Potential Danger

If DCI is really the evil empire you suspect, maybe you could get a different hobby. You know, one you could promote instead of tear down...

Instead of wringing your hands at the "demise" of DCI, call someone you trust (and if you don't trust anyone, I think I can identify the problem). After the financial debacle that was Birmingham, DCI was literally days (hours?) from closing the doors. Don't think this stuff happens without the hard work of everyone involved, not just a few greedy hands, cause no one gets rich in drum corps. If they did, I'd be in it, too.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

www.drumcorpsisdying.ded

:P

...After the financial debacle that was Birmingham, DCI was literally days (hours?) from closing the doors...

It's no secret that when Sam Mitchell was Executive Director of DCI, he had proposed a new "chapter" for the organization. To be honest, I understood his logic at the time, although I didn't want to see it happen. There was a pall hanging over DCI unlike anything I'd ever seen before, and there were good reasons for it. Then Dan came in with the attitude that if something was wrong, drum corps was too important for it not to be fixed. And today, we can't even imagine that earlier period, although we all know we went through it.

Change and evolution have been going on ever since, and overall, (despite what one might think about some of of he competitive or creative issues), it's been good for the activity. We're no longer talking about drum corps dying...We're actually looking at ways to posture the activity for it to grow and thrive and deal with the issues of today and the perceived issues of tomorrow. DCI is no longer in the position of reacting to the marketplace, but creating the marketplace. Compare the attendence at all the regionals (including ones that didn't exist a few years ago) and it's clear that new markets are being tapped.

If drum corps isn't going to be around in five years as stated in the initial posting, someone better tell all these new people to go get a new hobby.

I'm all for it as long as Hops isn't on the board.

Having no clue how accurate the original topic starter is, it says that YEA! isn't for it.

Hopkins is a talented guy, but asking him to run the Crossmen, YEA, Direct the Cadets, and then take greater responsibility in DCI is something I doubt he'd want to do.

I have some land in Florida....

You do ? Whatever you do, don''t sell it. Even the marsh land there is going up in value. ( even the sayings that used to be true arn't neccessarily true anymore. The guy or gal who looked like they got bamboozled buying that barren swampland in Florida, is now making a financial killing on it..... haha ! )

Edited by X DM

So many people dislike the trend in DCI of "Super Corps", a handful of the same corps, always at the top. Well, now there is a movement that would not only put them at the top on finals night, but give them absolute control over EVERYTHING in DCI.

At the September 30th meeting there will be a proposal to change the DCI by-laws and restructure the way DCI is run. I haven't been able to pull out all the details yet, but this is what I have been told by one DCI official. To be quite frank, I am surprised that is hasn't been brought up here before, especially considering that in April it came within 1 vote of passing.

Apparently this has been around for some time having been a side note since 1987 when it last came close to passing. The first major change is that it would do away with the 24 member board of directors which currently gives each div 1 member corps basically one vote. It would change DCI into a corporation with a 5 person board of directors more than likely voted in from the directors of the top 6 corps. When someone steps down the remaining members will select the replacement. Their decisions will be absolute.

This board of directors will have the authority to tell corps how many shows they are allowed to participate in based on financial status and previous performance. They will tell the corps how big a tour they can have and if they can tour at all. The way it was described to me if they so choose, they can tell corps' that they will not be in any shows if they feel that they are not a revenue boost for that show. They will even have complete control over how the money is distributed.

This could spell disaster for the lower tier div III corps since they do now draw the crowds in they could potentially not be allowed into any shows. As is it sits now there is an almost even split for and against. The big names trying to push this through are the Blue Devils and the Cavaliers along with a few smaller corps. Those against inclide the YEA groups and others.

The way it was described to me was 'blatant power-mongering'. 'Nothing but a way for the rich to get richer'. The official who made me aware of this today said that he absolutely believe that if this passes it will be the end of drum corps as we know it within 5 years. As I said before, I don't know how accurate this assessment is, but even if only half of it is right I really dislike it. When someone within DCI tells me this. I worry. I worry that the activity I love could be wiped out by a group of single minded individuals.

I am really looking hard into this as it has me genuinely worried. Any additional info on this would be greatly appreciated.

*This is no laughing matter.*

With BDs and Cavies trying to push it through,you are correct no laughing matter. :rolleyes:

WordRider Heeaah!