What Went Wrong At DCI World Championships?

Plenty of people have done "Ave Maria...." by Franz Schubert. As far as I know, Regiment is the only junior corps to have performed the Franz Biebl piece on the field.

Seattle Cascades did that as their onfield warmup last year. Not in the show, but at least on the field :)

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The stadium took a step backwards with the remodeling. More seats and suites for football and nothing else. I could write more, but what's the point. DCI will never be back their again.

And who are these idiots who think that their stadium "security" will actually protect us or corps members from anything. C'mon, beside slowing everyone down, what is the goal here? Without metal detectors and pad downs there is little way to stop someone from bringing in a weapon or their favor snack. I know this complaint has little to do with Drum Corps and more about the state of our society, but I hate the appearance of security were there is none. At least a few college students had a job for a couple of hours.

Seattle Cascades did that as their onfield warmup last year. Not in the show, but at least on the field :)

Same this year for The Academy, Division II Champions.

1) Mixers on cellphones listening to someone else call the mix of the pit from the stands, and the pits were still too loud!!!!!!!

2) BD finishing third. I did not believe they could win with that show, but they left everything on the field Finals night. Too bad second place would not be theirs.

3)No retreats!!!

4)Crossmen out of the top 12.

5)Lack of crowd flow up the steps to tunnels during breaks.

6)No mello solo during Cadets ballad.

7)Everyone who bought Cadets gear, supporting another year of mediocrity from an otherwise great corps.

8)No "I'll make him an offer he can't refuse" on semifinals night.

9)No VK, Sky Ryders, Suncoast Sound, Freelancers, Bridgemen, 27th Lancers.

10)That the Madison Alumni Corps did not take the field for competition. They rocked it old school, and it was great fun!

what I think went wrong was Regiment took 2nd and not 1st

in my opinion the Cavaliers won because of there visual package .... to me the brass package was non existant ... I mean come on play a few notes once in awhile rather than just run around and let the drumline and pit make all kinds of noises to imitate a machine ... all this "original music" they do is starting to get unoriginal to me. play something I can walk out of the stadium singing.

Regiment I say by far had the most challenging and well executed brass book this year ( and lets not even start the challenge of trumpets doubling on baritone for the ballad ... thats one heck of a feat to do change mouthpiece sizes like that in a show and still have that amazing sound ). there was soo much GE in that show its rediculous. demons, death, rebirth, uniforms going pure white for the Ressurection, a pentigram in the drill durring the evil strains of Alien God ... I could go more if you wanted.

In my opinion The Cavaliers won because of their TOTAL package. The brass package was NOT non-existent. There were plenty of notes for the Cavalier brass program to perform in Premonition & The Machine Age (last part of their show). You know, you may not like what they do, or think they're boring. That's fine... But they did play. Maybe they didn't play what you like, or as much as you like, but they did play. You're really exaggerating by saying "play a few notes once in awhile rather than just run around and let the drumline and pit make all kinds of noises to imitate a machine ..." Like them, hate them, but at least be accurate... And they have a haunting melody that I can't get out of my head. It’s a recurring theme through-out the show. Maybe you don't like the Jazz?

As far as Phantom goes - Phantom's ballad, Ave Maria (incidentally-Pacific Crest's corps song) while beautiful and my favorite ballad of the year, didn’t exactly strike a 10 on the note-o-meter. It was an 11 on the emotion-meter, but if you're counting notes like so many on here seem to do, it wasn’t too difficult. Yes, I know the trumpets had to switch mouthpieces during the show. I've had to do that in the past, and it's really hard at first until you get used to doing it. IMHO, that's a visual GE moment as well as a music GE moment! It was cool when Star did something similar during their space show in 1986 (Euphs played Contras for a portion of the show). As far as the rest of what you said, I agree with you... Phantom's show was chocked full of GE. I think it was the second best TOTAL package of the year. I think it was the best MUSICAL package of the year too!

I don’t think anything was wrong, but you got to look at the TOTAL package.

In the future, I honestly hope more corps take Regiment’s lead musically and Cavaliers lead visually. As I’ve said before, Phantom Regiment’s show reminded me of the great shows from that most all the corps put on from around the early eighties to the mid nineties, with great melodies performed really, really well.

There I & E was too slow, and there is a simple way to fix it. TWO teams of people awarding plaques/trophies. While one is being awarded and pictures being taken, award the next one. Will cut the time in half right there, and pics can still be taken right then and there.

Madison parking SUCKED for anyone with physical disabilities. I have trouble walking, and by the time I managed to get to the stadium I was in tears from the pain. Sure ruined alot of my enjoyment, and yes, I used the park and ride from Alliant...STILL sucked for anyone with a physical disability. And it wasn't just me...I saw loads of grandpas and grandmas who were just exhausted from trying to walk to the stadium up hills and for blocks. There should have been special arrangements made to drop these people off much MUCH closer to the stadium, and near an elevator.

Oh, and with all the renovations, they didn't manage to put an elevator from the street to the first level. People with difficulty walking had to truck all the way to the end to get up on a ramp, or risk injury climbing stairs...UNFORGIVEABLE, given all the disability laws these days...makes me wonder who they paid off to get around the ADA.

The $5 cookies reminded me of the Becker episode where the old woman sold cookies for $40 when they were stranded on the runway...highway robbery.

I specifically purchased tickets with our corps group so that I would be sitting with others from my corps...what a joke. The "block" was nowhere near a block...there were maybe half a dozen people from my corps within eyesight. Never again...I'll be buying my tickets myself, and getting the exact seats I want.

Didn't mind the bleacher seats actually. Guess I just didn't expect anything better after the logistics of getting to the stadium sucked so bad.

I don’t think anything was wrong, but you got to look at the TOTAL package.

I agree with you. I'm no judge, but the way I saw it was as follows:

The Cavaliers had the best visual program of the year, but the music program was not as strong.

The Regiment had the best music program of the year, but the visual program was not as strong.

However, Phantom's visual was not as far behind the music as Rosemont's music was behind the visual.

Therefore, I felt Phantom Regiment had the strongest show of the year. Now obviously, the judges disagreed with me, but this is just my own opinion after seeing both corps several times this summer.