BD 4th in Brass?

While Cavies, Phantom, and BD all pretty much stayed the same score wise throughout the week, Bluecoats managed to go up .7 points. I don't see how BD could go from .3 behind the leader in brass on Thursday and end up in 4th place in Finals.

Brass Scores Throughout the Week:

Cavies - 19.3, 19.6, 19.6

Phantom - 19.4, 19.5, 19.4

Blue Devils - 19.1, 19.1, 19.0

Bluecoats - 18.4, 19.0, 19.1

Answer:

Steve Calhoun judged brass on Semis night, effectively rendering the brass score meaningless.

Different judges. Maybe they had an off night. Judges called it like they saw it.

Seems pretty consistent to me, save Bluecoats Qtrs.

without taking the time to look it up myself, when was the last time BD was lower than 3rd in Brass?

I liked the one video (can't think of year) that DeLucia was commenting on how many times BD Brass was in 3rd, 2nd, and 1st....(was it '96?)

Edited by Sluggo

While Cavies, Phantom, and BD all pretty much stayed the same score wise throughout the week, Bluecoats managed to go up .7 points. I don't see how BD could go from .3 behind the leader in brass on Thursday and end up in 4th place in Finals.

Brass Scores Throughout the Week:

Cavies - 19.3, 19.6, 19.6

Phantom - 19.4, 19.5, 19.4

Blue Devils - 19.1, 19.1, 19.0

Bluecoats - 18.4, 19.0, 19.1

I thought they should have won brass last night, but 4th tonight is not out of line. I heard a lot of problems in their performance tonight that were completely abscent in Phantom (who I thought should have won brass) and nearly abscent in Cavies. Not sure I agree with Blue beating them, as I had Devils in 3rd and Crown in 4th. Brass judging was crazy. Phantom should have won that caption unchallenged tonight IMO.

My thoughts:

BD played a little on the edge going for emotion and power at points that sacrificed sonority and tuning, usually a trademark of the BD brass consistency. It didn't surprise me, the surprise was the Cavies won brass and not Phantom. Especially since they tied in the musicianship sub caption. FOR GOSH SAKES, PLEASE MAKE A CALL. I felt Phantom's performance was so much more musical than anyone else's.

I guess if your show is titled "Machine", you are allowed to play like one without pause.

Edited by decompressed

My thoughts:

BD played a little on the edge going for emotion and power at points that sacrificed sonority and tuning, usually a trademark of the BD brass consistency. It didn't surprise me, the surprise was the Cavies won brass and not Phantom. Especially since they tied in the musicianship sub caption. FOR GOSH SAKES, PLEASE MAKE A CALL. I felt Phantom's performance was so much more musical than anyone else's.

I guess if your show is titled "Machine", you are allowed to play like one without pause.

Phantom's sound was stunning. The blend of the euphs and mellos is really something. The drumline was on fire. So clean.

I LOVE BD (except last year), but it was just not happening tonight. BD's guard was incredible. Amazing.

I think all the placements were right on, except SCV should have been up one peg.

without taking the time to look it up myself, when was the last time BD was lower than 3rd in Brass?

I liked the one video (can't think of year) that DeLucia was commenting on how many times BD Brass was in 3rd, 2nd, and 1st....(was it '96?)

On a side note, this is the first time BD has had two consecutive years out of the Top Two since their string of 3rd to 5th finishes from 1987-1994.