Santa Clara Vanguard

What did you think about SCV's show this year? (It was "Moto Perpetuo" by Key Poulan.) In my opinion, it was a well written show. It really grabbed my attention.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This was my second favorite show (after the Cavies) this year.

The music was great (after 12 corps, I left the stadium at finals with the SCV ballad echoing in my head). I expect this will be my "most listened to" show of 2006 on the CDs.

More imprtantly, the show concept was outstanding, and the drill was there to live up to it. Unlike many show "concepts", this one was simple to understand (constant motion), and immediately engaging. It was gripping to see the multitude of ways the show was designed to make sure the motion never stopped. I saw the show four times, and each time was delighted by some new nuance. Machine had the same unity of concept and execution.

By contrast, other shows involve some pretty obscure imagery and (for example) film references that made the shows less immediately enjoyable. I am not arguing against complexity, but for the idea that the entire show concept should be readable as you are watching the show -- it should be self contained.

SCV did an outstanding job this year. Of course, I always seem to love SCV.

I loved it. Visually the cymbal line at the end with the lone trumpet player was awesome. Best exit since '87 Cadets.

I absolutely loved Vanguards show this year, although I have to admit there aren't many Vanguard shows I don't love.

Great music I had never heard before, great drill, very well presented and performed. I could have seen this show place anywhere from 4th to 6th place on any given night, and thought their finals week shows were absolutely amazing.

Can't wait to see what they perform next season, and looking forward to seeing them in California next year(also my first trip to California in over 25 years).

So did I miss it? What was the deal with the trumpet who marched the perimeter of the field during the show? The first time I saw the show I thought it was somebody being punished! I then saw he/she had a camera following him/her during semifinals. Also fitting with the perpetual motion them I guess. I liked the aggressiveness and velocity of the show as well.

Long story short, the guy injured himself, and couldn't march the show. SCV let him stay and let him march around by himself. Class move.

So did I miss it? What was the deal with the trumpet who marched the perimeter of the field during the show? The first time I saw the show I thought it was somebody being punished! I then saw he/she had a camera following him/her during semifinals. Also fitting with the perpetual motion them I guess. I liked the aggressiveness and velocity of the show as well.

He was injured mid season and could no longer perform the drill. Instead of going home, he stayed on tour and became "Mr. Moto". There are threads from a few weeks ago discussing him in more detail. One of the DCI journalists even did a bit on him on www.dci.org during championships.