Cadets won guard in '91 - with the ABC's of Modern Drum Corps

Blue Devils won in '92 - first year with guys on the guard

Later,

Mike

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cavvies should have won it all in 91. Star was flat at finals (I was there). Cavvies were on fire. Consensus around me (side 2, 0 yard line, absolute top row) was cavvies 1st, SCV 2nd, Phantom 3rd, Star 4th.

Even Rondo said on the broadcast that Star was off that night.

:huh:

Star of Indiana 4th?

Are you...what I'm trying to ask is...

forget it! :sshh:

One of the best hornlines ever. Great visual book. Great development of props and their use in some of the best visually articulate sets I've ever seen!!!!!!!!!(Referring to the box that folds through perc into company front; Gold star props; Disappearing cross)

:rolleyes:

FOR SHAME!!!!!!!! <**>

• 2 weeks later...

Well, Rondo said something like; "Star had a good night, and Cavies had a real good night, so it should be interesting". Guess that is as close to calling someone flat as you are likely to hear on the telecast.

But 4th? .........Can I get some of what you are smoking?

Yeah, I was there and the Cavies were on fire, no doubt. And it still wasn't enough. Not even close.

OK, this RAMD thread says Cadets won guard in '91, Blue Devils in '92.

However, I also found another post saying that Blue Devils won best guard in 1991. That was their "Conversations in Blue" show, where they had such an amazing sabre line. But '91 was also when Cadets did their "ABC's of Modern American Music" music show, and they had a really superb guard. So I'm betting that '91 is correct for Cadets. Blue Devils sound right for '92. That's when they did their "Big, Bad and Blue" show. Didn't much care for shows that year, so nothing really stands out in my mind, other than the Cadets' propellers.

As usual.. Sue is spot on.

I was going to guess either the Cadets or the Blue Devils.

Both were exceptional guards. THEN.

Sharon

LOL LOL LOL...oh bouy !

Oh, now, hush Geoff! Yes, I know, I screwed up the Blue Devils' show name! My reign as the URL queen comes to an end. :P

Or . . . maybe this goes to the "then vs. now" debate? Ah, well. We're not going to resolve that one here, especially since in the end, it all boils down to personal opinion. Stylistically, my preference certainly is for the old days, probably up to the early '90s, and then my interest began to wane after that. But I do still have a fair bit of admiration for what guards do nowadays; much of it just isn't my cuppa tea, is all.

Anyway, back to the guard list: I think we've all pretty much agreed that ~G~'s list is the definitive one.

Oh, now, hush Geoff! Yes, I know, I screwed up the Blue Devils' show name! My reign as the URL queen comes to an end. :P

Anyway, back to the guard list: I think we've all pretty much agreed that ~G~'s list is the definitive one.

Oh sweetheart !! NO, no, no, no,.....what I posted had nothing to do with you at all what so ever, and you are usually right on the mark as usual. I guess my 'round about way at highlighting something else failed.

PM, on the way........

~G~

Well, Rondo said something like; "Star had a good night, and Cavies had a real good night, so it should be interesting". Guess that is as close to calling someone flat as you are likely to hear on the telecast.

But 4th? .........Can I get some of what you are smoking?

Yeah, I was there and the Cavies were on fire, no doubt. And it still wasn't enough. Not even close.

Yeah Mike, but did you have better seats than side B, Goalline at the very top row?!? :wub:

Perspective can be a very important consideration.

Oh sweetheart !! NO, no, no, no,.....what I posted had nothing to do with you at all what so ever, and you are usually right on the mark as usual. I guess my 'round about way at highlighting something else failed.

No, I kinda got it . . . though it took a while for my dim bulb to light up. I figured it had more to do with the "then vs. now" debate than anything.

FWIW, my obsession with stats doesn't always make me right; just obsessed! :P