Big Sounds In Motion

After checking the weather, and seeing scattered rain forecast for the Northeast, my 12 year old daughter and I opted for the closer PA show over the farther drive to CT.

We headed down to Buc field, just outside the Reading airport for practice, getting there about 3:00 as they were setting up for ensemble blocks. The Bucs have a nice set up, level field, with a deck like structure for the staff, that is built up into the hill into a wooded area on the front sideline. They have lights and the remote location can allow for evening practices without disturbing any locals. We set up our folding chairs a little elevated in front of the podium, below the deck. It was overcast and cool, a drizzle falling here and there.

They started by working Bolero, their opener, starting at a part where the horn line is in 2 blocks of files crossing into each other across the 50. I believe it was Lee Umberger, program coordinator and brass arranger on the mic, running the practice, and he set the tone for the rehearsal after the very first “assignment”, blasting the corps for not performing the first set at the standard he thought possible. He was pretty harsh in reminding them that they had worked the section last week, and expected them to not forget the progress they had made. They worked very quickly, concentrating mostly on the musical performance rather than the visual. He was on the percussion the whole afternoon, at one point screaming at them that they were better in Wildwood, (early June), and making the battery run laps at another point. They rarely allowed more than 10-15 seconds for the “field” staff to work between sets, and I heard comments more than once that the 2 hours they had allowed for ensemble was not enough, and they would do 4 tomorrow. They spent a lot of time working tempo, with Dr. beat either playing on the field, or in the DM’s ear, and discussing where various sections got their tempos, either from the dutters, or the DM, or those in front or behind them. They spent time on every section of the show. The horn line seemed to adapt to the requests of the staff when performance was requested. The guard is very talented, and seemed clean almost every set. The run through was solid; several of the tempo things they had worked on were evident.

We drove the 20 minutes to Exeter High School, stopping for some fast food to go on the way, and parked on a street just outside the school, opting out of the 2.00 preferred parking that wasn’t really any closer to the field. The reserved seats, (between the 45’s), were sold out early in the week. The $14 GA got you anything outside those, and we got 2 seats, just about the rt 40, 15 or so rows up. The metal bleachers were only about 25 rows high, on concrete. The stadium seemed very new, a nice AT surface with great lighting. The rain was holding off, but it was cool, a good breeze blowing from the far back left end zone to the rf sideline. The crowd was about 1500.

The 190-member Exeter High Eagle marching band started things off with an exhibition of their 2006 I Spy show. They were OK considering how early the season is for them.

The White Sabers were the first to compete. This small corps from NY had some MM’s that looked to be under 14 years old. Not much good I can say about them I’m afraid, so I won’t say anything. :sshh:

The Rochester Crusaders were next. They open with Firebird, then do a Doors tune, then Zeppelins’ Stairway to Heaven, then Alice Coopers’ Schools Out. The small horn line, 24?, struggled with the book, and was almost outnumbered by the guard, the strength of this corps. They wheel out big murals, with pictures representing the 4 tunes, and arrange them along the back sideline. During the opener, the wind grabbed the Doors one, and blew it across the 50 into the middle of the field on the right 35, almost causing a drill disaster for the marchers, and staff had to run out and push it back into its place. This is one of several corps battling it out for the last 2 spots for Finals, and they will most likely come up short at home next weekend. I wondered how Statesman were able to lay claim to being the “hosts” for DCA finals in their pre-show announcements? Maybe an administration thing?

Carolina Gold had driven 7+ hours to be at this show, and they were next with their Tower of Power show. Some very talented sop players, with some screaming solo work and notable nice work throughout the show. This was the first brass line of the night that seemed to be able to handle the book. The announcer, (who’s name I can’t recall), who does most of the shows in the NE, including DCI East, slipped a little when reading their pre-show profile, calling them Carolina Crown in one spot, but not many around me seemed to notice. They finished the show with some power, very loud! I would think they have the upper hand at repeating as a top 10 next weekend.

Brigs followed a 15 minute intermission, with their Rouge et Noir show. I have a lot of personal connections to this corps. Both my father and father in law are alums, I marched in a Rick Morey visual program, and a friend I marched with in the late 70’s is marching this year, and he has a nice bari solo. It was amazing to see him on the field considering a few short years ago he needed a cane just to help him walk after hip problems. Awesome job Beggar! They wheel out 8 sets of stands that they put down, and the brass players carry out big white frames that they stand up around the perimeter of the field. The frames take on the look of windows with red curtains blowing in the wind. The brass performance was the cleanest of the night so far, and the guard and drum line were solid as well. They visual was fairly demanding and they marched it with good control. The only thing lacking was a smaller number of performers than in recent years. A good shot at top 8. The crowd was appreciative, but no standing O, and the brass players missed the chance to troop the stands, as they had to carry the big white frames off the field instead.

