Best Year In Division 2 Ever?

I predicted it was going to be a great year going in, and it ended up living up to all the hype. Academy was everything they were predicted to be, the powerhouses from the East didn't let up, OC surprised some people with a great brass line and a great show, and SCVC and BDB made their return to Div 2 finals with quality programs. I have very little knowledge of the history of Division 2, but it seems to me that this was one of the better years Div. 2 has seen in its history: lots of corps flip-flopping the whole season and neck-and-neck competition up until the last show. I know it was a blast to be a part of; what was it like for you people in the stands?

I thought it was an excellent year particularly for Div 2. Memphis Sound improved so much from last year, and Teal stepped it up at the end to complete the season respectfully. Academy and Spartans' shows were pretty awesome, and the other corps held their own. I hope it improves even further next year, and perhaps some of the Div. III corps will move to Div. II next year.

I thought it was an excellent year particularly for Div 2. Memphis Sound improved so much from last year, and Teal stepped it up at the end to complete the season respectfully. Academy and Spartans' shows were pretty awesome, and the other corps held their own. I hope it improves even further next year, and perhaps some of the Div. III corps will move to Div. II next year.

Ah yes, the backhanded insults of ECJ continue.

read some other threads, then deleted this post.

Edited by Canadacorps

I predicted it was going to be a great year going in, and it ended up living up to all the hype. Academy was everything they were predicted to be, the powerhouses from the East didn't let up, OC surprised some people with a great brass line and a great show, and SCVC and BDB made their return to Div 2 finals with quality programs. I have very little knowledge of the history of Division 2, but it seems to me that this was one of the better years Div. 2 has seen in its history: lots of corps flip-flopping the whole season and neck-and-neck competition up until the last show. I know it was a blast to be a part of; what was it like for you people in the stands?

I think it really may have been. I don't doubt for an instant that the level of competition and number of competitive Corps both came up. Can't wait for the dvd's.

um....yea i didnt see anything about ECJ in his post....quit being so offended its an internet forum. :lol:

I agree however that this year seems to be the best year for Div.2 yet. Since 2002 I honestly feel that this season contained overall great shows top to bottom.

um....yea i didnt see anything about ECJ in his post....quit being so offended its an internet forum. :lol:

I don't really care. I actually think it's kind of funny.

Don't roll your eyes at me. It's rude.

I have a video...let's see...hang on...it's the 2001 Div II/III shows. A VIDEO!! HAAAAAAAAA. No DVD. Anyway...that was the Masschusetts year, right? I can say, without a doubt, that I came to Madison with THAT video as my only big time exposure to Division II/III (not counting of course my extensive west coast experiences). That being said...

2006 was like another universe compared to 2001. As a matter of fact, talking with some people "in the know" at Madison, they were saying that Div II/III is REALLY coming into its own, and in some respects (and I agree), was even MORE entertaining and exciting than Division I, East Coast Jazz included (that was just a little joke there to rankle Mr. Hunt above a little).

So...congrats to everyone in Div II/III that helped to make your divisions stand out and APART from what we classically refer to as "the big boys". You had a GREAT crowd on hand that gave everyone standing ovations and was very very appreciative of your efforts.

Even East Coast Jazz's as well.

From the perspective of someone who hadn't really seen any Division II/III shows since the days of Class A & A-60 in the early 90s... I was really, really impressed at the quality of some of these programs.

But to compare apples to apples... If the old division rules were still in place, many of these units would've been Open Class corps since they would've been too large for the Class A 90-member limit. Comparing today's Division II corps to the Open Class quarter- and semi-finalists of years past seems more appropriate and the performance quality seems to be right on par.

Edited by SkyDog