Why aren't The Cavaliers hated?

(Preface: This is NOT a Cavvie-bashing thread. I feel their placement this year and the past several were well-deserved.)

In any given sport when one team dominates for an extended period of time, they tend to turn into the "bad guy" and the fans want to see them go down. We've seen this in Drum Corps with Star in the early 90s and (IIRC) BD in the mid/late 90s.

So why are The Cavaliers immune? They have dominated the activity in the past 7 years in a way no one has ever done before. But the crowd still LOVES them.

Judging from crowd response, the favorites yesterday were Carolina Crown, SCV, Phantom, and Cavvies. In any other activity, the scrappy underdog not being able to muster enough to overtake the dominant force would have been met with a resounding chorous of BOOS. But the crowd ate it up. In fact, I would almost venture to guess that if Phantom had prevailed, THEN the boos would have come.

Why is that? How can the Cavaliers be so utterly dominant, and still be the fan favorite?

• Replies 226
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Because their shows are so visually appealing... I don't think that it's possible to dislike them. Honestly-- I tried my best to dislike "The Machine"-- and failed horribly. ^_^

the sheer physicality, velocity and imagination of their marching program is what does it for me..............

:worthy:

well for one they dont go out on the forefront all kinds of rules changes. they have their haters, but they seem to be quieter than those of other corps.

(Preface: This is NOT a Cavvie-bashing thread. I feel their placement this year and the past several were well-deserved.)

In any given sport when one team dominates for an extended period of time, they tend to turn into the "bad guy" and the fans want to see them go down. We've seen this in Drum Corps with Star in the early 90s and (IIRC) BD in the mid/late 90s.

So why are The Cavaliers immune? They have dominated the activity in the past 7 years in a way no one has ever done before. But the crowd still LOVES them.

Judging from crowd response, the favorites yesterday were Carolina Crown, SCV, Phantom, and Cavvies. In any other activity, the scrappy underdog not being able to muster enough to overtake the dominant force would have been met with a resounding chorous of BOOS. But the crowd ate it up. In fact, I would almost venture to guess that if Phantom had prevailed, THEN the boos would have come.

Why is that? How can the Cavaliers be so utterly dominant, and still be the fan favorite?

I think it is becuase they conduct themselves with an unbelievable amount of class. They are gratious and kind in victory as well as in defeat. Not every corps out there is like that.

With that being said, if cavies continue to punk everyone in DCI like they have been I think people will get tired of it.

... How can the Cavaliers be so utterly dominant, and still be the fan favorite?

Because they favor the fan. They understand their audience and deliver that unique Cavalier identity year-in and year-out. Yet, they don't allow their show's entertainment factor to detract from them playing impeccably and marching exquisitely. Star was amazing and deserved to win at the time, and yet, they were extremely boring to many. Thats why they were booed, not because they were perennial winners, but because they continued to field programs devoid of spectator appeal. Their departure from the activity was a loud f%#k you to the activity and revealed their true attitude towards the average ticket holder.

Edited by Brassop

Why aren't they hated?

Maybe because they don't do weird #### like certain other corps do year in and year out... :worthy: