Jackson MS show

you know, i just have to wonder what its like to have finals less then 20 min from where you live. i would like that to happen to me, but i doubt it will. maybe if i move to Indy....

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

hey ill be going to USM in 2 years. that would about as close to a home show as you could get.

you know, i just have to wonder what its like to have finals less then 20 min from where you live. i would like that to happen to me, but i doubt it will. maybe if i move to Indy....

I aged out in 93, 20 minutes from my house.

In some ways it was kindof cool. We had a thing in Bluecoats where ageouts would rotate shows for who would call the block at retreat. If an ageout had a "home show", they would get to call the block for that particular show. When this was discussed at the beginning of the season, I said the only show that I wanted to do was my homeshow. Of course, nobody realized at the time that it would be finals! :P So I got to call block at finals which was really cool.

But after that, it sucked. You go from living/bonding with the same people 24/7 for 10 weeks straight (or more) and from the peak of the summer - DCI finals - retreat - aging out - fireworks - the whole deal - and then in 20 minutes you're at home back to your normal life. It was culture shock to the extreme. I was depressed for about 2 weeks.

i know the finals were held here in 1993, but do you think a show could come back? i know housing was a big issue, but with a show there would not be as many corps and plus new schools have been built. both i went to (middle and high school) have plenty of space for housing 2 corps. sleeping space and more than enough fields. if DCI really wanted to, they could cram 3 corps into each school. plus the high school was built in 2002 and the middle school was built in 1996. there is still the same stadium from 1993, but there have been more built since then. and i know with the Jackson Generals around here, more people are starting to know a little more about drum corps. its just a thought, since personaly i think they need more shows in the southeast.

please discuss...

After Hurrican Katrina and Rita you would think not! :laugh:

remnantTerrance

it was really only the coast that got hurt them most. up here, everything is going strong and in dire need of some drum corps action.

*sigh* memories....watching finals live at a friend's house with a bunch of band kids...knowing that I wanted to do this more than anything in the world!! '93 Jackson will always be special to me. Hearing those shows will always remind me of hot steamy sweaty rainy southern nights, as the show saw a threatening thunderstorm slide right by and the show went on. Most of my extended family lives about an hour south of Jackson in the crossroad town of Jayess...not far from Bogue Chitto (lol) and Monticello. Ya.....I love the deep south....

I can only contribute from the perspective of a fan who attended Championships in Jackson. Unfortunately, whereas '93 was one of my favorite years of drum corps, Jackson was by far my least favorite place for Championships and I've attended everyone since 1990. There wasn't a great sense that anyone (stadium officials, local businesses, etc) was even remotely prepared for the crowds. All around, aside from some of my all time favorite shows from that Championship, it was not a great experience. Interestingly, a group of us at Championships this year were

reflecting on our favorite and least favorite venues and there was complete consensus on '93 in Jackson as the least favorite. BTW, I have to say the people were friendly... I'm not in any way trying to be disrespectful.

Gosh, I really hope finals never goes back there. I used to live in Hammond, LA ( a few hours down the road) and drove around many times in Jackson, MI while traveling through there. It was very depressing, and I couldn't imagine enough good schools to house the corps. Plus the South in August can really suck as far a humidity goes. Customer service relative to many places I've been to wasn't the greatest there either, but close to on par with much of the South. The food people are mostly friendly, but not the greatest on service. I dunno... I don't want to badmouth the city, but there are many other places much better in my mind! BTW, I wouldn't have finals anywhere in Louisiana either!

I aged out in 93, 20 minutes from my house.

In some ways it was kindof cool. We had a thing in Bluecoats where ageouts would rotate shows for who would call the block at retreat. If an ageout had a "home show", they would get to call the block for that particular show. When this was discussed at the beginning of the season, I said the only show that I wanted to do was my homeshow. Of course, nobody realized at the time that it would be finals! :P So I got to call block at finals which was really cool.

But after that, it sucked. You go from living/bonding with the same people 24/7 for 10 weeks straight (or more) and from the peak of the summer - DCI finals - retreat - aging out - fireworks - the whole deal - and then in 20 minutes you're at home back to your normal life. It was culture shock to the extreme. I was depressed for about 2 weeks.

I can relate to this sort of. I aged-out of the Blue Knights in Atlanta (on Friday night) in 1984. My parents had come down for the shows and after semi-finals I went back to the hotel with them to sleep in a real bed. Remember how great the thought of a 'real bed' was the last week of tour?

The next night we went to finals as spectators and I hung out a little with a few of my friends from the corps. Then finals ended and it was back to the hotel. The next morning we got up and made the four hour drive home. My time as a junior corps member was over. Suddenly.

The Blue Knights at that time were not a corps that drew lots of members from lots of different places. We had a couple of guys from California and another eight or ten Memphis Blues ex-patriots BUT the bulk of our corps came from Colorado or one of the bordering states (Utah, Wyoming, Arizona, New Mexico, Kansas, Nebraska). In other words, most of the corps was getting back on the bus and riding back to Colorado.

In retrospect, if I could go back and do it again, I would have spent the time with my parents that I did in Atlanta BUT after finals I would have gotten on the bus with my corps and taken the last bus trip with my friends. The two or three day ride back to Denver would have been an opportunity to decompress and would have made the transition back to 'regular life' easier. Heck, I might have even then turned around and taken the train home giving me another three days to reflect on how the experience had changed me for the better before I had to deal with starting class and working up a senior trumpet recital.

David