Why aren't The Cavaliers hated?

I have wondered about this myself. Because lately, it seems like more and more people hate the Blue Devils. I would love for someone to explain to me why that is. They haven't exactly been dominating with only one title in the last 7 tries, as opposed to five by the Cavies. Those of you claiming that the Cavies are always the epitome of class, are making a broad generalization that is not based on fact. Every corps is guilty of classless behavior here and there, yes even the beloved Cavaliers. I'll give you two examples. There was a group of kids decked out in Cavies apparel sitting next to my wife and I in the stands at Finals Saturday night. All I heard all night was how boring and talent-less BD and Phantom were and how superior the Cavies were to everyone else on the field. They said all this loud and clear right next to me, as I sat there with my BD member jacket on. The Cavies are bringing new fans to the activity with their innovation, but it just seems to me that most of these "new" fans tend to be Cavie fans ONLY and could care less about any other corps. And they love to talk trash even though they've never marched anywhere but their high school band. My other example of classless behavior comes from an actual marching member of the Cavies. In 2002, immediately after the awards ceremony, a friend of mine and I went over to congratulate a Cavie standing nearby. His response was "Thanks. You know we only have a few age-outs so we're going to be even better next year!"

I am sorry you had these experiences. In regard to your first example, it's hard enough to "control" the actions of members, staff and volunteers but how do you relay the same integrity to the fans? Well, you can't.

In regard to your experience with the member, well, was it a “classless” comment? Borderline. But I see where you are coming from. Also, we are dealing with kids here so sometimes in the heat of the excitement they say some things that are questionable but who doesn’t? Even us adults.

The Cavaliers have 6,000 alumni, thousands for former staff members and countless fans. As it’s been said before please don’t judge the whole organization on the actions of a few.

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think people love the Cavaliers because they are classy. I also think there is a good number of people that dislike the Cavaliers, so it's not as if they aren't hated.

The reason why the Cavaliers are mostly liked is because they are the drum corps of today. Most new fans have seen The Cavaliers. High school kids see the Cavaliers and think anything less is superior.

The reason why they are disliked by some is because their formula is beginning to bore people. It was innovative, now it's not.

I don't think people love the Cavaliers because they are classy. I also think there is a good number of people that dislike the Cavaliers, so it's not as if they aren't hated.

The reason why the Cavaliers are mostly liked is because they are the drum corps of today. Most new fans have seen The Cavaliers. High school kids see the Cavaliers and think anything less is superior.

The reason why they are disliked by some is because their formula is beginning to bore people. It was innovative, now it's not.

Well, from what I have read here on DCP, it is the Cavaliers innovation(concept shows, integrated music/visual, etc) that many hated. It seems most of the anti-Cavalier posts and threads on DCP are from people wishing they would focus a lot less on visual integration and just play some recognizable fun music.

Well, from what I have read here on DCP, it is the Cavaliers innovation(concept shows, integrated music/visual, etc) that many hated. It seems most of the anti-Cavalier posts and threads on DCP are from people wishing they would focus a lot less on visual integration and just play some recognizable fun music.

That's pretty much it.

But I don't understand why it took so many pages to understand something that's pretty much commonsense and obvious.

The Cavaliers are generally liked by so many because they have cool drill (don't deny it) and because they've been winning a lot

People who don't like the Cavaliers generally don't like them because they win alot (Yankee Effect), because their music isn't exactly the most exciting music, and also some other things that add up.

I like the Cavaliers and their shows, but I just like them. They're not the types of shows that I'd watch over and over again like SCV, Cadets, or Phantom Regiment. I usually don't care much about scores but in terms of championships. I'm a little annoyed that they're dominating the 2000s. It's like "Alright I get the , you can win a lot of times." Maybe I should yell at the other corps to step up to the plate and take a championship (cough Phantom Regiment and SCV). So generally speaking, I'd prefer to see some other styles/corps win a Championship Gold Medal

It would be nice if some other corps won as well, if only to spurn more innovations. But as for me, I love the Cavalier's shows, and have yet to see other corps produce shows that stack up to me. While BD was much cleaner than Cavies in 03, I honestly think BD 03 is the most boring BD show to date. If entertainment was the only factor...well if entertainment was the only factor Phantom would have won in 03 :P But Cavies were more entertaiing to me that BD. And in 05, I really just don't like any of the shows. 2005 as a drum corps season really doesn't exist in my mind, minus my own show of course.