Chicago wins DCI

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I live in Addison, literally one mile from DCI offices.... 45 minutes (with no traffic....like that ever happens in Chicago) to get downtown Chicago... 45 min-1 hr hr to get to Rockford. So if DCI offices being 45 minutes are considered "chicago" why not Rockford.

I live about 45 min away from bloomington/normal which is about 45 min from kankakee, which is about 45 min from chicago, so does that mean i'm in chicago?

Edit: enter sarcasm

Edited by triplefunk

Because Rockford is not considered part of the Chicagoland metropolitan area; it's too far west. Rockford has its own media market--TV, radio, newspapers--separate from Chicago's.

However, Rosemont might as well be Chicago, for all intents and purposes.

It is all perspective. When you are going to school on the Lakeshore campus of Loyola and your friend says to come drinking in Rosemont....you are like "I am not going all the way out to the burbs". I have heard kids at Ridgewood High (across Harlem Ave) from the City Limit say they were "going to Chicago" when they were visiting their Grammie 10 blocks east.

On the other hand I have friends in Indy who tell me their kid lives in Chicago....and the place they live is Sycamore. Pretty funny stuff. Rockpatch is not Chicago to any of us who have had to drive it regularly, neither is Elgin. Ifg I were staying in Rosemont I would tell my friends in Indy " I am going up to Chicago this weekend" but my friends that are Chicago Police and Fire could not live in Rosemont because it is NOT Chicago. After we moved to Park Ridge the only place we were the Choacgo Cavaliers anymore was in the WOrld Open announcers mind.....and those long time east caost fans that still yell GO GO CHAAAAACAAAAGOOOOO!!!

Perspective...... b**bs

Greater Rockford Airport was renamed Northwest Chicagoland Regional Airport a few years ago for marketing purposes. There are ongoing studies/talks with METRA trains about extending their existing 495-mile Metra system with 230 stations to come out to Rockford. The Metropolitan Railroad operates 12 surface train lines serving the six-county area which hub into downtown Chicago from the outlying Chicago suburbs.

I think these are 2 examples of how Rockford is becoming part of the Chicagoland area - whether we like it or not. I don't know if it is appropriate to say "Chicago wins DCI" (especially in light of the announced move of DCI headquarters to Indianapolis) - but we in the Greater Chicago area can proudly proclaim to be "Home of the 2006 DCI Champions". Both Cavies and Regiment are to be congratulated for being GREAT representatives of our state.

In the late 70's with a string of 2nd place results, we in Rockford would jokingly refer to ourselves as being from the "other" coast.....with the idea that somehow the California competitors had that geographic advantage. With both 1st and 2nd place corps from Illinois - perhaps global warming has indeed brought the "coast" to our state!!

Well...wasnt the village of Rosemont added as Chicago's 77th neighborhood? Or was that just O'hare?

I know that Chicago had 75 "official" neighborhoods. The city then split the Austin neighborhood (home of the great Stef) in half for 76 and then added the O'hare area to make 77.

Chicago Neighborhoods

I grew up in Rockford and I live in Chicago. Rockford is NOT Chicago. Rosemont is NOT Chicago. Only Chicago is Chicago. The surrounding area can be referred to as "the Chicago Area", "the Chicago Suburbs", "Chicagoland" etc. I take offense to someone who lives in Schaumburg claiming to live in Chicago. And there's no one in Rockford who would claim to live in Chicago or even the Chicago suburbs. Rockford has its own suburbs.

That said, I LOVE the fact that the 1st & 2nd place corps are from Illinois!

Funky how things work out like that. Last year all of the Div. Champs were from the East Coast.

Raiders

ECJ

Cadets

interesting.... :spit: :spit: :spit:

I grew up in Rockford and I live in Chicago. Rockford is NOT Chicago. Rosemont is NOT Chicago. Only Chicago is Chicago.

Sometimes I think this is the most pedantic board I've ever seen. In situations in which it's easier to do so, people jsut say they're from the anchor city of the metropolitan area in which they reside. This offends you? I'm sorry.