Capital Regiment Website

I honestly have to chuckle because in every way todays corps kids are being billed as the best and smartest ever, but not smart enough to know evidently whats smart to eat and whats not.

It's not about kids being any smarter and knowing what to eat. Corps today are pressured to provide a certain level of "convenience" or "luxury" to their members (and consequently the volunteers) if they want higher caliber talent to flock to their corps. Sure, 30 years ago, even 20 years ago, most corps didn't have dedicated food trailers. But now, if a corps wants to compete on the field and off, they have to keep up with the Jones. How would a member of a Division 1 corps feel if they were fed in the same manner we were fed 20-30 years ago, while they would witness other corps in their same division and competitive range feeding their members from nice rolling kitchens? It's a matter of pride.

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe for fast food, but you're saying a decent meal at a normal restaurant which on the extreme low end would probably be at least $5. Even at $15 a day for all 3 meals plus a snack (which again, $15 would be on the extreme low end) that would be about $1350 a member for 90 days of tour. When I marched, tour fees were $600.

How does your math work?

Well my math is the same as yours except I dont use mythological examples of corps being on tour for 90 days. The drum corps season isnt even that long and a corps isnt on tour for every day of it. My experience was two tours totalling about 25-30 days on the road.

It's not about kids being any smarter and knowing what to eat. Corps today are pressured to provide a certain level of "convenience" or "luxury" to their members (and consequently the volunteers) if they want higher caliber talent to flock to their corps. Sure, 30 years ago, even 20 years ago, most corps didn't have dedicated food trailers. But now, if a corps wants to compete on the field and off, they have to keep up with the Jones. How would a member of a Division 1 corps feel if they were fed in the same manner we were fed 20-30 years ago, while they would witness other corps in their same division and competitive range feeding their members from nice rolling kitchens? It's a matter of pride.

Its also fast becoming a matter of money.

It's also a benefit of tour. I loved that I didn't have to worry about what I was going to eat for the summer. I had enough to worry about with my show. Sometimes the attractiveness of drum corps is not just performing, it's the ability to get away from real life for a short period of time.

Good old days of eating? Again, I dont see how the human organism has changed so much that nutrition now must be strictly monitored. If anything there is a higher percentage of college kids in the activity now than when I marched, kids who I think can be counted on to be smart enough to eat more than Twizzlers and Good n Plenty.

Here's something that I find a little bit odd.

Nobody is saying that the human organism has changed.. but something HAS changed.

Our KNOWLEDGE and UNDERSTANDING of the nutritional needs of that same organism in different environments has changed. Science has brought us a lot of things since "the good old days" -- please don't try and claim that "we don't know more now than we ever did." -- that's a crock!

Atheletic science has progressed by leaps and bounds in the last 40 years.. we are benefitting from that now.

You survived your food choices as a kid.. are you at your peak desired physical fitness now? Do you think that some of the habits you developed as a young man have impacted that?

I know my habits did and while I'm not anywhere NEAR where I want to be, I make pretty darn good choices myself.. I would do BETTER, though, if somebody was planning and serving my meals for me and I could just concentrate on training.

You also still did not answer the other question. How does the corps eat when there's nothing around the rehearsal or show site?

By managing its rehearsal and logistical time wisely. In any case theres nothing in my view that prevents a corps from providing the occassional meal when situations like the one you pose arise.

What type of food is best for energy?

Carbohydrate (CHO) is the most efficient form of energy and all athletes are recommended to follow a high carbohydrate diet. Carbohydrate-rich foods include bread, crackers and bagels; pasta, noodles, rice and couscous; breakfast cereals; fruit and milk.

The longer you spend training the more carbohydrate you need.

Part correct.

The correct answer is complex carbohydrate. Takes longer to break down= sustained release of energy. Most listed above are simple carbs whcih break down quick. Most kids in corps are not elete athletes (good shape for the most part) and do not need to carb load.

The proper diet IMO would be one that's based around complex carbs, some protein. Simple carbs AFTER (and only after) a rehersal block. A good nutrient balance would be nice too. Require the members to take a multi vitamin.

Even at $15 a day for all 3 meals plus a snack (which again, $15 would be on the extreme low end) that would be about $1350 a member for 90 days of tour.

Fact: This summer's tour was 58 days long from the first show in the midwest through finals night.

One thing is illustrated perfectly within the pages of this thread...

People will exagerate to make their point seem more significant.

Edited by ssorrell

Fact: This summer's tour was 58 days long from the first show in the midwest through finals night.

Fine, use 58. I also counted the move in period. That's where 90 came from.

That's still $870. More than what my tour fees would have been.