Entertainment?

I am baffled at times that many people say year in and out that drum corps is not entertaining. I am not slandering them, I simply want to know what we would all define "Entertainment," to be? To me exciting and entertained are two seperate ideas. So if someone says, well Corps A does not make me jump out of my seat but I enjoyed them, then wouldn't you say that you were entertained? And in the same light couldn't you also say that maybe that same corps just didn't excite you like Corps B might have? I am curious as to what you all think? I think what I would define as entertaining is any performance in which I enjoy the product. Does this always mean that I would meet it with a roaring ovation? No. Perfect example. I liked the Crossmen show this summer and found it to be quite entertaining, but at the end of the show I was not excited to the point of jumping off my seat and throwing babies. That's my take, give me yours.

Wes Perkins

Bk '97 '98

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

To each his own. What entertains me might not entertain you... and that's cool!

I think it all has to do with a persons individual taste. But there is something about a show that gets everyone in the stadium off their butts and on there feet. These are the electric moments that seem to be lacking in recent years. IMO, part of the reason for this has been the emphasis on visual presentation.

It seems there is less emphasis on musical productions and more emphasis on music that compliments the visual portion of the show. In the 80's and early 90's, the shows were created around the musical selections. Now, from what I can tell, it seems the shows are created based on a visual idea. Not saying any of this is bad.

As a fan, I would like to see more shows that entertain the audience rather than the judges. I think too much emphasis is being placed on winning and placement, and not enough is being done to factor in general effect and foster a true connection with the audience. If something isn't done to brdige this gap, I truely believe that DCI is going to have problems in the future and may find some units leaving (ala Star) to pursue other ventures. Just my two cents worth.

Edited by Newseditor44

I have found that most people who decry the entertainment of todays show do so because they only appreciate a very narrow type of show, and expect others to do the same. To these people shows like Madison 95 or Cadets 02 are really the only type of show that is worthy of being called "drum corps". Those kinds of shows tap into certain basic emotions like happiness and excitement. As good as those kinds of shows are, they only really evoke a small part of the emotional/psychological spectrum. Shows that try to evoke sadness or fear are lost on them. And of course any show that tries to get the brain into the mix instead of just the heart is complete nonsense to these people. Only a loud raucous jam-fest that makes people smile and clap while whistling a simple but memorable melody is entertaining. A show that makes a person think is not.

Entertainment is a very very broad concept that involves countless emotions and reactions from both the "heart" as well as the brain. And those that say "modern drum corps isn't entertaining" simply refuse to accept this.

Edited by Morgoth Bauglir

Actually...in print, it's libel

Both posts are quite interesting, I think I can see validity in both arguements, but I still have to ask how would a corps be trying to please a judge? Wouldn't writing a show on the premise of placement and judging do just the opposite? i think it would be hard to write a universal show that pleases all of those men and women on the panels.

On the other end, it is good to have those fans that love to go to drum corps shows to have an "electric moment," because i'd venture to say that all of us got started into this activity by watching something that gave us that response. I don't believe however that this is happening less these days as I know there were numerous shows that had me standing and cheering this summer before the show was done. (SCV, Cavies, Phantom, BD)

Good thoughts.

Wes P.

I am baffled at times that many people say year in and out that drum corps is not entertaining. I am not slandering them, I simply want to know what we would all define "Entertainment," to be? To me exciting and entertained are two seperate ideas. So if someone says, well Corps A does not make me jump out of my seat but I enjoyed them, then wouldn't you say that you were entertained? And in the same light couldn't you also say that maybe that same corps just didn't excite you like Corps B might have? I am curious as to what you all think? I think what I would define as entertaining is any performance in which I enjoy the product. Does this always mean that I would meet it with a roaring ovation? No. Perfect example. I liked the Crossmen show this summer and found it to be quite entertaining, but at the end of the show I was not excited to the point of jumping off my seat and throwing babies. That's my take, give me yours.

Wes Perkins

Bk '97 '98

yeah...I'm with you. I liked a little bit of everyones show I saw this year. Of course, I liked a LOT of SOME corps I saw, but I can't say there wasn't ONE that I didn't

at least find something to like in each show. A pleasant surprise for me was Jubal... who I kind of had to do a double take at. Very entertaining...

I guess I'm a softy... but I appreciate and like what all the corps were doing out there...even through the looking glass door... and into the primal forces ... and that devil... and the other mobster devil... and that crazy assembly line... and connex (probly favoritist of all...) ...and CC from SC ... and it was all cool to me.

