Crowd favorites 1987-2006

The crowd favorite doesn't have much/anything to do with expected placement. More often than not the fan favorite and the corps most people acknowledge as deserving of a championship are completely different. It's a rare year when the favorite is also the winner ('88 comes immediately to mind). It has everything to do with show impact, power, emotion, humor, creativity and a million intangibles that connect the corps to the crowd. This year it was Phantom in my opinion, even though a lot of folks who loved them best can also understand the merits of Cavvies show and agree it was also worthy of a title.

good example

"1997 – Madison and maybe Crossmen right with them"

I totally agree with this pick. Huge huge huge ovations for both corps, multiple standing O's for both during their shows as well as after. Crossmen, in fact, got a standing O that year as they marched ONTO the field from a legion of fans who adored what they had created. I don't think you would have found too many fans who would have felt they should have won the title that year, but God we loved them. :blink::laugh::blink:

92 VK also - listen to the crowd during and at the end of their show - legendary crowd favorite and a 10th place finish.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember the crowd being pretty weak after/during Cadets 02, especially when the firetrucks went off across the street. I don't know who was the crowd favorite though, I assume it was Cavies. It was a long time ago and unfortunately, my only finals so far.

You guys that are choosing PR as the 2006 favorite, what are you basing it on? If you're basing it on personal reaction, count me in for PR, too. They're my favorite show of the year, and one of a very few that go down with my favorite shows ever.

But if you're basing it on crowd reaction during finals week, I'd have to say Cavvies. PR's crowd reaction was great, but from where I was sitting, Cavvies' was just a notch higher.

95 - Cadets

I'd say they were the crowd's second favourite.

I don't have a huge list and I'm a die hard cavie fan, so it would be unfair just to name all cavie shows. but the one show that drove home in my heart was Phantom Regiment in 2003. Absolutely my Favorite show of all time, the euph soli, pure bliss :blink::laugh::blink:

The crowd favorite doesn't have much/anything to do with expected placement. More often than not the fan favorite and the corps most people acknowledge as deserving of a championship are completely different. It's a rare year when the favorite is also the winner ('88 comes immediately to mind). It has everything to do with show impact, power, emotion, humor, creativity and a million intangibles that connect the corps to the crowd. This year it was Phantom in my opinion, even though a lot of folks who loved them best can also understand the merits of Cavvies show and agree it was also worthy of a title.

good example

"1997 – Madison and maybe Crossmen right with them"

I totally agree with this pick. Huge huge huge ovations for both corps, multiple standing O's for both during their shows as well as after. Crossmen, in fact, got a standing O that year as they marched ONTO the field from a legion of fans who adored what they had created. I don't think you would have found too many fans who would have felt they should have won the title that year, but God we loved them. :laugh::blink::blink:

92 VK also - listen to the crowd during and at the end of their show - legendary crowd favorite and a 10th place finish.

When I created the thread this is exactly how I should have phrased it. Where were you when I was toying around?

1987 – SCV and Garfield Cadets, but also remember Bluecoats were a big surprise, making finals the first time, big crowd reactions

1988 – SCV and Madison (no doubt about Madison, but SCV was way up there too)

1989 – Phantom, SCV, and then perhaps Cadets with Les Mis

1990 – Cavaliers, then Cadets, then Crossmen

1991 – Cavaliers, then Phantom (I think Cavies more so on this one because many did not want to see Star win)

1992 – Cadets, Blue Devils, Crossmen, and even SCV

1993 – Phantom, then Cadets, then BD

1994 – Blue Devils, then anyone from Phantom to Cadets to Madison

1995 - Madison by far, then Cadets all John Williams show, then Bluecoats, then Cavaliers

1996 – Phantom, Cadets, BD, Crossmen, Madison

1997 – Madison (Pirates show was great), BD, SCV, Cadets, Crossmen

1998 – SCV, Cadets

1999 - SCV, Cavaliers (passing Cadets to take 3rd)

2000 – Cadets, Cavaliers (both were loved all season), also Boston was way up there

2001 – Not sure, honestly

2002 – Cadets were entertaining here for sure, but too much cheese for many, probably Cavaliers or Boston

2003 – Phantom, BD, Cadets, Bluecoats

2004 – Cavaliers, BD, Bluecoats

2005 – Phantom Regiment

2006 – Phantom Regiment

00 - 06 - who knows, they all sound the same.

Listen harder. Trust me, you can do it. You wouldn't want me giving up and saying "72-87 - who knows, they all sound the same" would you?

1991 – Cavaliers, then Phantom (I think Cavies more so on this one because many did not want to see Star win)

Disagree with you on this one. That crowd was chanting so loud for us at Quarterfinals that we couldn't hear Galen giving us the hut cadence to come onto the field. For semis and finals we had to have several people in the corps "hutting" as well. Not to mention reactions given our respective shows while on the road that year, whenever Star was not around. I don't think a lot of people in the crowd ever warmed up to "Christmas Music" in the summer.

1992 – Cadets, Blue Devils, Crossmen, and even SCV

Cadets were a feel good story, Blue Devils were enjoyed, Crossmen was respected, and SCV was beloved....but the Cavaliers were by far the crowd favourite that year.