Marc Sylvester steps down

Interesting indeed! See below...

In a recent meeting in New York, site of countless discussions between Marc Sylvester, program coordinator for the Cadets and George Hopkins, director of the Cadets and CEO of Youth Education in the Arts (YEA!), it was agreed that Marc will return to a consultants’ role with the Cadets beginning in 2007. The decision was Marc’s and is the result of his desire to stay more involved in the art world of New York.

Time on the road, time in meetings, the responsibilities of the Cadets is a great commitment, and at this juncture, more than Marc can promise. The change, considered over the past months of the summer, opens up the door for new influences in the world of the Cadets.

[Marc comments on the joys of The Cadets...]

Marc will continue with YEA! as a judge and clinician within the US Scholastic Band Association (USSBA), he will continue to offer advice and assistance to the Cadets’ design team, and he will be available for special programs and events as they occur over the space of the year. On the other hand, at the age of 50, Marc will no longer be traveling the 90 days of the summer, heading the design conversations, nor be the lead in the marching technique program.

George Hopkins, in discussing the change said "Twenty five years with the Cadets is something special. It has been quite the ride with Marc and I am thrilled to have worked along side him for so long, to be his friend, and to have been partners in such grand productions. From 'Kings Go Off to War' to the 2000 'We Are the Future' program to "The Zone Parts One and Two," there have been some great efforts and we have had a wonderful time together. I am happy the relationship will continue if at a lesser level. Indeed, this is something many of the team has talked about as we have been together for a long, long time. Eventually, we knew that something was going to change".

Hopkins has been in conversation with three different people/teams about joining the creative efforts. It is also possible the job responsibilities will be split between current team members. Though the 80’s and early 90’s the coordinator was Hopkins’ himself, and it is possible, with contributions from Bocook, Aungst, Larrivee, Sacktig, Lagola, and Uhlemann that the effort could continue without others. On the other hand, there is a distinct consideration that new blood will be added to the team, the staff, and to the Cadets’ organization. According to Hopkins, the ideal date for a decision here is early September!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No surprise here.

Hm, probably not. But The Cadets have had off years before and Marc stuck around, so I'm a little surprised. He's been there longer than anyone except Hop as far as I know...the exception being 1986 I think.

I think I think it's good news :P New blood can be a great thing.

Wow he looks fantastic for 50 IMO! (Just a side observation). Yes he was with us in 1986, he wrote our drill with help from Zingali or I guess you could say he consulted with Zingali on that drill.

I'm sure he's ready to slow down now. I wouldn't want to be touring at 50 either.

Oh no!!! :o Whatever will Cadet's do? I hope they had someone ready to step in for him.

In a recent meeting in New York, site of countless discussions between Marc Sylvester, program coordinator for the Cadets and George Hopkins, director of the Cadets and CEO of Youth Education in the Arts (YEA!), it was agreed that Marc will return to a consultants’ role with the Cadets beginning in 2007. The decision was Marc’s and is the result of his desire to stay more involved in the art world of New York.

Time on the road, time in meetings, the responsibilities of the Cadets is a great commitment, and at this juncture, more than Marc can promise. The change, considered over the past months of the summer, opens up the door for new influences in the world of the Cadets.

[Marc comments on the joys of The Cadets...]

Marc will continue with YEA! as a judge and clinician within the US Scholastic Band Association (USSBA), he will continue to offer advice and assistance to the Cadets’ design team, and he will be available for special programs and events as they occur over the space of the year. On the other hand, at the age of 50, Marc will no longer be traveling the 90 days of the summer, heading the design conversations, nor be the lead in the marching technique program.

George Hopkins, in discussing the change said "Twenty five years with the Cadets is something special. It has been quite the ride with Marc and I am thrilled to have worked along side him for so long, to be his friend, and to have been partners in such grand productions. From 'Kings Go Off to War' to the 2000 'We Are the Future' program to "The Zone Parts One and Two," there have been some great efforts and we have had a wonderful time together. I am happy the relationship will continue if at a lesser level. Indeed, this is something many of the team has talked about as we have been together for a long, long time. Eventually, we knew that something was going to change".

Hopkins has been in conversation with three different people/teams about joining the creative efforts. It is also possible the job responsibilities will be split between current team members. Though the 80’s and early 90’s the coordinator was Hopkins’ himself, and it is possible, with contributions from Bocook, Aungst, Larrivee, Sacktig, Lagola, and Uhlemann that the effort could continue without others. On the other hand, there is a distinct consideration that new blood will be added to the team, the staff, and to the Cadets’ organization. According to Hopkins, the ideal date for a decision here is early September!

:P

On the other hand, there is a distinct consideration that new blood will be added to the team, the staff, and to the Cadets’ organization. According to Hopkins, the ideal date for a decision here is early September!

I vote for new blood... I think it'd be good for the organization.

I vote for new blood... I think it'd be good for the organization.

Change can be good, good luck Marc! There is no other like you in the game. 50 is not too old for nuttin'

Nat

Sun 4ever