Well, I march a few parades with sighted help, but I don't carry my own instruments since I can't see where to go.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, when I march I don't feel like an athlete, I feel like a musician and artist.

for me, I feel like all three. :) I find that to be the lovely thing about marching.

No, when I march I don't feel like an athlete, I feel like a musician and artist.

And you march when, Miss Pit Person? :P

Wow, cruel.

Show me an offensive lineman that can do 170 BPM's for 11 minutes and play an instument at the same time. I DON'T THINK SO !!!!!!!!

or a sumo wrestler.

If I could buy my marching shoes, my horn, or shako at a sporting goods store I'd consider it a sport.

otherwise....NO.

How about this: What sport includes musicianship?

is BLAST a sport?

Marching Band?

Does it merely require competition and physical demand to be a sport?

:feednotroll:

Ridiculous....I doubt you could back up your arguement

Drum corps and marching band are peforming arts. Plus why are we having this debate???

Edited by gbell211

THANK THE LORD! Someone has some sense on this board.

There was a debate on this topic on DCP back in October. A poll was taken and 71% thought drum corps is a sport. I was in the minority and still am.

Drum corps is not a sport. It is athletic, and it's competitive, but the competition is based too heavily on the subjective opinions of judges. To me, a sport has a clear-cut objective winner. Nobody said that the Dallas Mavericks should have won the NBA championship this year because they were better than the Miami Heat. Well, maybe they should have been able to, but they DIDN'T, and nobody's arguing against that. People debate on who should have won DCI, or who should have finished 8th, or 12th, etc. every year!! It's because the competition is based so heavily on subjective opinions.

When I marched, did I FEEL like I was on a sports team, and that I was an athlete? Absolutely I did. And I'm sure people marching today feel the same way. They "get up" for performances the same way athletes do for games. They wear a uniform. They represent a state or a city (or not, in the case of 2 east coast corps). They have to take extremely good care of themselves physically. They get up every day and try to make themselves the best they possibly can be, both as individuals and as a group. But they're not participating in a sport, despite the atheticism required and the competition involved.

But it's no big deal if drum corps isn't a sport. I don't think cheerleading or marching band is a sport either. Or poker, or spelling bee, or ballroom dancing, or ice dancing.

I'm also in the minority on this one. You can probably by my posts...LOL. Also, you can argue that cheerleading is not a sport because it's primary purpose is not competition. Although, it's governed by a set of rules, requires you to be very athletic, and has changed over the years. It's not what it used to be. I don't think billiards, darts, poker, or spelling bees sports. Fishing?!? I can't see how that can be a sport.

Edited by gbell211