DCI Attendance Figures Announced

Does DCI include the numbers of the corps that may be sitting in the stands? If most of the Div 2/3 corps are watching Div 1 finals night, that's got to be a few thousand more people. Plus there are Div 1 semifinalists and finalists who play earlier that could also be in the stands.

Paid attendance plus your statement = what you thought it looked like; more full. More full = old school estimates.

It's fair to say, I believe, that there were about 30k in the stands on finals night. Bottom line is $$$ - that's the only fair way to judge.

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know, for as cool as Academy was, etc. etc., you can see why DCI might have less emphasis on D2/3. 4,190 paid attendance = a weeknight show in mid-america for D1.

I'm putting on a flame-retardant suit now, but 4,190 for 4 events, in the "big stadium" like everyone said they wanted... it should have been a perfect storm. Saturday show. Great corps. Buzz. Madison. And it was only half the size of quarterfinals over 4 events.

This seems to be a chronic problem. I can hardly imagine that 2/3 is profitable given these numbers.

This isn't a slam on anyone. This isn't a "well, why didn't you go". I'm just wondering what people think about the fact that 2/3 seems to not be able to draw audience. Why not? DCI hyped it, put it in the big bowl, and even has taken to make available APDs for them. All of it very good. But 4,190? Why aren't there more butts in $10 GA seats?

IMO, the line has already been drawn, through countless promotions of the big units over the years. Those are the ones that get the ads, the photos and articles, and get to play on Saturday night....and are where all the kids want to go.

Maybe since the "Top 12" is more than half the Division I corps now, we should reduce it to The Top 8 or 10, and feature the Division II and III champions on Saturday night as well.

The very essence of what drum corps is is in II/III....and it's where the future of the acitvity is. People should check it out... even if they're forced to on Saturday. :)

Part of the problem is the nature and design of Drum Corps itself. No matter how large the stadium is, only 50% of it can be effectively used for spectator purposes.

Part of the problem is the nature and design of Drum Corps itself. No matter how large the stadium is, only 50% of it can be effectively used for spectator purposes.

Right. Probably more like 30-35% (assume 5 yrd - 5 yrd). It depends upon the design of course. Upper decks make a difference. Some stadium really pile up the seats in the end zone.

As for Lucus oil facility, its seating capacity is 63K . It has some decks (see lower right of pdf file) though the rake of the seating doesn't seem that great (the higher the angle the better I believe). I wonder how much of that 63K is DC usable? I hoope DCI knows that answer. Check out this pdf file of the stadium and zoom in. Large seats (20" wide) for the ever expanding American. Lucas Oil Stadium

1994 is the highest on the list. Does anyone know why? It certainly wasn't because it was a competitive year....BD was undefeated!!! :sleep:

Well, just because they were undefeated doesn't mean the rest of the corps on the field were teh suxxors.

I remember 94 being one of the most exciting years ever! I loved Regiment's show.. I loved Vanguard.. I loved Scouts.. It was exciting seeing ALL those shows. It didn't matter that everybody knew BD was going to win..

And besides that, I'd spent the first half of the season getting totally burnt out on Devs. I hated that show when I got to Boston. By the end of the night on Saturday, they'd won me back.

It was a fantastic finals..

Only 20K..............., that's it???? Wow, I haven't been to DCI finals since Jimmy Carter was in office so I forgot what attendance was like

I'm now changing my mind about the Rose Bowl as a good venue for DCI. 20K in the Rose Bowl will seem like a drop in the bucket and cavernous. A smaller venue should be used and there are plenty of them in Southern California.

OTOH, maybe there will be a huge increase in attendance. Los Angeles has a TON of people and the high school band scene thrives, even though there are no major Division 1 Junior Corps in the area.

Only 20K..............., that's it????

OTOH, maybe there will be a huge increase in attendance. Los Angeles has a TON of people and the high school band scene thrives, even though there are no major Division 1 Junior Corps in the area.

Again, it's not about getting more people to attend; it's about a stadium's ability to accommodate. At Madison, for example, you would have had to sit on the 1-yard line, in the end zones, or on the opposite side to get a seat at finals. How could anyone be expected to pay for such seats? I believe, because of the configuration of the Rose Bowl, max attendance will be less than Madison, not because of interest but because the RB has 77 rows while Camp Randall has 70. But, CR has an upper deck with another 30 or so rows.

If the RB holds 90K and seating is naturally restricted between the 5-yards lines, how many will the RB hold?

13488s.gif

Again, it's not about getting more people to attend; it's about a stadium's ability to accommodate. At Madison, for example, you would have had to sit on the 1-yard line, in the end zones, or on the opposite side to get a seat at finals. How could anyone be expected to pay for such seats? I believe, because of the configuration of the Rose Bowl, max attendance will be less than Madison, not because of interest but because the RB has 77 rows while Camp Randall has 70. But, CR has an upper deck with another 30 or so rows.

If the RB holds 90K and seating is naturally restricted between the 5-yards lines, how many will the RB hold?

13488s.gif

Based on this diagram you could put 17,776 people in sections 3,4,5, & 6. this would roughly be the area between the 10 yard lines. since the diagram shows 88 rows (a-k and 1-77) and 101 seats in each 2 section combinations.

I would assume there would be some people sitting in sections 2 & 7 so they would probably break the 20,000 mark, but the stadium definately has a smaller capacity.

Edited by bluecoats88