Drum Corps is the Most Amazing Activity on the Planet!

I just watched a video of the original tune Cadets ballad was based on - then the Cadets performing that same tune... amazing stuff - right? Ballad choreograhpy - amazing. How can they do this stuff.

Then I watched Phantom, then Crown, then Cavaliers, then SCV. Guess what - all AMAZING stuff. Unbelievable - these are literally young people who are the VERY BEST in the ENTIRE WORLD at what they do.

Then I watched the all-access video on YEA.org - focused on the food truck - volunteers sweating inside that thing with smiles on their faces - doing it all out of love.

THAT was seriously amazing. Gave me goosebumps.

See - it doesn't work that way in other activities. Young people - or us amature types - can play baseball or footbball - and we can be good at it - but there's still the NFL or MLB out there. We would not be the "best in the world" at either baseball or football. Drum corps isn't like that - in corps - we just work really really hard at something we love and we become literally the best in the world at what we do.

Mini corps? Yup - they are the best mini corps in the world.

Junior corps - Yup - they are the best junior corps - marching-music organizations in the world!

Senior corps? Yup - they are the best part-time marching-music organizations in the world!!

And we do it not because it's easy - but because it is difficult. Not because it's popular - but because we love it.

Heck - I think the fact that it isn't popular or well-known makes it even more cool - we are like this unknown really-cool subculture that we get to be a part of.

Be us fans, or volunteers, or members, or staff - we literally speak our own language - live by our own rules - that no one outside of our secret subculture would understand. Literally - we speak our own language. How amazing is that? Is all of this?

We work harder at something we don't get paid to do (we pay to do it) or become famous for doing (most don't even know we exist) not because it is popular, or easy

But because its hard, and something special and unique that we share, we get, we understand.

Its their loss. The "outsiders"

Its our reward.

It's drum corps... the most amazing activity on the planet.

:blink:

Edited by George

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Totally, completely, 100%, absolutely agree !!!!! :blink::wacko::lol:

Sometimes I think that I'm glad that this is a niche activity, because IT'S ALL OURS !!!! We get to be up close and personal any time we want with these great performers, with these great performances. "Outsiders" can call me geeky all they want -- I just smile and nod, and then snicker at what they're missing if they only knew.

Yeah, if only that untapped "special" portion of the uninitiated caught a whiff of what this thing called drum corps is really about, and pay close attention to details and see and hear how they all fit together into a cohesive show, then they're hooked.

And by "special", I mean anyone who "gets" what it is all about and comes to appreciate it.

Like me, circa 2001, when the PBS broadcast got me. I admit it - I'm hopelessly hooked, and I :blink: it. :)

I remember seeing it a few times on PBS as a kid. Never thought about it again until our son saw a video in band class and came home wanting to do it. I am sooooooooooooo glad he did because we have fallen in love with the activity and have gained so much from it. We have made lifelong friends and will have a common bond with only those who truly know and love this activity.

CorpsMom13

I can't NOT post in the only thread on DCP where we all are in agreeance!!! :wacko:

Drum corps ----> :blink: