Regiment is a Class Act

Sweet- wish ALL corps still did that at finals! :)

You said it . . . DCI really screwed up when they started fooling around with retreat. Of course, the downhill slide has been going on for some time - they got all bent out of shape about how long everyone took to do their tribute and leave the field in '83, so they set time limits. I thought that was BS then and I still do. Finals night should simply take as long as it takes - LET THE CORPS DO WHAT THEY WANT. It's good for the corps (especially the age-outs) and it's GREAT for business - the crowds have ALWAYS stayed until the last.

Luckily for me, I got to experience '83 Finals live - still one of the most memorable nights of entertainment of ANY medium of my life. One of the biggest highlights was Madison gathering in a close-order block close to the front sideline, hands of one line on the shoulders of those in the line in front of them, singing You'll Never Walk Alone a capella - EVERYONE in the place cried!!!! And like they did at EVERY show they one that year, the Cadets did a FULL encore of their show - this time, due to some sort of malfunction, about half the lights went out, which actually gave the show "mood lighting" that was just unreal . . . a simply MAGICAL night. Yeah, we all left at some ridiculously late hour that night, but NO ONE CARED.

I simply do NOT understand why DCI is watering down their BRAND by cutting this sort of thing out.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

classy as always

p8130262yy6.jpg

:wacko:

I still remember standing five feet away from the Cavaliers hornline after Finals in '96 while they played "Over the Rainbow" for us and the Blue Devils. I took a picture of a member of their hornline for him while he was playing. I don't understand how anybody can think that the way they do finale now is ANY better than the way it used to be done. Who cares if it takes longer. People are free to leave if they don't want to stay.

AMEN!!!!!!!!

You said it . . . DCI really screwed up when they started fooling around with retreat. Of course, the downhill slide has been going on for some time - they got all bent out of shape about how long everyone took to do their tribute and leave the field in '83, so they set time limits. I thought that was BS then and I still do. Finals night should simply take as long as it takes - LET THE CORPS DO WHAT THEY WANT. It's good for the corps (especially the age-outs) and it's GREAT for business - the crowds have ALWAYS stayed until the last.

Luckily for me, I got to experience '83 Finals live - still one of the most memorable nights of entertainment of ANY medium of my life. One of the biggest highlights was Madison gathering in a close-order block close to the front sideline, hands of one line on the shoulders of those in the line in front of them, singing You'll Never Walk Alone a capella - EVERYONE in the place cried!!!! And like they did at EVERY show they one that year, the Cadets did a FULL encore of their show - this time, due to some sort of malfunction, about half the lights went out, which actually gave the show "mood lighting" that was just unreal . . . a simply MAGICAL night. Yeah, we all left at some ridiculously late hour that night, but NO ONE CARED.

I simply do NOT understand why DCI is watering down their BRAND by cutting this sort of thing out.

TELL IT!!!!!!!!!

I just want to say that I'm really happy that the Cavalier drums and the Phantom hornline showed such class and grace (and that the Phantom drums and Cavalier hornline were also receptive to the honor they were shown).

The midwest is lucky to have such great drum corps.

Illinois is lucky to have such great drum corps.

Way to represent the state this weekend!