The last 2 corps differ in style so greatly it reminded me of watching the Bridgemen, then SCV.

Statesman are the epitome of showmanship and glitz with their Ray Charles tribute show, Catchin Some Rays. They lay out big piano keyboard mats along the front sideline, and have a small stage covered in sparkles with a big simulated piano that the “professional” soloists stand on for the show. The pit is actually kept on the field about 10 steps from the front sideline on the left 40. Behind the keyboard mats on the front sideline are 2 foot high a-frames, that start covered with black, and are uncovered from left to right showing various years that represent the music being played. The stage is pushed from left to right across the field, stopping at the various years. After finishing their warm up, and setting up, it was announced that there would be a delay as medical attention was given to an audience member. The EMT staff brought a stretcher and oxygen to an elderly lady just 3 rows below us to our left, and she seemed to be conscious as they took here out. The corps warmed up again and reset the opener. When asked if the corps was ready, David Bruni turned and said coolly, “we’re ready”. They open with the Contras coming forward onto the piano mats, the soloists starting to wail, then the corps turning for a LOUD opening hit. I have never been much for soloists who don’t ever march in the show, but Joey Pero and Ritchie Price have some serious chops, and earn their pay with their work in this show. The visual and theme around 1967 simulate the black vs. white conflict, ending with some patriotic unity. There is some voice use throughout the show, and the horn line wears Ray sunglasses for most of it. The guard work throughout the whole show is well performed, and the battery is very solid and seemed very clean, but it is the wall of sound from the brass that carries this corps. When the whole line comes forward of the front sideline onto the piano mats for the ending of the show and does Georgia, the partisan Buc crowd went surprisingly wild. The corps has so much fun with the show that the fans feed off it. Trooping the stands the corps waves and points into the crowd, the horn line chanting and whooping it up as they go, and the snares turn to face the crowd and crab walk playing some nasty licks as Bruni points and waves in front of them. They will most certainly be the life of the party in their hometown next weekend, and are making a move on the top spot.

The Bucs took the field, lead by a full Honor Guard, and with no props, stands or elaborate gadgets, just classic drum corps precision and beauty. DM Josh Decker does a great job of matching his conducting skills with the right amount of showmanship, and earned himself the DM caption for the night. The overall performance was very solid. The classical music selections appealed to me more than any other DCA book I have heard this year. The tempo issues they had worked on seemed better, but still some room to improve for next week. A few brass performance issues, particularly when smaller sections are featured, and very exposed. The visual performance was clean from our lower seats, and the guard was solid as they were all practice, featured in several spots of the show. The battery was the cleanest of the night, coming from a horn guy’s point of view. The brass still had some endurance issues with the difficult music and visual demands at the end of the show. Not one wave to the cheering home folks as they trooped the stands stoically, with the exception of some showmanship by DM Josh. If they clean up the little things they have to work on, I believe they will have back-to-back DCA Championships come next Monday.

We opted to leave before the Bucs alumni corps and retreat, as it meant the difference between getting home at Midnight vs. 1:15 by beating the traffic. I was proud of my 12 year old when she said that she thought the Statesman were fun, but that the Bucs were the best Drum Corps of the night. She then said, “You know Daddy, if you wanted to, we could march together in a Senior Corps next year, instead of just me doing a junior corps.” HMMMMM….she definitely knows the way to her old man’s heart. :)

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for taking the time, and having the nerve, for a plain-spoken review.

Yes, that was a really helpful review and balanced. :)

Actually, that was Rich Hammond, percussion caption head/arranger, running our rehearsal. :)

Thanks for the review - and the quote by your daughter is awesome.

Actually, that was Rich Hammond, percussion caption head/arranger, running our rehearsal. :)

Thanks for the review - and the quote by your daughter is awesome.

Thanks for straightening me out Jami...that explains his constant demand of the percussion section. Good luck next week end!

Thanks for the review, we'll do everything we can to prove you wrong this coming weekend.

Here's hopin you do!

Your snare line rocks!

Good luck to you and have a blast next weekend!

hahahahaha, thanks man!

thanks for taking the time, and having the nerve, for a plain-spoken review.

Yes,,very refreshing! :) :) :)

One thing, retreat seemed way way to long, plus not all the corps could fit in the gate so we went one by one! :( And i was terribly sick, and almost passed out during retreat, so if you were looking at our snare line, saw a kid with his head down, rocking back and forth, it was me, I was being disrespectful at all, just to let you guys know! Now to go lay down after long long weekend.