Senior Year of High School Marching Corps?

When you think about it, it does seem like graduation ceremonies really are more for the moms and dads than for the students.

Yeah, that's probably why I'll end up going to mine. My sister dropped out of high school her senior year, and I'm the only kid whom they can watch get a diploma.

I would want to be at corps, but after all my parents have done for me(and after all they pay so I can march), I guess I need to go to graduation.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I drove home from Spring Training to attend my graduation, spent the night in my bed, and drove back the next morning. Missing graduation is unforgivable. Drumcorps is forever, but graduation is ONCE in a lifetime.

Don't miss it when you really don't have to....just ask the corps admin to give you a few days off and I'm SURE they will accomodate you...if not, don't march that corps!

Missing graduation is unforgivable. Drumcorps is forever, but graduation is ONCE in a lifetime.

College graduation, maybe ... but high school graduation is just a waste of a day. I wish I'd skipped mind and done something worthwhile. No way I'd have wanted to miss a corps rehearsal for it.

I drove home from Spring Training to attend my graduation, spent the night in my bed, and drove back the next morning. Missing graduation is unforgivable. Drumcorps is forever, but graduation is ONCE in a lifetime.

Don't miss it when you really don't have to....just ask the corps admin to give you a few days off and I'm SURE they will accomodate you...if not, don't march that corps!

I agree. Not only would I not have missed my own (though I marched 2 years after I graduated HS) but if I had (or have at some point) children who march corps I would not allow them to miss their graduation either.

Yeah, it's one day, it's semi-boring etc. But it's (like you said) something you get to do ONE time ONLY. Besides, after our graduation was the project graduation party where they give away tons of cash and tons of other really cool prizes like cars etc. :)

Again, it's not something I'd have missed, or something I'd let children of my own miss.

Hey,

So guys, I really want to march with the cadets next year...

The only problem is that its my senior year of high school and I don't know if the scheduling conflicts would hamper my ability to take part in it. I would probably miss most of spring training.

Anyone have any ideas/any incite into what I should do?

Why don't you just email Hop and ask him what the Cadets policy is on attending your graduation if it conflicts with spring training? Then discuss his answer with your folks (who btw, might not be willing to negotiate with you on missing graduation).

IMO, graduations are generally boring. But they are a rite of passage and if you attend, it's more of a thank you to the people who have supported you throughout your education, not for yourself.

Edited by kac

College graduation, maybe ... but high school graduation is just a waste of a day. I wish I'd skipped mind and done something worthwhile. No way I'd have wanted to miss a corps rehearsal for it.

I agree. I would have not missed a rehearsal for graduation. It was pointless.

IMO, graduations are generally boring. But they are a rite of passage and if you attend, it's more of a thank you to the people who have supported you throughout your education, not for yourself.

I agree there. I missed my college graduation because of an appendectomy and I still got my sheepskin. It's nothing but a formality, unless your parents are making a big deal about it.