Crowd Reactions

All 3 of those Corps in '71 ( Cadets, Madison, Cavies) had fan friendly, accessible music. That was the issue on this thread that I responded too. As for doing shows with" themes ", these 3 Corps were not the first Corps to do shows with " themes ", so I'm not sure what you are referring too here at all.

That is why Richard Blake wrote his editorial in DCN attacking them, even before they competed ...and it is why someone created the t-shirt. That's pretty well-known stuff.

Maybe it was the way the shows were put together...Cavies had a guy i a clown suit...Scouts had Bill Howard's 10-year old daughter as 'Alice' (gee, 35 years before The Cadets), and Garfield passed out a libretto describing their show (a decade before Regiment did the same).

IMO all corps have accessible music. You don't see much Babbit or Stockhausen or Schonberg or Cage on the field.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Respectfully disagree. Both the Hawthorne Cabs, and St. Joes of Batavia performed admirally and reasonably well as Reunion Corps at DCI. Their members age on the whole ( average age ) were much higher than that of both the the 27th and Madison Scouts Reunion Corps. If, as you say, the fans were cheering for " nostalgia ", and " novelty " and " age ", then one would have expected more enthusiasm for both the Cabs and St. Joes than the younger brethern in the 27th, and Madison that offered less " nostalgia " and " novelty " and " age ". But this was not the case. As entertaining as the Cabs and St. Joes's were, their younger brethern in the 27th and in Madison took it up a whole notch higher in musical entertainment value than both these older aged Corps( as well as the competing DCI Corps ). THAT'S why they were cheered, and why this notion that the audience wanted to give them a thunderous and sustained standing O mostly because they " were an older crowd ", is an wholly inaccurate read of the audience, in my view....... and nobody here is talking about " better". Nobody is under some false illusion that the 27th and Madison Corps were " better " than the DCI competing Corps. That would be a terrible disservice to these very talented kids performing for us in DCI who do a wonderful job and absolutely are more proficient. We are talking here about musical entertainment value..... a subjective term for sure.... but one that refers to the ability of a musician with their musical offerings to reach,.. to connect..., to the vast numbers of members in an audience with a varied level of musical tastes.

IMO you can't compare the Cabs and St Joe's to Madison and 2-7.

The Cabs alumni is 1) an ongoing propostion, not a one-shot deal...2) an alumni corps of a senior corps, not a junior corps.

St Joe's has not existed since before DCI, so there is less connection than exists for Madison...and even 2-7 who at least made it into the DCi era.

Nothing aqainst either...never saw St Joe's, but I have seen the Cabs alum a number of times and they are great. Just that I don't see any valid comparison to the 2-7 and Madison groups.

The Cabs alumni is 1) an ongoing propostion, not a one-shot deal...2) an alumni corps of a senior corps, not a junior corps.

St Joe's has not existed since before DCI, so there is less connection than exists for Madison...and even 2-7 who at least made it into the DCi era.

Nothing aqainst either...never saw St Joe's, but I have seen the Cabs alum a number of times and they are great. Just that I don't see any valid comparison to the 2-7 and Madison groups.

The illustration was to point out the crowd's response to these 4 Corps exhibitions at DCI, and to counter the claim from a poster above who wrote that the crowd responded due to an appreciation of the the fact that 27th and Madison were" an older crowd " performing. For the most part, most people do not give sustained and enthusiastic standing O's for nostalgia. Otherwise, the DCI crowd would go bonkers for the Boston Crusaders, Sr. Corps or the Kilties Sr. Corps in exhibition at DCI shows these days. (2 Corps with great traditions in both pre DCI days as well as DCI days ) They don't. They give them polite, appreciative applause. Crowds like their music, but realize their member numbers and talent level limitations right now. " The fact that the 27th and Madison Scouts Reunion Corps had the DCI crowd on their feet in spontaneous standing O halfway thru their performances had absolutely nothing to do with " age ". or " nostalgia "..... and had EVERYTHING to do with entertainment. Pure and simple. People who don't " get it ", are free to not quite " get it " regarding why the vast numbers of audiences went bonkers for the 27th and Madison Corps at DCI. But you are kidding yourselves if you are trying to convince yourselves that the crowd was responding to " age ", and not with the genuine joy of listening to fan friendly, accessible music played with melody, and played from the heart .... and played by performers where the only judges before them were the 20,000 or so " judges " in the audience.

