Why is Crown's brass not scoring in the mid 18's or higher?

How can this be? Crown has the best brass line in the field with regards to tone quality, intonation, balance, blend, etc. I'm so sick of seeing corps screwed because one section is (percussion) is lacking a little, so the judges have to bring other areas down a little so it doesn't look strange on paper. Last year Crown probably had a top 3 brass line, and they were screwed then as well....and speaking of their persussion, which I thought was not as dirty as BAC and SCV in the theater...maybe it is just not a book the judges like. But, why did Crown ever lose Jeff Queen? He was doing a great job with the corps. and was with Crown under Paul Rennick when he was in charge. Those drumlines were always top 6 or 7 material. I don't get it. A top tier brass program should not be finishing 10th place in Music.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You will likely get demolished for saying this, and that is wrong(shame on you DCPers, everyone gets to have an opinion). At nightbeat I was sitting with the band director I work for and she agreed totally that Crown's brass sounded the best of the night. They have awesome dynamics!!!!!! And their tone quality is superb, no doubt. These things came from someone who in no way would call themselves a crown fan. I don't necessarily see this show as top five material this year, but their brass is wonderful to listen to, and any band director would likely agree.

Crown of BDs perhaps. :drool:

rimshotTerrance

Whatever the scores, Crown's brass line kicked my ### this year...absolutely fantastic. And I thank them for that!

Fran

Crown's horns (and yes I am biased) should be in the top 3-5. They are not the best line out there <Phantom Regiment>, but they are indeed one of the strongest of the years and should be getting much higher scores

They are a great brass line, but I've noticed this year that the high brass sounds like they have some intonation problems when not playing with the low brass. If the bottom voices are out, it seems like pitch leaves the field as well. This is my biggest complaint.

I agree that Crowns Brass should be placing higher than they are. Perhaps it's the level of difficulty in their book?? It could be that the corps above them have a more demanding book (the Tech part of the score, I believe).

Crown, along with Phantom Regiment and Madison Scouts, was one of my favorite hornlines in Quarterfinals!

Crown's hornbook is also incredibly difficult