favorite place of the 3. The sauce is fabulous, the portions are big and the beer is ice cold. might have to wait a while but the bar room is friendly and the porch is big with chairs and tables to sit and chat while you wait.

All three of these restaurants are quaint neighborhood Bar/Restaurants. nothing fancy, just great food and conversation. all are family operated and all have been in business as long as I can remember. I haven't lived in the neighborhood in 40 years, but I go back often to enjoy the food as I remember from my youth.

There are also a few places close to the stadium I want to recommend for fast type food. all are eat in or take out.

Al's Stand - 249 Saratoga Ave. (585) 458-3870 - From the stadium go east two lights on Lyell, turn left (North) on Saratoga and take it to the end (about 5 blocks). For whatever corps is practicing at Edgerton Park, Al's Stand is across the street from Jefferson H.S. on the corner of Saratoga and Bloss. I went to School at Jeff and Al's Stand was a regular for great Hots and Burgers, Italian Sausage and Steak Sangwiches. On a hot day, you might want to try their home made Italian Ices.

Nick Tahou Hots - 2260 Lyell Ave. (585) 429-6388 - Go west on Lyell about 2 miles. Nicks is on your right, just after you cross over I-390. Yes, this is the home of the world famous "Garbage Plate", often imitated but never duplicated. I think Nick was the inventor of the hamburger hot sauce. This is a great place to go eat after the bars close. Make sure you have something for agita close at hand, lots of grease and hot stuff, but great if your stomach can take it. Best home fries ever.

Martusciello Bakery - 2280 Lyell Ave. (585) 247-0510 - Next door to Nick's. If you are looking for the best Sub in town, look no further. Martusciello's makes the best Subs and Philly Steaks in Western NY. A large Italian assorted is about $6 and will last you all weekend. they pack it with so much good quality cold cuts, you could pull some out and make a couple more sandwiches. Everything is top notch here. They have an aged Provolone that will knock your socks off, just ask for it. They make fresh Calzones, Pizza, Steak Bombers, Stuffed Breads, All sorts of Cannolis and Italian Pastries (you will want to get some to take home).

So there you have my favorite places close to the stadium. in future posts I will recommend some of the places near where some of the corps are staying, starting with the convention center hotels in the heart of the city. I know there are two corps staying at the Doubletree Inn in Henrietta so I have several recommendations for that area. If you let me know where you are staying, I am sure I can recommend places close by.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for the info!

any chance of finding a vegetarian place? i thought i found one on the 'net, but I read somewhere else that it closed down...............

thanks for the info!

any chance of finding a vegetarian place? i thought i found one on the 'net, but I read somewhere else that it closed down...............

Well I assume you are staying with the Renegades at the Doubletree Inn on Jefferson Rd. in Henrietta.

Right across the street at the end of the plaza is the Tangtze Asian Buffet - 1100 Jefferson Rd. (585) 427-2178. I have been there and they have an extensive vegetarian section on their menu. if you select the Buffet, there are many dishes that will be of your liking. All are well labeled.

Another place one block north from your hotel is a restaurant that I highly recommend, The King and I (Cuisine of Thailand) - 1455 E. Henrietta Rd. (585) 427-8090 The King and I. My son Joe, who is a member of your corps, has taken me to several of his favorite Thai Restaurants in and around the San Francisco Area and I have never found one better than The King and I. I spent a year in Thailand, so I know good Thai food. They are open 7 days a week and the prices are under $7 for lunch and $15 for dinner. Their vegetarian menu is huge. Not only that, you can order most anything on the menu without the meat or seafood. For lunch, I see 12 vegetarian dishes, all under $7. The Vegetarian Dinner Menu has 6 appetizers, 4 soups and 35 entrees all under $9. Is that enough for you? Give me your email address, and I will send you a scan of their menu.

In the Suburban Plaza is Pizza Cafe - 2199 E Henrietta Rd. (585) 334-2321. just a few blocks south of your hotel. They specialize in vegetarian pizza. They will make anything to your order. Last time I was there, they had an all you could eat buffet with all kinds of pizza. they ask you when you order what kind of pizza you would like on the buffet and they make it for you. great place, great pizza. they also do takeout.

