March TROOPERS in 2007!

all i have to say is good luck to those guys. fred is the man and he did an absolutely amazing job helping at capital. amazing. i'm not joking when i say that we regularly broke out into "fred" chants.

agreed Fred is an awesome guy and is gonna be great for the Troopers!

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whatever you say.

Time will tell.

Just keep in mind that the average drum corps fan goes to about 1 show per year and doesn't read DCP. If I didn't read DCP I wouldn't have known that the Troopers weren't marching this year.

I have to agree--I knew because I read up on these things and felt bad they were NOT marching, but my two friends who I always bring along said, who is that guy in the uniform that just marched out and saluted the crowd (in what was a weird moment to me at finals someone was dressed like the Troopers drummajor came to the 50 and saluted during intermission)...I am like troopers--and they said, oh ya, hadn't noticed they weren't marching this year--and we went to more than 1 show!!!

I have to agree--I knew because I read up on these things and felt bad they were NOT marching, but my two friends who I always bring along said, who is that guy in the uniform that just marched out and saluted the crowd (in what was a weird moment to me at finals someone was dressed like the Troopers drummajor came to the 50 and saluted during intermission)...I am like troopers--and they said, oh ya, hadn't noticed they weren't marching this year--and we went to more than 1 show!!!

Was there a guy in a Kiwanis Kavaliers uniform, too? Or any of the 2/3 corps that didn't field?

Fred Morris is working on the staff as we type. When the key positions are secure, we will announce.

(I'd love for us to do some Gillis works, too) :)

Yah -- Don Gillis is one of those composers that I'm surprised hasn't been done more in DCI.

Is our ol' pal Chuck gonna be writing the brass book? (Or would that still be a secret at this point?)

P.S. Still want to hear Troopers play a show of music by Don Gillis. What could be a more ideal fit?

Hi Dan,

Don Gillis "Symphony X" and "Shindig" would be wonderful pieces of music on the field -- if you have a full corps and the talent to nail it. Anything less than that, and his music would only serve to highlight technical and musical deficiencies in a young group. I'd like to hear SCV or Crown play it, because I know they could really do it justice.

I have no plans for any future invovlement with the Troopers.

best,

Chuck Naffier

Wow.

I'm shocked that so many people can have blatant disrespect for any corps like some people have shown the past couple months. I marched Troopers for 2 years, so yeah I'm a little biased, but I'm getting sick of it. Everywhere I look, people are ripping on BD, the Cadets, Corps X,Y, and Z. I haven't surfed these forums and not seen something negative about one corps or another. I'm sick of it.

Alex

In 1979 I attended my very first drum corps show, DCI prelims in Birmingham. I remember seeing some great corps that morning -- Squires, Cadets of Greece, Velvet Knights -- and then came the Troopers. Even though I knew very little about drum corps and even less about the storied Troopers, I realized I was witnessing something special. Their performance that morning was electrifying and valuted the corps into finals. I've been a fan since.

The Troopers may not exactly be the drum corps name on everyone's lips at the moment and many younger fans are probably indifferent. However, long before Crown or Capital Regiment or Esperanza were setting the world on fire and becomming the talk of the community, Troopers were setting the standards by which all others were measured and helping to define modern drum corps. The contributions of Jim Jones and his Troopers are incalculable and should not be forgotten. I, for one, can't wait to see them return.