What Went Wrong At DCI World Championships?

OK, time to chime in

1) Cavies should have won GE Vis, Regiment should have won GE Music (But Cavies did deserve the overall win)

although I still think Regiment should have won Brass and Ens. Music.

2) While someone on here finds classical shows boring and unimaginative, I have to say I find most shows with "original" music the same way. Always seemed like a cop out to write your own music and then tell the judges how it should be interepreted as they have nothing to balance it against. Just my opinion.

3) I found nothing flawed in Nikk's Logic in his earlier post. if you did, please explain.

4) I understand the need to keep people in their seats for the hall of fame and age out ceremonies, but its sucked sitting at home staring at the wall for an hour waiting for the last few scores friday.

5) I think if SCV had gone on back to back with Cadets they may have had a shot at a fifth place finish

There ya go. Remember you are free to disagree, but don't blow a gasket.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I kind of wish I&E awards came after the Madison alumni, or at least sped up. It was hard to sit through "best woodwind ensemble," "best trombone," "best French horn," and all that jazz, waiting for the Scouts to come on. I can't be the only person who felt this way. Yeah, everyone got polite applause for their awards, but a lot of people around me were like "wait......did he just say flute?" and seemed generally confused as to why 1)flautists were being commended at a drum corps show and 2)why the Madison Scouts weren't out there yet.

Obviously this should be 2 threads: What went Wrong.... and "Why I am more qulified than a DCI sanctioned judge to determine the placement of each corps down to the captions." Get over it people!

No, I really intended it to be the former, but some people aren't helping out. :worthy:

Since I started this thread, I think I have the right to ask for everyone to simply post their rant and not respond to others unless it is in agreement. If you are compelled to respond in opposition, just post your thoughts and not refute what others say. This thread was initially set in not-holier-than-thou mode.

You know what bugs me? All the arguing over arguments that can't be won. You darn music majors trying to outdo each other. Have you not learned the one true thing? Music is PERSONAL. You like what you like and you don't like what you don't. And if I don't like Camille Sainte Saens (I suppose I spelled it wrong), you're not gonna change my mind by pointing out how uneducated I am. I already know that@@!!

That, and all the fat butts. Oh, and Hoppy pointing to Brandt Crocker so he could announce the Cadets at the proper time.

Best crowd moment: As the I&E awards dragged on endlessly and the crowd was getting restless waiting for the Scouts Alumni to perform, someone suggested the next award should be the "stupidest award award."

[RANT MODE: ON]

Well I guess that when you are the best, it opens you up to just about every neanderthal's scrutiny. Oh, and if you couldn't hum the ballad melody from The Cavaliers show this year, you're tone deaf.

I really just have gotten tired of watching a certain few people belittle another corps because their personal fav. didn't conquer DCI that year. It happened last year with The Cadets and it ###### me off then too. They got first because they earned it and I'm not going to be one who rips it to shreads only to justify my lone opinions.

If you want to talk about who DESERVED to win a particular caption or placement, then I think the most deserving corps would be the one that held that place for the majority of the season, which would make every corps that flip-flopped at finals undeserving.

I don't really know who should of taken what on finals night, nor do I really care. The decision was made by a balanced panel of professionals. I think I trust their judgement more than someone's anonymous opinion on an open internet forum.

[RANT MODE: ----HIBERNATE]

I am chiming in

The deaf moment in Glassmen's show was ruined for everyone by a few A-holes. There was a lot of that going on in other shows as well. The recordings are screwed too. Thanks to a few who think they have the right to infringe on everyone else's enjoyment.

:worthy::worthy::worthy::huh:

ruined a beautiful design moment in a great show

A few observations on what would have made this year's championship "better", (IMHO):

1) From this fan's perspective, it would have been nice to get the "what is not allowed into the stadium" memo BEFORE any of the events htis past week, not when Semi's in Div I started. I saw a lot of people having to throw stuff away because "it was not allowed into the stadium".

2) An actual spot for the corps to warm up and the fans to watch them would have been a huge improvement. Dropping the kids off a mile or more away and have them trek to the stadium was a bunch of c_ _ _. And with that, there is absolutely no way to hang out at the parking lot (for a fan) to watch drumlines, hornlines, etc warmup.

3) Play a continuous stream of scores on the side scoreboards so those under the overhand could actually see the scores and recaps as they were being posted.

4) Real seats, not the benches!

Now, as much as I don't like Indy for ten years, maybe all these get addressed at the new stadium and facilities.

By the way, I was in row 70, and the sound coming up the stands was awesome!!!!

here's my rant:

BD should have kept the solo at the very beginning as a Trumpet solo.

BD should go back to G bugles

BD should switch to Yamaha horns

Champion's Fanfare needs to go and bring back America/O'Canada.

My take:

At least they had the trumpet soloist take the first few measures of his solo down an octave. It sounded like #### up the octave in Stillwater. I have a recording to prove it too.

Everyone should go back to G Bugles :worthy:

Or Kanstul

Yes, Champion's Fanfare SUCKS. Sorry to whoever wrote it, but it's a ####ty, boring arrangement of some otherwise nice pieces. In '02, we played a very nice arrangement of "God Bless America". If America/O'Canada is too long on the took, lets bring that back instead.

2) An actual spot for the corps to warm up and the fans to watch them would have been a huge improvement. Dropping the kids off a mile or more away and have them trek to the stadium was a bunch of c_ _ _. And with that, there is absolutely no way to hang out at the parking lot (for a fan) to watch drumlines, hornlines, etc warmup.

I disagree. I wandered up and down University Ave and saw TONS of corps warming up. You just had to be willing to go for a walk (which most of us could use, now that we're aged out!) That's all I did for Quarters & Semis.