I hope this helps. There are many restaurants in the area of your hotel and most of them have vegetarian dishes on their menu. Even the ones that don't, will prepare special orders if you ask.

Well I assume you are staying with the Renegades at the Doubletree Inn on Jefferson Rd. in Henrietta.

I hope this helps. There are many restaurants in the area of your hotel and most of them have vegetarian dishes on their menu. Even the ones that don't, will prepare special orders if you ask.

I will be staying at the Clation Riverside. Need to know if ther are any places within a few blocks of there.

Also I have heard that the Stadium is 11 blocks away. Is there a recomened ay to walk? How about cabs/ How is the priceing of them? :drool:

Sorry, Yangtze is closed (you don't wanna know).

But staring the Renegades in the face is Market View Liquor - tell the owner (Mike Palmieri) you're from No. Cal and you want to be impressed.

He'll hip ya to the Finger Lakes' finest.

Right across the street at the end of the plaza is the Tangtze Asian Buffet - 1100 Jefferson Rd. (585) 427-2178. I have been there and they have an extensive vegetarian section on their menu. if you select the Buffet, there are many dishes that will be of your liking. All are well labeled.

Another place one block north from your hotel is a restaurant that I highly recommend, The King and I (Cuisine of Thailand) - 1455 E. Henrietta Rd. (585) 427-8090 The King and I. My son Joe, who is a member of your corps, has taken me to several of his favorite Thai Restaurants in and around the San Francisco Area and I have never found one better than The King and I. I spent a year in Thailand, so I know good Thai food. They are open 7 days a week and the prices are under $7 for lunch and $15 for dinner. Their vegetarian menu is huge. Not only that, you can order most anything on the menu without the meat or seafood. For lunch, I see 12 vegetarian dishes, all under $7. The Vegetarian Dinner Menu has 6 appetizers, 4 soups and 35 entrees all under $9. Is that enough for you? Give me your email address, and I will send you a scan of their menu.

In the Suburban Plaza is Pizza Cafe - 2199 E Henrietta Rd. (585) 334-2321. just a few blocks south of your hotel. They specialize in vegetarian pizza. They will make anything to your order. Last time I was there, they had an all you could eat buffet with all kinds of pizza. they ask you when you order what kind of pizza you would like on the buffet and they make it for you. great place, great pizza. they also do takeout.

I will be staying at the Clation Riverside. Need to know if ther are any places within a few blocks of there.

Also I have heard that the Stadium is 11 blocks away. Is there a recomened ay to walk? How about cabs/ How is the priceing of them? :drool:

Your in luck. Best smokehouse in the country is just around the corner from the Clarion. The Clarion sits on the corner of Main St. and South Ave. walk two blocks south on South Ave. to Court St. You have arrived at Dinosaur Bar-B-Que - 99 Court St. www.dinosaurbarbque.com. Located in the historic train station on the bank of the Genesee river. Great ribs and pulled pork. It's so good, They sell their sauces and pork dishes in the supermarkets. They have great live Blues Bands 6 nights a week. The best time to go there is for lunch. You can't get a seat for hours on Friday and Saturday nights.

You are about a mile from Paytec park. you can catch a "Lyell Ave" bus right in front of the hotel and it will put you right in front of the stadium. Just ask the desk clerk for a bus schedule and tell them you want to get to the soccer stadium.

Anyone staying in the downtown hotels would be smart to walk or take the bus. Parking will be impossible for prelims and finals. There are baseball games at Frontier Field on Saturday and Sunday nights and the two stadiums share the same parking. There are fireworks at the ballpark both nights, so they should have sellout crowds. BTW, I don't know if anyone has mentioned it or not but the shows will take a 20 minute break so the fireworks don't disrupt the corps. the games should end around 9pm. As soon as the corps on the field is finished, Alan will give the go ahead for the fireworks to begin. So the DCA fans will be treated to a 15 minute fireworks display both nights. How cool is that? Don't you just love Rochester?

I hope this helps.

Edited by bariforhire

thanks for your help.

i was thinking skippy's............................