Edited by X DM

But you are kidding yourselves if you are trying to convince yourselves that the crowd was responding to " age ", and not with the genuine joy of listening to fan friendly, accessible music played with melody, and played from the heart .... and played by performers where the only judges before them were the 20,000 or so " judges " in the audience.

I don't see it really as purely 'age'...I see it as the one-time-ness and the HUGE numbers...200 people on the field in a once-in-a-lifetime thing versus say, the Cabs alumns who are an ongoing, smaller, yet still wonderful group.

IMO it's the uniqueness and 'event' atmosphere that made them just SO huge.

I don't see it really as purely 'age'...I see it as the one-time-ness and the HUGE numbers...200 people on the field in a once-in-a-lifetime thing versus say, the Cabs alumns who are an ongoing, smaller, yet still wonderful group.

IMO it's the uniqueness and 'event' atmosphere that made them just SO huge.

We just disagree then on why the crowd came out of their seats midway thru the Madison and 27th Reunion performances. I was there in '94 at DCI. The crowd did not get on their feet when they saw 27th's " 200 people on the field " when they entered the field, nor when they were about to begin. As a matter of fact, the crowd was almost entirely in their seats and were curiously watching in those seats to see what would transpire. Some of the DCI fans in attendance knew of 27th. Some knew they would be good. Few knew they were about to electrify the crowd though, much like the Madison Reunion Corps did at DCI this year. But by the time the 27th Reunion Corps finished their rousing opening number of "Crown Imperial ", a song almost everyone is familiar with ( 27th or not ), the crowd was up and out of their seats in spontaneous applause. You think it was because of the size of the Corps....... the " HUGE numbers "........ an " event "... fine. But it wasn't. The reason the crowd got on their feet for a standing O in the middle of the performances and were enthusiastic was because of.... " sheer entertainment ". Mostly musical entertainment too, as Madison's show was somewhat limited in the marching aspect due to the size of the Corps and out of proper respect and deference to some of their marching members age and health considerations.

Edited by X DM

We just disagree then on why the crowd came out of their seats midway thru the Madison and 27th Reunion performances. I was there in '94 at DCI. The crowd did not get on their feet when they saw 27th's " 200 people on the field " when they entered the field, nor when they were about to begin. As a matter of fact, the crowd was almost entirely in their seats and were curiously watching in those seats to see what would transpire. Some of the DCI fans in attendance knew of 27th. Some knew they would be good. Few knew they were about to electrify the crowd though, much like the Madison Reunion Corps did at DCI this year. But by the time the 27th Reunion Corps finished their rousing opening number of "Crown Imperial ", a song almost everyone is familiar with ( 27th or not ), the crowd was up and out of their seats in spontaneous applause. You think it was because of the size of the Corps....... the " HUGE numbers "........ an " event "... fine. But it wasn't. The reason the crowd got on their feet for a standing O in the middle of the performances and were enthusiastic was because of.... " sheer entertainment ". Mostly musical entertainment too, as Madison's show was somewhat limited in the marching aspect due to the size of the Corps and out of proper respect and deference to some of their marching members age and health considerations.

Looks as if we'll never agree. :P

I'll juust go on being right and.... joke!!!! :)

Looks as if we'll never agree. :P

I'll juust go on being right and.... joke!!!! :)

Well, you could go on being" right "...... or you could start going left too....... or you could go left, right, left ,right, left, right and keep right on marching......( haha !... my bad Groucho Marx imitation. )

Edited by X DM

Whether or not the crowds were responding to age, nostalgia, size, special one-time status, etc., of SCV Reunion Corps, 27th Reunion Corps and the MSRP, the fact is the crowds did, indeed, respond...with wholehearted enthusiasm. That in itself is telling. It tells me that there are enough folks around who appreciate the kind of entertainment those groups offered.

...........and there for.

Being before DCI or Senior = UN WORTHY.

Usual DCI drivil. I'm right. I'm best. I know everything. Your wrong. So out of date. Everything I change is Good. Anything Not Band is Bad. I will let you know, what you need to know.

Any other Opinion need not respond.

How "evolved" and PC for todays "Brass Band Field Theater"