What Should Happen to Capital Regiment?

Like Capital Regiment 2006 member Mark said in another thread, my daughter’s experience this summer in Capital Regiment was also okay and on a continuum, more on the good side than the bad side. It was okay because so many stepped up, including DCI, to help insure that the members had a good experience and finished the season. It was also okay because this fine group of young adults stuck with each other to make it work. They are to be congratulated. They demonstrated lots of character and produced a fine product. That is what drum is all about: members stepping things up in order to be their best and others stepping up for the benefit those members.

Is Capital Regiment operated like it should be operated? No. In any other drum and bugle corps if an organization is managed like this one is managed, the director would be released. This is not to say that the director hasn’t worked extremely hard over the years including this past summer and for this I am truly grateful, but it is time for a change.

The current leadership model is the founder/director running the organization without the oversight of a board of directors. Under this model, I do not believe the corps will ever take to the field again. I do believe that with a new leadership structure which includes a board of directors and a visionary director, that the corps could indeed return to the field stronger than ever because I believe so many who have been part of the Capital Regiment family would gladly unite and be part of the effort.

Here’s hoping that changes occr and Capital Regiment doesn’t fade away.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The current leadership model is the founder/director running the organization without the oversight of a board of directors.

Many nonprofits go through a stage where "founder-itis" sets in, and the org has outgrown the capacity or vision of the founder. But this stage usually occurs when the founder has, in the best interest of the company, put together a Board of directors specifically to help him or her grow the company. A talented Board will eventually have a handle on their responsibiity to the community to manage the organization effectively, and if the founder is an impediment, he'll be removed.

But if a founder has chosen to go for a 'weak board' model (or a rubber stamp board, as appears to be the case with CR), there's no one to remove him, so there's not much to be done except choose not to support that org. If my kid were looking to march next year, I wouldn't let them go to a corps with a reputation for incompetence or indifference toward safety and health issues on tour. There are other options of corps who DO know how to do it correctly.

Edited by mobrien

There is always two ways to look at everything. Is the glass half empty or half full? I agree that public airing of information is vital to keep things in perspective. I also believe that these should be short, not multiples by the same people, and strickly fact based and not second hand information like he said or she said.

When the dust has settled from all this, and we look back on all of this, nothing was accomplished at all. I noticed that all the negative posts started when the season was just getting started and all the way up until now. I feel bad for the members who were the ones that were out there giving up their souls for their corp and having to have all this is the back ground. Members, I SALUTE YOU.............BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM...........oh well, my younger AC/DC days had to come through.

While this year was a rough year as far as things going wrong, I know my son, like Brians daughter, had a ok year. Was there some trying times, absolutely. Was there some good times, absolutely. Could things have been done different, absolutely. Were some things done right, absolutely. Did my son learn from this year, absolutely. Is he proud to have marched Capital Regiment this year, absolutely.

I see a lot of posts about DCI stepping in and taking control of Capital Regiment. Is this fact based? I havent seen Fred or DCI say that they sent in Fred due to lack of directorship at Capital Regiment. Of course, then again, its only been two weeks since the end of tour and there is still a lot of post tour things dying down. After season is the time to revamp, regroup and take care of business that should be. I too would like to see an official statement on the Fred issue. I believe its going to be a completely different out take than what was reported by people that werent even at the meeting when it was decided that Fred would travel with Capital Regiment the later half of the season. Could it be that help was asked for and DCI helped out by request? This would have been a responsible thing to do especially with all the things going on at once with the tour. Just thinking out loud here.

I agree with you Brian, there will be a lot of alums, volunteers helping out to make this a great Corp. After all, only four years as DIV 1 and they have come a long way. They arent a 25 year Corp and are still learning the ropes. Could things be better, absolutely.

So through all the dust, wind, rumors, truthful posts, exagerated posts, lets all get back to backing our Corps, taking care of who needs help and assistance and using the proper methods to solve truly bad situations and not bring shadows on the MEMBERS that have given their blood during the summers for their corp.

HOLD YOUR HEAD UP HIGH CAPITAL REGIMENT MEMBERS......look what you have accomplished in the past four years.....weather you are a 1 year or a 4 year vet. all of you have made each year special and can be proud that you were part of a rapid growing organization.

As far as the volunteers, I get the feeling from all the posts that there were only 3 people there that made the season for Capital Regiment. I know this not to be true. There was a bunch of help and support from parents, all the way from TX, to GA, to SC, NC, OH, PA, VA, there were parents that took off of work after already being with the corp during their vacation, tks Rusty and Rhonda. And Carolyn coming in to help out which was unplanned but adjusted to. There was the Palmers that donated food in TX for the Corp. I have to say also that there were several TX families chipping in. There were so many more also and for all you did THANKKKKKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU. No Corp can survive without the volunteers. And there was also Jonathan doing hospital runs, propane runs, extra trips to pick up equipment, and anything else he was asked to do, thanks. I would hate for people to think there was only 3 people involved in the season.

Were there problems, absolutely. Lets get back to business and get ready for CA in 2007.

Scot.

....or Pat Seidling.

:rolleyes: x infinity

I think DCI should not allow them to tour next summer under their current umbrella. If they are going to push a group like the Troopers out and make them get their "act together" then this same process should be used with Capital Regiment.

I also think that these wonderful members should go out and seek a new corps that will treat them well both on and off the field. I understand loyalty, but what happened to this corps makes me sick.