Crossmen changed my mind

Okay, so last night at the theater was my first viewing of the Crossmen this summer. (I decided not to pay for the ADPs this season because I find them singularly unsatisfying.) Anyway, I've never been a fan of amplified voice in drum corps or marching band. And I'd still rather corps did without it entirely. However, I want to say that the Crossmen was the first time I have *EVER* seen/heard a corps (or a band) where I thought that the use of amplification actually added significantly to the performance. Usually I find amplified voice (and often unamplified voice) in a corps or band show to be a distraction at best. Crossmen made me believe that it can actually be a constructive tool.

Blue Stars, on the other hand, were exactly what I hate about amplified voice -- using the vocals as a crutch to *TELL* the audience what to think, instead of *SHOWING* us through the music and visuals.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, so last night at the theater was my first viewing of the Crossmen this summer. (I decided not to pay for the ADPs this season because I find them singularly unsatisfying.) Anyway, I've never been a fan of amplified voice in drum corps or marching band. And I'd still rather corps did without it entirely. However, I want to say that the Crossmen was the first time I have *EVER* seen/heard a corps (or a band) where I thought that the use of amplification actually added significantly to the performance. Usually I find amplified voice (and often unamplified voice) in a corps or band show to be a distraction at best. Crossmen made me believe that it can actually be a constructive tool.

Blue Stars, on the other hand, were exactly what I hate about amplified voice -- using the vocals as a crutch to *TELL* the audience what to think, instead of *SHOWING* us through the music and visuals.

I agree with you. When I saw the Crossmen at Allentown, it was clearly obvious that the majority of the crowd accepted the narration in the Radio segment [although I hope they had the balance and delivery problems cleared up in Madison]. The Blue Stars show didn't need the narration for part of the season so why did they feel the need to put it in.

gil

I saw Crossmen for the first time last night as well and I really like the show. It seems

that everyone in the theater liked it alot too. Very entertaining show.

Good job Crossmen!

I still have reservations about it. It's just too silly. I feel like that guy from Monty Python now.

It was silly at times. But it was silly on purpose and they knew exactly what they were doing. There's a place for that in drum corps, I think. I'm not sure VK could have done better.

Overall yes it was good and helped change my mind.

However, I wish they'd take out the line at the end of the ballad. It interupts and ruined the moment for me. One line to many.

Edited by shawn craig

I agree. Blue Stars vocals was plain distracting. Having seen Blue Stars first and then Crossmen, made you realize that there is a wrong and right way for doing vocals. This laid the way for me to not mind Cadets vocals as much as I might have otherwise.

Same as in 2004, I did not like Boston's vocals, Crown was a LITTLE more palatable, but I would have preferred their show without it.

I suppose, but it just seems so corny to me. Like the Blue Devils last year, as if going "and here's a couple from Naperville!" was going to make me connect with a 1920s dance contest that didn't play 1920s dance music, and was backwards, but wasn't really backwards, because they were still moving forward and talking forward. I don't like when they do it in musicals, or plays, or drum corps shows. It's just a real groaner for me. Personal preference, of course.