That WAS cool

1. At finals, as the DMs were lining up for the announcing of the scores (and they line up in order of performance), the SCV DMs fell in last, between Cadets and Bluecoats. Well, there wasn't quite enough room and they kind of wedged themselves into the spot. The three groups of DMs stood there awkwardly for what seemed like a couple minutes, until, finally, the CADETS GUARD CAPTAIN (is that what they still call them?) took the initiative, leaned over to the Cadets DM to her right, then all 3 Cadets DMs snapped to attention from parade rest, took one step to their right, and went back to parade rest, opening enough space for the (tardy) SCV DMs. WAY TO GO CADETS DMS!!

2. The weather: near perfect.

3. Ice cream at Babcock Hall........YUMMY. If you missed out on this, you blew it!

4. Seeing old friends I didn't even know were going to be there.

5. The TROOPERS souvie stand! I bought a pen.. for $20....as two of my kids watched (and later told on me to mom)...then the next night, a CD......for $30......come back Troopers...please.....it's only $50 I know......if I could give you more and get away with it, I would!

6. The Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Corps! I still get teary eyed thinking about it. Thank you thank you thank you.

7. Carolina Crown: WOW. You MADE me love you.

8. Phantom Regiment: OK, I've always loved PR, but holy crap, your show, Friday night especially, pulled the crowd to its feet at the end of the ballad. The only full crowd standing ovation in the middle of a performance I recall that weekend.

Thank you Madison.

Parking in someone's yard and hanging out with friends.

Phat Phunction

The bars/restaurants of Madison.

Div II/II finals.

In no particular order...

-- Madison Scouts Alumni Reunion Project. Probably the best alumni group to date. Awesome performances both Wednesday and Friday.

-- Hanging out with old friends and making new friends. It's what the activity is all about.

-- Weather. Perfect save for the wind Friday evening.

-- SCV. Incredible. One of my favorite shows of the summer.

-- PR. Jaw-dropping performances all 3 nights.

-- Blue Stars. Welcome back. Great show!

-- Blue Devils. Class. Was able to be with them on Sunday morning. Classy people - membership, staff, volunteers, parents.

Van

Cool Logistically:

How well the City of Madison organized transportation to and from the Alliant Centre. I was amazed at how efficiently they moved people.

$3 each for a two way trip on the shuttle and $4.75 parking made it $10.75 for parking. In Foxborough it cost us $50 a day to park our RV.

The prices and quality of food at the stadium - 1000 times better than Foxborough.

The proximity of the stadium to other restaurants, and the fact that you had in and out privileges. When you go to Div III semis in the morning and quarterfinals in the afternoon, it is too long of a day to have to survive on stadium food. The Urban had a DCI special of a slice of Pizza and a pop for $2.99.

Cool Show-wise:

Capital Regiment's Frisbee toss

Mr. Moto

Cavies body surfing

Flying Cadets

Crossmen Radio

Dutch Boy's - they killed Kenny!

Cavies spring getting sprung

Cadets' "Where are we?" and everyone shouting "Madison!"

SCV's field exit

Cool Logistically:

How well the City of Madison organized transportation to and from the Alliant Centre. I was amazed at how efficiently they moved people.

The bus driver told us they do the shuttle busses to the Alliant Energy Center for the Badger games, so they have a good system that's well tested. When I got onto the line after the finals I thought it would take about an hour to get to a bus from behind the apartment building, but within 10 minutes I was on a bus.

Our driver was cool, making announcements on the PA to remind us to take our personal belongings -- purses, backpack, children, etc. He kept it light while we made our way to Alliant. A very good representative for the City of Madison.

What made Madison cool?

The weather....

The City and people of Madison...

All the bars/restuarants within walking distance of Camp Randall...

State Street and UW in general...

Seeing old friends I marched with...

and the old drunk staff members too!

Being back in Madison after aging out there in '02.

The Stadium Bar showing DCI vids and the Tenor Camp...

Not getting ran over by a bike or scooter...

The DCI staff party and the awesome food bar this year!

And the fact I miss it already...it's the coolest drum corps city and state ever.

What made Madison so cool;

- Finals!!!!!!!!!!

- Weather (From Texas it was over 100 back home every day we were gone!)

- State St.

- The friendly people of Wisconsin!