Capital Regiment Website

Well my math is the same as yours except I dont use mythological examples of corps being on tour for 90 days. The drum corps season isnt even that long and a corps isnt on tour for every day of it. My experience was two tours totalling about 25-30 days on the road.

THAT WAS 30 YEARS AGO; FOR CRYING OUT LOUD!!!

The tours are different, and so are the prices, shows, demands, and expectations!!! :worthy:

(ooohhh, that felt good! ^0^ )

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was telling somebody about all their troubles and they asked if they had seen their show in Denton. The way I described it was by the frisbee toss! I loved it in Madison where the quad player had to keep on backing up when he caught it.

If anything, there is even more to admire if those kids pulled it all off in the face of the adversity being reported here. Bravo! :worthy:

You have OBVIOUSLY not been working around students; or know the type of schedules these corps are running these days. My statements stand. And your reply concerning the kitchens is nonsensical.

Why would you make such a statement not knowing me or my experiences? As a matter of fact I taught a corps as recently ago as three years, and I have marched in a Sr corps for the past three years. I have also (years ago) taught marching bands. Your different understanding of this issue doesnt make my mine nonsensical. Is this honestly how you carry on conversations with people?

So I guess its safe to assume that you are currently a teacher and are touring with a corps and are intimately involved with the economics of running a contemporary drum and bugle corps since my perspective cant possibily have any merit?

There must be a reason....

THATS your justification? :worthy:

I keep hearing that things were better once Fred arrived and I am sure having him there helped lighten the load on the director and tour managers, but no one has realized that things got better once there were more volunteers helping. Once the corps got to Texas, help was plentiful. The Texas parents provided wonderful meals and help servingand gofering. There was consistent help when dads pitched in during the week between San Antonio and Atlanta, when the Surratts arrived for the last two weeks. Parents helped out from Virginia and Ohio to compliment these volunteers. It is much easier for the tour managers to actually manage things when they aren't having to worry about cleaning dishes before starting the next meal. Yes, another plug for volunteers! Drum Corps has become such an expensive business and if we want to keep fees to the members affordable, corps can't afford to pay cooks to travel with them all summer. Parents and drum corps aficionados need to help out if we want this pasttime to continue.

Why would you make such a statement not knowing me or my experiences? As a matter of fact I taught a corps as recently ago as three years, and I have marched in a Sr corps for the past three years. I have also (years ago) taught marching bands. Your different understanding of this issue doesnt make my mine nonsensical. Is this honestly how you carry on conversations with people?

So I guess its safe to assume that you are currently a teacher and are touring with a corps and are intimately involved with the economics of running a contemporary drum and bugle corps since my perspective cant possibily have any merit?

THATS your justification? :worthy:

With respect, did you tour with the corps you taught? I'm from back in the day too, and touring is a whole different experience. We took our kids to MacDonalds before Canadian National finals in '84 and I spent the show watching one of my kids in the pit wondering if she was going to barf. Having toured the past 4 years as a staff member I thank any deity you care to mention for cook trucks, the folks that work in them and the food that comes off of them.

I can't imagine being at some of the shools we were at out in the boonies, loading the kids onto the busses at breakfast, lunch and dinner times and heading out to find the local restraunt row, giving them reasonable time to eat, rounding them up and bussing them back. Way too much time out of the practice schedule.

I marched senior too - whole different ball game there.

Cheers

Jim

Edited by kusankusho

Remember the really cool frisbee toss in the Capital Regiment show? Remember how the crowd loved it. Wasn't that cool?

I sure hope they are remembered as the show that did the great frisbee toss in 2006. I sure hope they are remembered as that "up and coming corps that put on the really fun show." I sure hope they are remembered as a frequent favorite of the newbies experienced drum corps fans brought along. I sure hope they are remembered for having really cool silks and marching a technically difficult show and having the cool joia tubes in the pit.

I know they'd like to be.

