DCI ESPN2 September 5, 2006

Finally  

91 members have voted

1. 1. DCI Finals Broadcast is what for ESPN2?

• Excellent
    • Good
    • Poor
    • Bad
    • Pass

It wasn't always like that, you know.

To tell the truth, it was. It's just that not every PBS station utilized the breaks for fund-raising. I was marching in the 1975 DCI World Finals, the first year of the PBS broadcast. People I knew went to WTTW-Chicago's studios to man the phones for those calling in to make pledges. As more PBS stations found out they could use the periods between corps (this was before the behind-the-scenes features we've come to know) to raise money, they just went with the talk by Rondinaro and the guest announcers. But even with the banter, there were always very short periods where the PBS stations could ask for donations.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a drum corp purist, of course I would like to see one unedited show after the other. But I would presume that DCI's purpose for having a broadcast is to market the activity, not to give die-hard drum corps fans free videos of the top 5 or 6 corps. Like somebody said, that's what the DVDs are for. The biggest thing I miss about the PBS broadcast is that it was, sometimes, live.

On a sidenote...does anybody remember when they would actually do commentary ON TOP OF the corps performances??? I don't know how many years they did that, but I know they did in '82.

You know, not the commentary, but it would be cool to see them go analyze a certain performance and show why one corps was better than the other instead of just giving them the impression "they are all amazing, we just pick a winner because we have to, and the corps always finish in order of apperance anyway". I want to see more rehearsal footage so the mainstream understands the work dci takes, I don't know if they did enough of that last year. Not production work, but rehearsal work.

DCI gets 2 hours per year to help itself along, please make all of the time worth it.

..which will never happen, since nowadays, everyone watching it would record it with there dvd recorders, and DCI sales of finals dvd's would be virtually nonexistant...

I agree. I wish that DCI could show the top 6 uncut. Then market the DVDs as the top 12, (or 16?), keep up with the angles (as a benefit), and even show snippets of interest, drumfeatures (if any), great guard moves, horn solos, warmups if possible, the director saying at the beginning of each show what show is about, the vision, etc.

I think that DCI could be much more creative and make this a win-win situation.

^0^ ^0^ ^0^ B) ^0^ ^0^

Good 43.53% Greater than Excellent 40.00% b**bs

WordRider Heeaah!