LUCKY 13?

Hey Stef, get your glasses checked girl and you'll see that Dutch Boy had the highest score with an 86.4. didn't you guys have an 85.6 ??? :worthy:

My glasses are fine, I was talking about as far as the corps mentioned in this thread... :P

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Also, in 1980 Troopers were actually 13th before a 1.3 penalty (either flag drops or late to the line) put them behind Blue Star.

And THAT situation would be a topic in itself.... :sshh:

Actually, Troopers only had a .7 penalty in Prelims in 1980. Absent penalties, Troopers would have moved up a place to 13th, but since penalities occurred and were assessed, they finished where they finished. Changing placements due to penalties is nothing new.

Then there is Jersey Surf, who intentionally committed a 2.0 penalty to win the crowd in 04 that took them from 7th to 10th in Div II/III Grand Finals. Just gotta respect that - it was a killer ending. :worthy:

No??? :worthy: I have a copy of every show that year we were in along with scores. Would you like to see some proof that we were in the thick of things when it came to being in the top 8??? :sshh:

I hate talking about this year! It really does leave a bad taste in my mouth! ^0^

I believe you were 2/10s behind North Star just 3 days before prelims and I believe you beat Cavies by 5 points at the same show in 1979. I know you beat us many times in 1979............there's more specific data, I'm just throwing this out there!

Girlfriend, don't get worked up. I have no doubt that if George B. came there to speak to the whole corps for that 1 and only "exhibition" of the 13th place corps, there had to be something to it.

Since you told me back in 2000 that he came there, I'm just thinking, because he was one of the founders of DCI, maybe it was almost like he may have felt responsible. As far as I know he never went and spoke to a corps for a RA RA session, there was usually a reason or lesson involved.

And who else came? Was it G. Royer? (sp) I don't believe all of DCI took it lightly!

2. 1982, Suncoast Sound, 81.10

This was a modulated, made-for-finals show and performance, that began with the same song that the twelfth place Spirit of Atlanta used: "You Are My Sunshine." But when that fledging hornline, destined to be one of the activity's best, signed the show with "Greatest Love of All," there were few folks in the preliminary competition stands who didn't believe this corps would rocket through the ranks!

Thanks for your memories of '82 Suncoast. I take it you actually witnessed our prelim performance so your kind remembrance is much appreciated.

It really is a shame that corps who finish just outside the top 12 tend to be forgotten. I have a VHS copy of Suncoast and Spirit of Atlanta's '82 prelims performances that I finally converted to DVD. I'm still trying to find a copy of '82 Cavies prelim performance. I even put Paul Milano on the case and he came up empty handed. (something to the effect that they've all been destroyed :blink: )

I'm a bit challenged computer wise but when I figure out how to upload to "you tube" I'd like to give people who never got a chance to see us, or weren't born yet, B) a taste of the show that over the course of the summer of '82, finally got the drum corps establishment to sit up and take notice of what was yet to come.

Thanks for your memories of '82 Suncoast. I take it you actually witnessed our prelim performance so your kind remembrance is much appreciated.

It really is a shame that corps who finish just outside the top 12 tend to be forgotten. I have a VHS copy of Suncoast and Spirit of Atlanta's '82 prelims performances that I finally converted to DVD. I'm still trying to find a copy of '82 Cavies prelim performance. I even put Paul Milano on the case and he came up empty handed. (something to the effect that they've all been destroyed :blink: )

I'm a bit challenged computer wise but when I figure out how to upload to "you tube" I'd like to give people who never got a chance to see us, or weren't born yet, B) a taste of the show that over the course of the summer of '82, finally got the drum corps establishment to sit up and take notice of what was yet to come.

1982 Suncoast Sound, not only one the best 13th place corps but best all time corps !! I remember seeing that show alot that year, including Allentown, and Montreal. It was rather bold at the time to rotate the corps in the "exit" like you guys did in "Greatest love of all" So many gasps from the crowd. I still picture the seven-man rifle line in my head and such awesome brass sound.

We thought for sure that you guys squeeked into finals that day but it wasnt meant to be.

I also have Suncoast on dvd, converted from vhs, as well as Spirits prelim performance (along with Knights, Troopers, Allaince, North star, Defenders, Mb3) But I was never able to get a copy of Cavies terrible performance...and for those that didnt see it, it really was noticeably "bad" as compared to the day after....Wonder why .

~G~

~G~

In 1977, the Anaheim Kingsmen were done in by one particular field judge who had a vendetta against our director at the time. Maybe someone knows how to access the M&M scores from prelims that year. It should show the discrepancies between what he gave us vs. the others. Heck, we even beat SCV in drums and still didn't make finals that year.

It sucked.

Talk about sucked....the Garfield 72 show would have been 10th w/o close to two points in penalties...we missed finals even with them by 0.05....now THAT is sucky! :P