Tonight, Everybody Won!

My guess is that you can SUCK THE LIFE out of a room just by walking thru the door.

The intent of the thread was obvious. Get a life.

Who ever this is... I like her. Straight to the point. Good job texasmom.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I am SOOO glad that the bluecoats beat the cadets. Cadets "step in a new direction" was not a good one. i miss the old cadets. I can't believe the godfather show took third, go phantom!

I have to agree with the second poster in that I don't care for the "everybody is a winner" attitude we have with kids today, but maybe it it could have been said better, it came off down. We know what the original poster meant.

Drum corps is a marathon, we know halfway through that some of the runners won't win. With a mile to go we know who the top few favorites are. That doesn't diminish the fact that many finish the race, knowing they won't win.

For every kid that finished the season, there are 50 potential drumcorps canidates that don't even try, 25 that think about it, 10 that look into it, 5 that try out and 2 that quit. The kids that make it into a uniform and do their job.....that is a winning attitude.

Drum corps is about life, there is one champion but a whole bunch of people playing the game.

To all the kids getting home today and tomorrow and reading these posts: Most of us on DCP (including everyone posting in this thread) know what you accomplished this season as many of us have been there. Congratulations on a fine season!

Edited by jonnyboy

I have to agree with the second poster in that I don't care for the "everybody is a winner" attitude we have with kids today,

Well, myself and several others included don't care for the Ricky Bobby approach to life "If you're not number one then you're nobody - winning is all that matters". Build them up and tear them down? That doesn't make much sense at all.

What do you think Hop told his kids last night? Or how about Pat Siedling? David Gibbs? What would Jeff Fiedler have said had they not won? Do you think they would have told their kids that since they were second, they can't be champions? "you're only second place, and although were proud of you, you didn't win, so we can't call you winners. Better luck next year." If anyone were to have said that to my kids, I would make it my life's work to make sure they didn't have a job the following season.

On the grand scheme of things, these kids have accomplished more in one season than most of their peers ever will. They have learned responsibility, achievement, and the rewards of good ole' fashion hard work. That alone makes all of them Champions.

So I ask you this, what attitude should we have with kids? As a parent of three boys, I can tell you honestly that if anyone ever pulled the "There is only one champion, you came in second, so get over it" attitude with my kids, they would get a piece of my mind and quiote possibly a little more than that (although, the real damage would come from my wife as she is the pitbull of the family).

Accomplishment, effort and achievement should be rewarded, especially in this day and age when most kids would rather have things handed to them and done for them.

Edited by Newseditor44

No, they didn't all win. The Cavaliers won. There was a competition. There were scores.There were winners and there were also rans. To say " all were winners " though a laudable gesture and meant to soothe the feelings of those who were in the also ran Corps diminishes what the Champion accomplished. I'd agree with you wholeheartedly that there were no losers who participated in summer Drum Corps, and I appreciate all that they have given, and if they left it all on the field in competition that should be reward enough. But there was only one " winner ".

Congrats. You have achieved greatness yourself. The most asanine post of the 2006 season. :sshh:

Edited by Tone Quality Matters

Thanks to all who made this great finals week possible! The shows of all 23 corps were very entertaining, and I'll never forget this week as long as I'm around. :)

Heh, it wasn't just the 23 corps of D1 that were very entertaining....those D2/3 corps have their own buzz in a smaller package.

Well, myself and several others included don't care for the Ricky Bobby approach to life "If you're not number one then you're nobody - winning is all that matters". Build them up and tear them down? That doesn't make much sense at all.

What do you think Hop told his kids last night? Or how about Pat Siedling? David Gibbs? What would Jeff Fiedler have said had they not won? Do you think they would have told their kids that since they were second, they can't be champions? "you're only second place, and although were proud of you, you didn't win, so we can't call you winners. Better luck next year." If anyone were to have said that to my kids, I would make it my life's work to make sure they didn't have a job the following season.

On the grand scheme of things, these kids have accomplished more in one season than most of their peers ever will. They have learned responsibility, achievement, and the rewards of good ole' fashion hard work. That alone makes all of them Champions.

So I ask you this, what attitude should we have with kids? As a parent of three boys, I can tell you honestly that if anyone ever pulled the "There is only one champion, you came in second, so get over it" attitude with my kids, they would get a piece of my mind and quiote possibly a little more than that (although, the real damage would come from my wife as she is the pitbull of the family).

Accomplishment, effort and achievement should be rewarded, especially in this day and age when most kids would rather have things handed to them and done for them.

I think the original post could have been a better worded. To be sure, every corps did a great job, was successful, was entertaining (if that was your opinion), accomplished a great deal, etc. To say that "all are winners" and "all are champions" is certainly well intended, but it's just too figurative and just not accurate in the case of junior drum corps. The corps members are mature young adults, generally seasoned in the ups and downs of competition. I frankly don't think the participants would buy the "all are winners" and "all are champions" rhetoric. It would probably be well suited for the special olympics, but not junior drum and bugle corps.

I think the original post could have been a better worded. To be sure, every corps did a great job, was successful, was entertaining (if that was your opinion), accomplished a great deal, etc. To say that "all are winners" and "all are champions" is certainly well intended, but it's just too figurative and just not accurate in the case of junior drum corps. The corps members are mature young adults, generally seasoned in the ups and downs of competition. I frankly don't think the participants would buy the "all are winners" and "all are champions" rhetoric. It would probably be well suited for the special olympics, but not junior drum and bugle corps.

Just forget it, we are all losers... with the exception of the Cavi's, Impulse and Academy.

I give up.

With attitudes like this, no wonder this activity is going in the toilet