1st place - The Cavaliers - The Sea Hawk

2nd place - Santa Clara Vanguard - Pirates of the Caribbean

3rd place - Carolina Crown - Victory at Sea

:P

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 1992 Raiders based our complete show on the music from "Victory at Sea" in Div III competition

hmm, I'm seriously contemplating writing out the opening section of the main title theme for my old HS to play as a warmup or something.... They have about 330 kids... That should do the trick... hmm... My hair would stand STRAIGHT up!!!

Oh, and BTW, if you've never seen the series "Victory at Sea," do yourself a favor and go BUY it... It will make you feel so great about the amazing country we live in and the people who helped shape our country into the great nation we are today... WOW! Everytime the big "V" comes on the screen, I can't help but smile with pride... It's like really good candy... or a drug.... or something... My roomate bursts into uncontrollable laughter... Like, a good kind... Maybe we're being brainwashed? Oh well, it's GREAT!!!!!

Edited by SCVsopAaron

B)-->

QUOTE(Jay B @ Aug 17 2006, 02:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The main theme is a great piece of music. In addition to the corps mentioned above, the Royal Airs did it in 63 as an opener. When Victory at Sea has been used, it has been as one song in the show, not the entire show. With todays theme show imperitive, I don't think there is enough meat there for a full show. Its movie music. Though, the Godfather kind of worked for the BD so maybe I'm wrong. It is also a style of music that I am not sure fits today's marching style. If it was performed, it would probably need to be chopped up and mangled beyond recognition.

The Royal-Airs opener in '63 was "Quo Vadis", however another midwest corps, the Belleville Black Knights, did play "Victory At Sea" that year as their otl.

the soundtrack from the seas hawk is also a very sweet score

Guardsmen in '80

27th in '82

I've often wondered why nobody ever did a full show on "The Sea Hawk."

Next year's top 3:

1st place - The Cavaliers - The Sea Hawk

2nd place - Santa Clara Vanguard - Pirates of the Caribbean

3rd place - Carolina Crown - Victory at Sea

:P

IIRC 27 and Guardsmen used Seahawk as opener in early 80s. It is a good 3 minute song, but I am not sure you could stretch it into a whole show. Hoewver, using it as an opener, w/ Naval Hymn ballad and something else nautically inspired as closed could work

Edited by IllianaLancerContra

the soundtrack from the seas hawk is also a very sweet score

1980 Reading Buccaneers used it as the opener in DCA - they did this rotating letter "B" and if I remember correctly the horns were blowing air through the horns to simulate a sea sound before they let rip. Very cool - they got the win that year.

EDIT - I see Storkysr lurking on this thread - I'm sure you can tell me if I got that right!

Edited by kusankusho

IIRC, the USMC drum and bugle corps played "Victory At Sea" in Madison!!!! :worthy:

well you had to be deaf to miss that, Mike... :blink: :P

I THOUGHT this thread was about asking that someone play it next year and what a good show it would make...

not who did play it already...

and as you know... the USMC Drum & Bugle Corps always plays a portion... if not all... of Victory At Sea.