I have found that most people who decry the entertainment of todays show do so because they only appreciate a very narrow type of show, and expect others to do the same. To these people shows like Madison 95 or Cadets 02 are really the only type of show that is worthy of being called "drum corps". Those kinds of shows tap into certain basic emotions like happiness and excitement. As good as those kinds of shows are, they only really evoke a small part of the emotional/psychological spectrum. Shows that try to evoke sadness or fear are lost on them. And of course any show that tries to get the brain into the mix instead of just the heart is complete nonsense to these people.

Entertainment is a very very broad concept that involves countless emotions and reactons from both the "heart" as well as the brain. And those that say "modern drum corps isn't entertaining" simply refuse to accept this.

Respectfully I see your point, but if a corps doesn't have some "wow" moments, doesn't touch me with their music, doesn't tap into one of those basic emotions like happiness and excitement, I am headed to the restroom or to get a hot dog.

Just because the corps is on the field and playing something that resembles music doesn't mean I am going to be entertained.

I, like many others in this world, have too many other things in life that can help me tap into anger, frustration, rage, pain, etc etc... The last thing I want to do is put down $20 to go watch a drum corps show that points me towards these feelings. Not saying that others aren't down with that, and if that is the case, more power to you. But I would much rather be excited by a show such as Madison 95 or Cadets 02, than have to rack my brain trying to figure out what the corps was trying to convey in its 12 minute epitaph.

Just play clean and loud, give me cool drill, and make feel good!

yeah...I'm with you. I liked a little bit of everyones show I saw this year. Of course, I liked a LOT of SOME corps I saw, but I can't say there wasn't ONE that I didn't

at least find something to like in each show. A pleasant surprise for me was Jubal... who I kind of had to do a double take at. Very entertaining...

I guess I'm a softy... but I appreciate and like what all the corps were doing out there...even through the looking glass door... and into the primal forces ... and that devil... and the other mobster devil... and that crazy assembly line... and connex (probly favoritist of all...) ...and CC from SC ... and it was all cool to me.

I's with you Geno, I ssaw a little bit of something from everyone this past year that I thought was very tasty. But there were only a few corps that had me wanting more at the end of the night. There really wasn't anything bad this yeat at all

To each his own. What entertains me might not entertain you... and that's cool!

I think it all has to do with a persons individual taste. But there is something about a show that gets everyone in the stadium off their butts and on there feet. These are the electric moments that seem to be lacking in recent years. IMO, part of the reason for this has been the emphasis on visual presentation.

It seems there is less emphasis on musical productions and more emphasis on music that compliments the visual portion of the show. In the 80's and early 90's, the shows were created around the musical selections. Now, from what I can tell, it seems the shows are created based on a visual idea. Not saying any of this is bad.

Just because the corps is on the field and playing something that resembles music doesn't mean I am going to be entertained.

I, like many others in this world, have too many other things in life that can help me tap into anger, frustration, rage, pain, etc etc... The last thing I want to do is put down $20 to go watch a drum corps show that points me towards these feelings. Not saying that others aren't down with that, and if that is the case, more power to you. But I would much rather be excited by a show such as Madison 95 or Cadets 02, than have to rack my brain trying to figure out what the corps was trying to convey in its 12 minute epitaph.

Just play clean and loud, give me cool drill, and make feel good!

I think Newseditor brings up some good points. I think we can all agree that different people are entertained by different kinds of shows. Some like shows that tell touching stories and create tender moments. Others tend to enjoy more of the in your face, blow me off the bleachers kind of show.

I believe there is still a large number of drum corps fans that wish there were more Madison '95, Cadets 02 type shows. It doesn't mean they all necessarily feel the tender/esoteric shows do not have a place in drum corps. Just that they would like to see more fastpaced, in your face, masculine, hard driving, performances. I admit that I am one of them. Shows like SCV '04 are great, but also keep those Cavies '06, Cadets Bugle Boy kind of stuff and pre 2003 Madison shows coming. Just my opinion.

I think Newseditor brings up some good points. I think we can all agree that different people are entertained by different kinds of shows. Some like shows that tell touching stories and create tender moments. Others tend to enjoy more of the in your face, blow me off the bleachers kind of show.

I believe there is still a large number of drum corps fans that wish there were more Madison '95, Cadets 02 type shows. It doesn't mean they all necessarily feel the tender/esoteric shows do not have a place in drum corps. Just that they would like to see more fastpaced, in your face, masculine, hard driving, performances. I admit that I am one of them. Shows like SCV '04 are great, but also keep those Cavies '06, Cadets Bugle Boy kind of stuff and pre 2003 Madison shows coming. Just my opinion.

I agree. Personally, I can't stand certain types of shows, but I am never going to say that I want them gone. I don't like Phantom 04-06 for instance. But I know a great many do, and that is enough for me to be glad they did those shows. I just wish others would understand that there are people out there who also happen to like Cavaliers 00-06. And that should be enough for them to stop with the "Cavaliers don't play music" nonsense.