DCI demands!

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And thus split the 4,190 paid? Come on... <**>

It's not such a bad idea. If there are 8 or 10 corps that can't make it to one side of the country or the other when finals is not centrally located, why not have a "DCI Pity Party" competition for those corps? It isn't like the corps or the fans that would attend would be at DCI anyway.

EDIT - well, thinking again, a lot of the kids in the corps that would not be attending might want to go to Pasadena as spectators.... hmmmm - think on......

Edited by kusankusho

I want to preface this post by saying that this is my personal opinion and does not reflect the opinion of any other individual or organization. Any responses, rebuffs or retaliations should be directed at me and not the group I am involved with.

I have just been informed that DCI will require corps to commit to Championship week for 2007 in Pasadena by Sept. 30. Let me take a minute to compose myself.

As it stands, DCI has no information about tour shows, no date or location for any focus shows and no time or location for II/III performances for finals week. I'm sure there are several corps who will be going no matter what. For those corps who walk the budget tightrope, the 2007 tour could break them. Yes, I can hear you now, "Just take a year off." Let me take another minute to compose myself.

Much has been made recently about the responsibilities of each corps and the responsibility of DCI. As a person who IS responsible for the well-being of a corps and ALL the people involved, I need as much information as possible to make those decisions.

How can DCI expect this kind of blind committment to finals week if corps have no idea where it's going to be, where they are going to have to travel and what shows they will be required and/or permitted to perform in. I cannot set a budget for food or transportation if I don't know where I'm going. I cannot coordinate volunteers until I can tell them where and when we are traveling.

DCI needs to commit to giving corps a reasonable amount of information before asking them to commit to a trip to ????????

As I reread this post before I sent it off, I thought of the West Coast Corps who have probably making this argument for years. I wish to extend this call to committment to all future seasons.

Rick Melcher

Dad, Cook, Driver, Bingo Worker, Concession Stand Worker, First Aid Giver, Navigator, Recruiter, Host Parent, Board of Directors

DCI has been planning on CA for quite some time and it's been announced for over a year. Your corps usually, almost always starts tour your final tour 7-10 days before 2/3 Prelims. I don't see the big deal here, in fact for someone who is on the board of directors for your corps, you would think you wouldn't bring this up on DCP, but rather with DCI. Hmmm....

Obviously, DCI is going to have shows on the way out west. There will most likely be some II/III Focus shows along the way as well. You may have to plan two - three days extra to get out to CA. So, perhaps CS leaves Madison 12 days before II/III finals.

How can DCI expect this kind of blind committment to finals week if corps have no idea where it's going to be...

OK, I really don't understand this statement. Finals are in Pasadena, CA. Of course there is the possibility that II/III will be at a smaller stadium, but most likely not far from Pasadena. I'm sure DCI can give you a good idea of where II/III is going to take place.

Perhaps it's just me, but it really sounds like you are over-reacting.

I don't see how a seperate "finals" for corps that can't make the trip to Pasadena is a viable option from a competitive standpoint. If some corps go to Pasadena and some others go to this other show, how will a champion be determined? Or will this more centrally located show be in place of finals in Pasadena?

Personally, any change on this level would be nothing but a disappointing end to what is sure to be a great season. A big part of the drum corps experience is championships week.

I don't see how a seperate "finals" for corps that can't make the trip to Pasadena is a viable option from a competitive standpoint. If some corps go to Pasadena and some others go to this other show, how will a champion be determined? Or will this more centrally located show be in place of finals in Pasadena?

Personally, any change on this level would be nothing but a disappointing end to what is sure to be a great season. A big part of the drum corps experience is championships week.

Well, if a corps can't go to CA, for expense reasons, and there may be 8-10 how cannot...what's wrong with a show being coordinated in Nebraska, Iowa, and or Illinois? It could also include the II/IIIs from the east coast who are making the trip to CA. It wouldn't have to be a separate finals, just a show in the Midwest on the way to finals.

And with Teschke stepping down at CS, it makes it more difficult for another corps to make a Pasadena appearance possible.

Well, if a corps can't go to CA, for expense reasons, and there may be 8-10 how cannot...what's wrong with a show being coordinated in Nebraska, Iowa, and or Illinois? It could also include the II/IIIs from the east coast who are making the trip to CA. It wouldn't have to be a separate finals, just a show in the Midwest on the way to finals.

heh, then just think. Corps who arn't going to CA outscore those who are. Then what you'll have here on these forums are threads upon threads on why corps A should be considered suvh and such champion or some other hoopla that people here feel they need to argue about. :music:

I still like the idea of a show out East or wherever or the non CA corps though. Maybe like an exhibition/picnic/get together or something

and of course, the west coast inflation people. :lolhit:

Where is Drum Corps Midwest when you really need them? :worthy::poke::worthy:

Probably in the Blenski's backyard

Edited by bari_benzo

All this talk about having a separate show for all the corps who can’t make the trip to Pasadena is just bogus. Let’s make life easier for the east coast corps, screw the corps in the west. When finals were in Boston in 05, there wasn’t talk of having a show for all the corps from the west that couldn’t make the trip to the east coast. (BDB, SCVC, Mystikal, Gold, Spokane, Academy, Jester)

If you can’t make it, so be it. We’ll miss you, but finals will go on. :worthy: