Why aren't The Cavaliers hated?

I hear they torture kittens on their buses.

Not since Z and I marched in the early 80s. The boys have since moved up to puppies. Jack Russell Terriers, to be exact. :P

Edited by mobrien

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's not that I have the Cavaliers as an organization, I hate them all individually. I also wish they would emphasize music in their shows more, but that is not why I hate them.

A rivalry is fun. It was particularly fun in 94 when we beat them in semi's and finals after losing to them all season. Embrace it.

Conversly - While I don't hate each Phantom member individually, I hated you guys when I marched back in '90. Phantom was coming off of the highest 2nd place score ever in '89 and whipped our butts all of first tour. It was great to beat them the rest of the year! It wasn't because I didn't like the members. It was a fun rivalry, and I did embrace it! It was a great in-state 'ole fashioned rivalry. Now, I've liked every year of Phantom before that and since, so I was able to step out of the corps competitive mentality.

Fast forward to next year, and I bet that Phantom and The Cavaliers will have that spark back and it will make them both better!

I think you are inferring something into George's words. George was to the point, but I think he is correct in many ways.

Here are my thoughts on the current dynasty of the Cavaliers:

1. They seem to be enjoying their dynasty without much hate or jealousy, as of now, mainly because they do entertain, they program well, and they seem to keep their noses clean. What I mean by that statement is that they don't seem to be trying to push the activity forward, yet they innovate with class. They don't seem to be fighting the current rules, and their director and staff do not cause a great deal of comotion. They mind their business and WIN!

2. However, keep in mind that what they just accomplished has been done before. The Blue Devils won 5 of 7 titles from 1976 to 1982, and the Garfield Cadets won 5 of 8 from 1983 to 1990. During those years, both corps were loved. Even during the 3-peat of Garfield, they were mainly loved by the fans. It was all the winning that came after those titles when things started to change. And it's not like poeple hate BD or Cadets, or SCV, or most corps that win a lot. It's more of a lack of interest type of feeling that people get when the same corps seems to win too much. This could start to happen now with the Cavaliers. If they come out next year and win most of their shows, many, many, many people are going to be saying things like "not them again," or "anyone but Cavaliers."

3. When Cavaliers have won during the early part of this decade, they did so over Cadets and BD for the most part. Had they not won, it was likely that one of those two corps would have done so. This year was the first year of the decade in which a corps other than BD or Cadets have been in the 2nd spot. You already see more people saying in their reviews and discussions that Phantom should have won. Largely because they were that close. If BD or Cadets were there, it would be like "good God, which one of those two corps needs another title?"

So, in short, it's not as if people were booing Cadets or BD when they won. Usually when those two win, the crowd can sense they are the best. It's just a case of people wanting a change. And they will most definitely want that change now, both Midwestern fans and others. The only corps that has ever really taken a beating from the fans was Star of Indiana. And here George was right, the Midwestern fans never claimed them as their own, especially once they started to win. I know, I live in the Midwest. I went to many shows in those days, and what I saw was jealousy run amuck. People felt they hadn't earned it like the other corps. People complained about their money. People said they bought Garfield's staff to get good. People made up a lot of excuses to make themselves feel better about the fact that Star was winning a lot of shows. Probably should have won 3 titles in a row from 1991 - 1993. You can make an argument they should have won in 1990 too. I think Midwesterners have come to love Star, but just a bit too late.

I think you are inferring something into George's words. George was to the point, but I think he is correct in many ways.

Here are my thoughts on the current dynasty of the Cavaliers:

1. They seem to be enjoying their dynasty without much hate or jealousy, as of now, mainly because they do entertain, they program well, and they seem to keep their noses clean. What I mean by that statement is that they don't seem to be trying to push the activity forward, yet they innovate with class. They don't seem to be fighting the current rules, and their director and staff do not cause a great deal of comotion. They mind their business and WIN!

2. However, keep in mind that what they just accomplished has been done before. The Blue Devils won 5 of 7 titles from 1976 to 1982, and the Garfield Cadets won 5 of 8 from 1983 to 1990. During those years, both corps were loved. Even during the 3-peat of Garfield, they were mainly loved by the fans. It was all the winning that came after those titles when things started to change. And it's not like poeple hate BD or Cadets, or SCV, or most corps that win a lot. It's more of a lack of interest type of feeling that people get when the same corps seems to win too much. This could start to happen now with the Cavaliers. If they come out next year and win most of their shows, many, many, many people are going to be saying things like "not them again," or "anyone but Cavaliers."

3. When Cavaliers have won during the early part of this decade, they did so over Cadets and BD for the most part. Had they not won, it was likely that one of those two corps would have done so. This year was the first year of the decade in which a corps other than BD or Cadets have been in the 2nd spot. You already see more people saying in their reviews and discussions that Phantom should have won. Largely because they were that close. If BD or Cadets were there, it would be like "good God, which one of those two corps needs another title?"

So, in short, it's not as if people were booing Cadets or BD when they won. Usually when those two win, the crowd can sense they are the best. It's just a case of people wanting a change. And they will most definitely want that change now, both Midwestern fans and others. The only corps that has ever really taken a beating from the fans was Star of Indiana. And here George was right, the Midwestern fans never claimed them as their own, especially once they started to win. I know, I live in the Midwest. I went to many shows in those days, and what I saw was jealousy run amuck. People felt they hadn't earned it like the other corps. People complained about their money. People said they bought Garfield's staff to get good. People made up a lot of excuses to make themselves feel better about the fact that Star was winning a lot of shows. Probably should have won 3 titles in a row from 1991 - 1993. You can make an argument they should have won in 1990 too. I think Midwesterners have come to love Star, but just a bit too late.

I think it's called "Class envy".

Three of the loudest ovations I've ever heard in drum corps include:

Cadets in fifth place in 2006

Blue Devils in third place in 2006

Star of Indiana in third place in 1992

Probably the loudest ovation in the history of drum corps will forever be held by the Madison Scouts Alumni 2006 Project. (Not class envy).

why are you still here.. i thought LIFE was beckoning you....

oh and i remember two guys holding hands running around corps busses butt naked in 2002 in jacksonville i believe... thought they were cadets but i guess they were cavaliers...

WOW... Just wow... Hope you don't go there...

Jeeze, there's a lot of meanness running through this thread. How is it that Terrence posts die such quick deaths (for the cardinal sin of being silly or not having a "point") yet the hate, name calling, etc. we've seen sprinkled throughout this thread (and countless others) is allowed to continue for so long...?

Probably the loudest ovation in the history of drum corps will forever be held by the Madison Scouts Alumni 2006 Project. (Not class envy).

Have you been to many shows? :laugh:

The 2006 ovations, while very good, are no where near as loud as some I've heard in the past - including the Madison Scouts Alumni Project. 95 Madison and 82 SCV come to mind as much louder ovations than any of those. The announcement of 88 Madison as Champions was incredibly loud as well (though I was on the field, so the perspective might be different).

I think it's called "Class envy".

Not sure you can so universally chalk this up to "class envy"

I'm sure there was some of that, but when they announced Cadets and Blue Devils, most of the folks I saw reacted out of joy for Bluecoats and Phantom, respectively, not out of some animosity or "ha-ha" moment against the others. If DCI announced the scores 1st thru 12th instead of the other way around, I think you would have heard huge ovations at the announcement of 2nd place and 4th place. But because the standings are announced backwards, the "surprise" moment comes when the other corps name is called.

Again, I'm sure there are some people who don't like certain corps and revel in their lower placement, but I would contend that these folks are BY FAR the minority. Most cheering was for Phantom and Blooo, not against BD and Cadets, IMO.

(Oh, and also, I don't agree that these were the "loudest ovations ... ever" either ....