Mr Hopkins remarks about judging

Has DCI done or said anything about Mr Hopkins remarks made in public, questioning the intergrity of some DCI judges because they gave his Corps a low score? And then to go on and name a handfull of judges that he likes. I wonder if these were the ones that gave his Corps high marks. It's one thing to have a fan question the wisdom of the judges. But to have a Drum and Bugles Corps Dir. weeks away from DCI Finals question DCI judges in public is unacceptable.If DCI does not address this matter. I will be left with no other choice then to agree with Mr Hopkins.That there is indeed a problem with some of the best judges in the world. And that all scores may be in question. (my words)

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has DCI done or said anything about Mr Hopkins remarks made in public, questioning the intergrity of some DCI judges because they gave his Corps a low score? And then to go on and name a handfull of judges that he likes. I wonder if these were the ones that gave his Corps high marks. It's one thing to have a fan question the wisdom of the judges. But to have a Drum and Bugles Corps Dir. weeks away from DCI Finals question DCI judges in public is unacceptable.If DCI does not address this matter. I will be left with no other choice then to agree with Mr Hopkins.That there is indeed a problem with some of the best judges in the world. And that all scores may be in question. (my words)

DCI will probably not address it since it was on Hop's blog...they should because there is a problem...even with the Guard Judge that gives BLOO a low score all the time...not fair...but unfortunately DCI will probably just "ignore" the issue at hand...

What do you propose DCI do?

Yeah, exactly. The guy's just posting opinions on his blog; it's not exactly official. He's going to have to go to DCI -- they're not going to come to him. Unfortunately, as we all know, Hopkins is a bit of a recluse, and tends to shy away from DCI BoD meetings.

Has DCI done or said anything about Mr Hopkins remarks made in public, questioning the intergrity of some DCI judges because they gave his Corps a low score?

Why should they? The only difference between what Hopkins allegedly did (and I don't agree with your characterization of what he did) and what nearly every other director does at some point is the media he chose. Heck, I heard - and this might not be true - that Phantom staff made a show of having the buses/trucks run over the judges' tapes from Friday night. Is it more respectful when you disrespect the judges in front of hundreds of people instead of thousands?

What about the director who made an obscene gesture from the field at retreat at a previous Camp Randall championship? What sanction would you recommend for him?

Anyone who thinks the majority of directors and staff are sealing their lips when it comes to public criticism of the judging is being naive. It's out there. There's plenty of it. And much of it is a lot worse than anything you read on Hopkins blog.

HH

Edited by glory

DCI will probably not address it since it was on Hop's blog...they should because there is a problem...even with the Guard Judge that gives BLOO a low score all the time...not fair...but unfortunately DCI will probably just "ignore" the issue at hand...

I think alot of corps, in some way, get screwed over by certain judges over the summer. Judging is so subjective and inconsistent, the politics of the whole thing is ridiculous, a reason why I don't even care about the numbers or what some fat guy in a green shirt says about my performance. Just go and enjoy the shows, people :)

Edited by Einstein On The Beach

I think alot of corps, in some way, get screwed over by certain judges over the summer. Judging is so subjective and inconsistent, the politics of the whole thing is ridiculous, a reason why I don't even care about the numbers or what some fat guy in a green shirt says about my performance. Just go and enjoy the shows, people :)

Winner.

Why should they? The only difference between what Hopkins allegedly did (and I don't agree with your characterization of what he did) and what nearly every other director does at some point is the media he chose. Heck, I heard - and this might not be true - that Phantom staff made a show of having the buses/trucks run over the judges' tapes from Friday night. Is it more respectful when you disrespect the judges in front of hundreds of people instead of thousands?

What about the director who made an obscene gesture from the field at retreat at a previous Camp Randall championship? What sanction would you recommend for him?

Anyone who thinks the majority of directors and staff are sealing their lips when it comes to public criticism of the judging is being naive. It's out there. There's plenty of it. And much of it is a lot worse than anything you read on Hopkins blog.

HH

Ripping up sheets and destroying tapes did not start with the white and silver team, friend.

:)

What do you propose DCI do?

I propose that DCI fine the Corps Dir or staff member who criticze the judges in public. Like all other sporting activities. DCI must step up and stop this from all Corps Dirs. and staff. DCI needs to stand behind their judges with out question.