Absolutely I'd like to remember them for that show- I saw them in Decatur IN the night that first went in (I think) and was a pretty proud alumni that night. In fact, I'd call last year's show the best work that Capital Regiment has ever put on the field! :)

But that's not the point- the point is all of these questions that have been raised about the corps managements' ability to provide a safe and positive environment for the corps members, and that covers things like maintaining a good volunteer staff, seeing to the members' health, safety and nutritional needs, getting competent and reliable drivers, and for ####'s sake resolving all these bloody internal issues between the staff and the management that have lead to staff people leaving in a huff. If it's just a case of "the wrong people for the job", that's one thing, but if it's a case of severe personality clashes with the people in charge, then maybe they need to address the issue of how management relates to and communicates with the staff.

Bottom line, if these questions aren't addressed, then the corps may well be remembered as a corps that went under because they couldn't keep their house in order, which is something I certainly don't want to see.

...is it slander if its true? (im really asking not being sarcastic)

Since you asked, I thought that I would look it up. If anyone is thinking about getting back on topic, it might be useful to familiarize yourself with this information before posting.

From www.answers.com

Two torts that involve the communication of false information about a person, a group, or an entity such as a corporation. Libel is any defamation that can be seen, such as a writing, printing, effigy, movie, or statue. Slander is any defamation that is spoken and heard.

Collectively known as defamation, libel and slander are civil wrongs that harm a reputation; decrease respect, regard, or confidence; or induce disparaging, hostile, or disagreeable opinions or feelings against an individual or entity. The injury to good name or reputation is effected through written or spoken words or visual images. The laws governing these torts are identical.

To recover in a libel or slander suit, the plaintiff must show evidence of four elements: that the defendant conveyed a defamatory message; that the material was published, meaning that it was conveyed to someone other than the plaintiff; that the plaintiff could be identified as the person referred to in the defamatory material; and that the plaintiff suffered some injury to her reputation as a result of the communication.

To prove that the material was defamatory, the plaintiff must show that at least one other person who saw or heard it understood it as having defamatory meaning. It is necessary to show not that all who heard or read the statement understood it to be defamatory, only that one person other than the plaintiff did so. Therefore, even if the defendant contends that the communication was a joke, if one person other than the plaintiff took it seriously, the communication is considered defamatory.

Defamatory matter is published when it is communicated to someone other than the plaintiff. This can be done in several different ways. The defendant might loudly accuse the plaintiff of something in a public place where others are present, or make defamatory statements about the plaintiff in a newsletter or an on-line bulletin board. The defamation need not be printed or distributed. However, if the defendant does not intend it to be conveyed to anyone other than the plaintiff, and conveys it in a manner that ordinarily would prevent others from seeing or hearing it, the requirement of publication has not been satisfied even if a third party inadvertently overhears or witnesses the communication.

Liability for republication of a defamatory statement is the same as for original publication, provided the defendant had knowledge of the contents of the statement. Thus, newspapers, magazines, and broadcasters are liable for republication of a libel or slander because they have editorial control over their communications. On the other hand, bookstores, libraries, and other distributors of material are liable for republication only if they knew or had reason to know the statement was defamatory. Common carriers such as telephone companies are not liable for defamatory material they convey, even if they know it is defamatory, unless they know or have reason to know that the sender does not have aprivilege to communicate the material. Suppliers of communications equipment are never liable for defamatory material transmitted through the equipment they provide.

In general, there are four defenses to libel or slander: truth, consent, accident, and privilege. The fact that the allegedly defamatory communication is essentially true is usually an absolute defense; the defendant need not verify every detail of the communication, as long as its substance can be established. If the plaintiff consented to publication of the defamatory material, recovery is barred. Accidental publication of a defamatory statement does not constitute publication. Privilege confers immunity on a small number of defendants who are directly involved in the furtherance of the public's business—for example, attorneys, judges, jurors, and witnesses whose statements are protected onpublic policy grounds.

This thread has obviously taken us down a path of discovery and enlightenment that I could not have imagined when I first started the topic. My only desire was to shed light on a developing situation with CR, and regrettably it has taken on a life of it's own. I am sure that the authorities at DCI are aware of the misgivings that have taken place at CR, why else would they have asked Fred to join the corps after San Antonio. I am hopeful that someone will be held accountable to the parents, staff, and marching members, for the apparent mismanagement that took place this summer. They all deserve an explanation and an apology.

Please join me in demanding that DCI conduct a full review of Rick Bays, and the Board of Directors of Capital Regiment, for administrative practices, and financial stability.

I respectfully ask that this topic be locked from further comment.

Thanks