Bluecoats bass hole on finals night.

Anybody know how he is doing?

Just to help the public get filled in:

Nick is doing well. He did have a blister on his foot that got infected (basically overnight). It was pretty scary seeing the effects it had on his leg/rest of his body at such a quick rate.

All the guys in the line were assuming that he'd be out for a few days, then back in by early finals week. Next thing we know he was still in the hospital while we were moving housing sites, eventually it became clear he was not healing in time, which was heartbreaking. I believe he flew home Thursday (Quarters day), and has been resting at home since then. Last I spoke with him he still is hooked to an IV, getting pumped with anti-biodics.

While I'm not Nick's personal spokesman, I felt it was necessary to get the info out to stop any rumors. He was bass 5 this past season, and has one season left; hopefully he'll get a chance to age out at home in CA for 2007.

-Eric

Bluecoats Snare '04-'06

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nick is doing well. He did have a blister on his foot that got infected (basically overnight). It was pretty scary seeing the effects it had on his leg/rest of his body at such a quick rate.

All the guys in the line were assuming that he'd be out for a few days, then back in by early finals week. Next thing we know he was still in the hospital while we were moving housing sites, eventually it became clear he was not healing in time, which was heartbreaking. I believe he flew home Thursday (Quarters day), and has been resting at home since then. Last I spoke with him he still is hooked to an IV, getting pumped with anti-biodics.

While I'm not Nick's personal spokesman, I felt it was necessary to get the info out to stop any rumors. He was bass 5 this past season, and has one season left; hopefully he'll get a chance to age out at home in CA for 2007.

-Eric

Bluecoats Snare '04-'06

Thank you for the update Eric...... I know we can all be catty and insencere at times, but when it comes to concern over a person's health, this is one big family B) . Hope you march proud next year Nick, you have a drum corps war story that few can match!!

We were leaving the stadium bar before the towards the end of intermission at quarterfinals (just as the Bluecoats' staff were checking in :P)...

Dang, Adam, were YOU there, too? Dude, I would have liked to have met you. MAN... I missed a whole bunch of people I would have liked to have met that

night. Turns out EVERYONE was in that tent at one time or another that night...

We were leaving the stadium bar before the towards the end of intermission at quarterfinals (just as the Bluecoats' staff were checking in :P)...according to a visual instructor, the bass drummer did indeed develop a very serious infection in one of his feet / legs and was hospitalized. The line closed his spot visually and musically, a rather impressive feat with a week left in the season.

Impressive indeed....and they scored a 3rd place in Percussion!!!!! NICE JOB 'Coats!!!!

-Eric

Bluecoats Snare '04-'06

My son marched 2nd bass drum for Bluecoats this year and told me last night that Nick is able to walk some now. So he's doing better.

Gosh... this sounds like it was BAD. Man, I sincerely hope this fellow Nick is on the road to full recovery and the ability to march his last year. It's ironic that as I was experiencing an absolutely magical time marching with MSARP and living large in a dream come true, this poor dude Nick was going through a nightmare. Kinda puts things in perspective, sorta.

I hope anyone in touch with him will pass on that he is in all our thoughts and that his misfortune has touched us all.

I knew a girl who went to Mexico and tried on some sandals made in a little village down there. There was an exposed nail coming through the bottom of the sole that poked her and caused bleeding. It was not that big of a deal at the time, and she went back to the hotel and put Neosporin on it. It didn't heal, and even two weeks later it was worse, not better. Long story short, she came darn close to having to have her foot amputated, but luckily it was saved and she is fine now. But Nicks story sounds amazingly similar.

Best wishes to Nick the Bluecoats bass drummer and to a speedy recovery... :laugh:

Thanks everyone for the updates!

Do HIPPA regulations apply to drum corps forums? :sshh:

Nick,

As the DCWorld reporter some of those nights, I wondered about the 4 BDs. We hope you are doing well. Follow doctors' orders and all should be fine.

Man, really sad to hear this! I marched in a bassline and I think bassline members have a really special connection with each other, I felt it like that. It's really sad to loose someone for the end of the season...

I wish Nick all the best, hope you'll be ok soon! And I really hope to see you on the field next season!